Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamland electric blanket problem

• 17-12-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi. Hoping someone can help. I bought one of these electric blankets and after a month its red light keeps flashing (its supposed to indicate that its reached the end of its timer period). It means that it won't heat up at all and is useless. I'd bring it right back but I just don't have the time until after christmas. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, don't take the control unit apart unless you know what you are doing and the fact you posted here suggests you don't, so it looks like its water bottle time uintil you can get a refund/replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

mamacita wrote: »
    Hi. Hoping someone can help. I bought one of these electric blankets and after a month its red light keeps flashing (its supposed to indicate that its reached the end of its timer period). It means that it won't heat up at all and is useless. I'd bring it right back but I just don't have the time until after christmas. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Hi, did you have any luck with this? Mine is doing the exact same thing, it's a couple of years old though - not sure how many. One of the controllers is fine, the other is flashing as you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jp wlliams

kenmc wrote: »
    Hi, did you have any luck with this? Mine is doing the exact same thing, it's a couple of years old though - not sure how many. One of the controllers is fine, the other is flashing as you describe.

Hi KENMC,

I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU. One contoller is fine and the other keeps flashing.

Have you solved yours yet?
    Mine was bought from Boots (we think) but we have no proof of purchase.

Regards

John

Yeah, I've got the exact same problem. The light flashs slightly differently than when it reaches the end of the timer. I noticed that if I flicked the switch on and off quite rapidly and at different speeds while the light flashes it would start working again but after a few nights of me getting it to work that way it it was impossible for me to get it to work. One side stopped after about 6 months and the other after about a year with little usage. I would bet a fiver that this is a problem put there on purpose to make people buy more electric blankets. I wouldn't mind but I paid about €80 for it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hodgson

We bought one of these blankets some 15 months ago and first one side stopped working and then the other. By switching them on and off we sometimes get them to work again but it's totally random and I wouldn't recommend these products to anyone else. There's no Imtec (the manufacturer) web site so I haven't been able to contact the company to see whether they'll do anything about it. It seems there's some form of design fault as there are plenty of references to problems with these particluar products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

Managed to find a UK customer service number for Imetec here

It seems Dimpco are the main distributors of these blankets in Ireland and provide some after sales service.

Was just about to go out and buy one of these blankets, think I'll stick to the hot water bottle for a while.

BTW on the Argos website these balnkets are listed as having a 3 year manufacturer's guarantee, so it might be worth chasing them if you still have proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Near lidl? They have overblankets for about 40 euro and underblankets for 15 when they have them in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Lots more info on this problem on the Consumer Issues forum here: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2055404357

Looks like it's a wide spread issue with these blankets

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kathie smith

I have one of these blanket (bought from Argos),with the same problem as described here. It was almost exactly 13 months from date of purchase. It has taken me till now to find out where to go for advice. I can't believe that this "known" issue with this blanket, hasn't been resolved. Off to find out what I can do, if anything.

I got on to Argos and was informed that the warranty on these blankets is 3 years BUT you have to contact the manufacturer who tell you to post it back to the UK for assessment at your own expense with proof of purchase. I went to the other thread here and got the "reset" instructions and they worked (for now anyway).

Advertisement