Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickenpox Vaccine

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Crea wrote: »
    Asked my GP about getting the vaccine yesterday and she said that her surgery wasn't licenced to order directly from pharmaceutical companies and they got their vaccines from the HSE. Given this isn't one of the vaccines normally given the HSE don't stock it so the GP cannot order this vaccine for me.
    Neither my husband nor I have ever had chicken pox. If we were to get it and become very ill it would have a major impact on our household and income.
    I recon that it should be manditory for ADULTS who have never had chicken pox to get the vaccine as the adult form is more serious. Shame on HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Crea did your GP check both your bloods to see if you're immune or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Crea wrote: »
    Asked my GP about getting the vaccine yesterday and she said that her surgery wasn't licenced to order directly from pharmaceutical companies and they got their vaccines from the HSE. Given this isn't one of the vaccines normally given the HSE don't stock it so the GP cannot order this vaccine for me.
    Neither my husband nor I have ever had chicken pox. If we were to get it and become very ill it would have a major impact on our household and income.
    My GP can order it no problem. If I were you I would change my doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Just saw this now - sorry to drag up old posts.

Littlebug- defo not immune. I was checked when pg last year.
    Axel- that's interesting. must do some ringing around. Good to know, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I was thinking of getting this vaccine too. I was exposed to chicken pox when pregnant ( had tests done previously and knew I'd never had it myself and thus no immunity) and had to go to hospital to be put on an IV drip to protect my baby. Thankfully I never developed it but still no immunity so I enquired from my gp- he told me to ask the local pharmacist to order it for me and then he would give me the injections. I checked with the pharmacist, I think ( this was over a year ago) it would cost around €140- you need two injections, they have an expiry date, they have to be given about a month apart into the buttocks. I haven't done it yet but really need to get it done as I have two children who could get it any day now and don't fancy the adult version!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

That's mad! My GP told me all I have to do is phone her the month before I bring him in and she can order it in for me. She also said it would only cost €50. Maybe the child's one is cheaper however methinks Ill be paying €150! :(

Advertisement