Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been conducting a Best Game Ever contest on another forum...

Options
  • 17-12-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

and I thought I might share with you the tournament bracket so you can see how it panned out. Today's the final between Vice City and Super Mario 64, and at the moment Vice City is beginning to pull away

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=299595&tclass=

Before you complain about the choice of games, those games that were chosen to enter are the top 64 games of all time according to gamerankings.com. I thought it would be the fairest way of doing it rather than deciding the games myself.

There are some truly horrendous results in there I'll admit (Portal beating MGS3, games like LBP, Oblivion, and the two God of Wars getting knocked out in the 1st round) but anyone else want to comment on how it turned out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think the method of having one-on-one's is a mistake. For example, you have Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess vs. Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory (which shouldn't be near this list tbh!). What if you had placed TP against Ocarina of Time? There are multiple permutations you could make that would have resulted in different games in the final.

VC ftw though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting the public to decide these things is just wrong. You'll get flavour of the month games and other populist titles that should be in the list and not a whiff of the truly great but neglected gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Otacon wrote: »
    I think the method of having one-on-one's is a mistake. For example, you have Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess vs. Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory (which shouldn't be near this list tbh!). What if you had placed TP against Ocarina of Time? There are multiple permutations you could make that would have resulted in different games in the final.

VC ftw though.

Yeah I understand where you're coming from. One possibility I did consider was for each match to have four games, with the top two qualifying for the next round (much like the tournaments on GameFAQs if any of you are familiar with them), but I would've found it very difficult in grouping the games so it's as fair as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=299595&tclass=

There are so many wrong things on that page that I was staring at it for a good few minutes before I could get my head around it.

I'm not even going to bother picking examples out, I'd be here until the weekend if I did.

Advertisement