Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake/bad "offers"

Options
  • 17-12-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw todays herald am, full page ad for www.pixels.ie

The ONLY item mentioned was a Lexar 2GB sd card for €20! and to top it off they had "limited to 2 per customer", http://www.pixels.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=823

this card does not even mention speed, just a bog standard card.

Peats have a kingston (better brand IMO) 2GB for €10, http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=20082
    That is not even a good deal, just first I checked, and not on offer.

€7 in dublin here http://maxburns.ie/start/secure-digital.html for a speed classed card

Dunno if many idiots actually fall for this crap attempt of a false offer. I see some people in tescos blindly putting stuff on offer in their trolleys, many times it is only 5cent reduce, but idiots fall for it, buying simply because they think it is a good deal.

Woodies & powercity do the same trick. Many see cheap stuff so presume it is all around the same price in every shop. So they have big signs saying its reduced, which it could well be, but is still way overpriced. People rip themselves off at the end of the day though, up to them to research.

EDIT: just read again and it also said "SD memory cards fit all compact digital cameras (except Sony & Olympus)"
    Now that is a definite consumer issue (I was going to post this in after hours it is so ludicrous). I can imagine some poor ignorant "non-tech-savy" person buying this card due to that woefully misleading statement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

people rarely shop around &v few know how much stuff should actually cost.if people investigated prices a little before purchasing these type of bad offers would go downhill fast

lol@2 per customer

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Wont fit either of my two Canon cameras either. LOL. They both use CF.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

new Canon DSLR's don't take CP anynore but the old one;s 400D etc certainly do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

to be fair buying that card does entitle you to download corel software which may be worth something? also a cheap place for memory cards is www.memoryC.com

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Cabaal wrote: »
    new Canon DSLR's don't take CP anynore but the old one;s 400D etc certainly do
    Not so.
    All Canon SLRs except for the two entry level models (1000D & 450D) use compact flash.

This includes The EOS 1Ds Mk iii, the EOS 1D Mk iii (takes SD in addition), the 5D, the 5D Mk ii (new), the 40D, and 50D (new).

Boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rubadub wrote: »
    ...€7 in dublin here http://maxburns.ie/start/secure-digital.html for a speed classed card....
    Extreme

A quality brand indeed... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

An old manager at the very start of my career once told me as I was labelling about a million items with red stickers "You label sh@t at half price and people will buy it".

It's true, some people just see bargain and go for it.

As I keep saying, businesses are businesses. They will continue to do the bear minimum they need to do to turn maximum profit. Obviously, in this case, this kind of deal works for them.

Simple answer? Don't give them your money, and tell others not to.

Advertisement