Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vinyl player?

• 17-12-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm a big jazzhead and was thinking of investing in an LP player - any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Project from Eastern Europe come highly recommended on these boards and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

excellent, thanks MediaTank :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yup. i have the project audio debut mk3 and its the business

right, is the turntable itself that important? In relation to the rest of the setup? And if I were to set things up well, does it have tocost me an arm and a leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

well it's all important, you hear the weakest link in the chain and all that. Depending on your amp you may also need a phono stage - some amps have 'em and some don't. Some projects have a small phono stage built in but they're not great. www.richersounds.ie have cheap and cheerful phono stages anyway, or www.superfi.co.uk
    There's nothing quite like vinyl, enjoy the revival!

• Advertisement

cheers Slaphead. What's the second-hand market like generally? Or am I best just to make one big investment? And my checklist for a good setup would be...? Sorry about all these novice questions, appreciate the help!

cheers Slaphead. What's the second-hand market like generally? Or am I best just to make one big investment? And my checklist for a good setup would be...? Sorry about all these novice questions, appreciate the help!

Normally I would know of a few S-H turntables but there's none around at the moment. Project are a very good starter deck though, nothing wrong with them at all.
    As the risk of stating the obvious... you'll need an amp, if it doesn't have a phono stage then you'll need that too... and a good pair of speakers. I know www.cloneyaudio,com have some good SH amps and speakers at the moment but they might be a bit on the high-end side, they have more than what's listed on the website so call them. That said you generally get what you pay for.
    Have a look at www.richersounds.ie as well but be aware this is very much entry level hifi (I expect flaming contradictions to that but it's nonetheless true).

That's great, thanks for your help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Ebay can be quite good, but you have to be careful on the quality of the items. You need a good cartridge/stylus too. Manual decks are generally the best soundwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

if you have an existing decent stereo you could add a line for a turntable eg Musical Fidelity XLP

as for me Im a rega man, but agree that the project TTs are excellent

enjoy,

mine is in storage at the moment looking forward to getting it back

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i just updated my project audio debut 3 for the project audio RPM5 superpack.

wow.

the difference is unreal. it has a better cart (ortofon tango MC) and tone arm, and is a better overall deck. excellent deck... its in the same league as the rega P3 and while the rega pips it slightly for sounds quality, the RPM5 is a fair bit cheaper when you take the arm and the cart into account.

adam

big_moe wrote: »
    its in the same league as the rega P3 and while the rega pips it slightly for sounds quality,

I dunno, at the risk of a flaming I think Regas are overrated and well past their sell-by date. I far prefer the open sound of a Project over the very British 'polite' sound of Rega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Hey, I'm a big jazzhead and was thinking of investing in an LP player - any recommendations?

Interesting to note that nobody mentioned where to put your new deck!
    Stick your new deck on a floor standing cabinet, in a house with a suspended timber floor and it will be a total disaster :-(

I agree with the above posters on the Pro-Ject deck, I love mine and have it for donkeys years, so it was/ is good value for money overall.
    But I have mine sitting on a wall mounted shelf, that way I can walk across the floor without the thing skipping all over the place. A good deck is pretty sensitive to external vibrations.
    So placement of the deck is something you want to consider.

Totally enjoy whatever you get, like I say, I got mine years ago, threw out many CD players, DVD players, and all the rest in the meantime, this thing lives on, you really will get good value for money over the long term.

Something about vinyl, dunno what it is, but it's got that "somethin" that CD's are missing !

Hate to resurrect this thread but...is it worth getting a proper sound sysyem to boot to get the most out of a turntable? It seems like a hefty investment all round, is it really worth it? Would anyone be able to list their setup for me, just to get a feel of what setups people have...? Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hate to resurrect this thread but...is it worth getting a proper sound sysyem to boot to get the most out of a turntable? It seems like a hefty investment all round, is it really worth it? Would anyone be able to list their setup for me, just to get a feel of what setups people have...? Thanks again :)

Yes definitely, there's not much point spending a bit on a turntable and running it through your generic stereo.It can be expensive but you don't have to go all out straight away, you can buy some decent gear and upgrade if and when you want to.Go to a dealers and listen to some setups is the best thing to do to give you a feel for different sounds from systems.Alternatively the used market is the best bang for your buck but it helps to know what your looking for and what to avoid, have you a budget in mind?

is it worth getting a proper sound sysyem to boot to get the most out of a turntable? It seems like a hefty investment all round, is it really worth it?
    Only you can decide if it's worth it or not.
    Some people are happy with a €200 system and some would view a €20,000 as a fairly modest hifi setup. You'll only ever hear the weakest link in your system whether that's a cable, a tired amp or saggy old speakers.

padi89 wrote: »
    Yes definitely, there's not much point spending a bit on a turntable and running it through your generic stereo.It can be expensive but you don't have to go all out straight away, you can buy some decent gear and upgrade if and when you want to.Go to a dealers and listen to some setups is the best thing to do to give you a feel for different sounds from systems.Alternatively the used market is the best bang for your buck but it helps to know what your looking for and what to avoid, have you a budget in mind?

Nope, no real budget, I'm thinking more long-term, when I can actually set aside a decent amount of money aside. Thanks for the reply :)

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Only you can decide if it's worth it or not.
    Some people are happy with a €200 system and some would view a €20,000 as a fairly modest hifi setup. You'll only ever hear the weakest link in your system whether that's a cable, a tired amp or saggy old speakers.

Cool. Are there any websites that are helpful for novices like me? :D thanks for your input :)

Cool. Are there any websites that are helpful for novices like me? :D thanks for your input :)
    well if you look at http://www.cloneyaudio.com/pre-owned.shtml you'll see Ruark speakers for €995 and an Audiolab amp for €400. That's a very solid start in hifi young man! That amp will have a good phono stage too so no need for those cheap phono-stages.
    That would keep you happy for years and then, if you wish, you might upgrade one component or just an interconnect or whatever.

Cloney usually have more second hand stock than they advertise so don't be shy about asking either.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    well if you look at http://www.cloneyaudio.com/pre-owned.shtml you'll see Ruark speakers for €995 and an Audiolab amp for €400. That's a very solid start in hifi young man! That amp will have a good phono stage too so no need for those cheap phono-stages.
    That would keep you happy for years and then, if you wish, you might upgrade one component or just an interconnect or whatever.

Cloney usually have more second hand stock than they advertise so don't be shy about asking either.

Excellent, thanks Slaphead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

TNT audio is a good website and also hifi world is a useful magazine for vinyl lovers. There are lots of 2nd hand dealers advertising their wares too.
    Often you don't need to buy new. All my equipment other then amplifier is 2nd hand.

Advertisement