Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luttrellstown Golf course to close at end of 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

That comes as a big surprise, I believe Castleknock golf club are also encountering major difficulties in terms of membership. The country is slowly coming down like a deck of cards

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well if they let the Average Joe in then maybe it could have been avoided. Good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 universeo

I think it's a freat pity that luttrellstown golf club is closing down. My dad played there a few times and said it's a beautiful course. After all the money that was spent on it...such a waste:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I actually played it last september as part of a work outing. lovely course alright but pitched towards the high end of the market. yes it will be a loss because it was/is a lovely course, but how many high end courses can we have here. not all golfers are loaded. i'd say it's only a matter of time before that white elephant in Co.Laois The Heritage goes too.

The john daly designed course in cork is for sale, harbour point golf course in cork closing down next year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billser

i heard they are just getting rid of the members & will re-open as a more down to earth club. anyone know anymore??
    hope so cos its a sin to close it. superb course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I imagine that most of the clubs will 'rationalise' rather than go out of business altogether. Since land and property sales are so slow, it wouldnt make sense to have a clubhouse and the course sitting empty for months or years waiting for a sale. Better to re-open as a less elite club, perhaps even only for a couple of years until things turn around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I think the idea is to get rid of the members as they have playing rights etc and then reopen it purely as a business venture. It would leave the owners with a greater degree of flexibility re playing times as they would not have to factor in the members.

Have to say though its a great course and clubhouse - well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

played there on sat for the 1st time, amazing course i have to say, would be a shame to lose it.

Was sad also to see the castle boarded up, maybe posh and becks would invest some money in it to re-open.

I would guess it's closing down at the end of the year to get rid of the members, hopefully will re-open as a more accessible course to everyone, but I wonder would it be maintained as good..

course is in amazing condition for the time of year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joe Murphy

what2do wrote: »
    I think the idea is to get rid of the members as they have playing rights etc and then reopen it purely as a business venture. It would leave the owners with a greater degree of flexibility re playing times as they would not have to factor in the members.

Have to say though its a great course and clubhouse - well worth a visit

I'd have to say to
    "to get rid of the members as they have playing rights etc and then reopen it purely as a business venture."
    would be business suicide. The members are the life blood of any golf course. You only have to look at what happened to Carnbeg in Dundalk when they ditched the members -its a ghost course and is in receivership. Was running great for a number of years when members where taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Heard a rumour that the owners(horsey men)are lookig at the possibility of turning it into a racecourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Hard to have much sympathy for the house given the way they treated nearby residents with complete contempt. Anyone remember the firework display a couple of years back ? No permit, late at night, set off alarms in all the nearby estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Heard a rumour that the owners(horsey men)are lookig at the possibility of turning it into a racecourse.

Ironic considering Phoenix Park Racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Harbour Point Golf Club Closed 30th June 2009
    Owned by the Scally Family of Hayfield Manor Cork

Advertisement