Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are beauty companies allowed use models who are botoxed/have had plastic surgery?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

You know the adverts on TV... like the Andy McDowell one for L'Oreal. The woman has clearly had a **** load of plastic surgery, is botoxed like crazy (she can't move her face) and the camera has a soft lens. In my opinion this means the advert is dishonest - L'Oreal products are not the reason she looks young.

How is this allowed? It's false advertising.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Neither will using Axe have tens of girlfriends comming running over to you nor is the political party following their promises to you. It is legal because they are not steppnig far enough in the lies and it is part of the media society of today which books such as "The Virus" by Thorin (only found on amazon.com and a few selected American web sites) goes in on how and why :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

AARRRGH wrote: »
    You know the adverts on TV... like the Andy McDowell one for L'Oreal. The woman has clearly had a **** load of plastic surgery, is botoxed like crazy (she can't move her face) and the camera has a soft lens. In my opinion this means the advert is dishonest - L'Oreal products are not the reason she looks young.

hows it any different from photoshopped models in mags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've always thought the same. You get something like "Introducing Roc's new keep young product" and they have some older woman, who looks great. Now, since this is a new product, she obviously hasn't been using it for years, so what gives? I usually don't pay that much attention to them, but then, I'm not their target demographic.

Like all advertising, they use a certain amount of poetic licence, to get their point across, and sell their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't think they make any definite specific claims, so it is really you coming to that conclusion.

It is sort of just inferred that she uses it, I never saw claims you would end up looking like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I know there are other adverts which are also full of ****, but I think they should have to be more honest. For example, the L'Oreal advert are clearly inferring Andy McDowell uses their products, so I think it would be fair if she had to state what surgery she's had. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I think the worst example is the ad with Jane Fonda-that bint looks younger because of her facelift!!!!
    On the same vein, has anyone noticed that on ads for mens razors, the men are shaving what are already freshly shaved faces! :confused:

I know there are other adverts which are also full of ****, but I think they should have to be more honest. For example, the L'Oreal advert are clearly inferring Andy McDowell uses their products, so I think it would be fair if she had to state what surgery she's had. :)

"I had my jaw broke and botox, I also use l'oreal cause i'm worth it" ?

dunno about that

it's a bit like showing wayne rooney in football boots

they won't make you play like him, hopefully they wont make you look like him, but they're so good he uses them

that's all the advert is saying..

ntbell, I dont think its a fair comparasion, the football boots do not play the game but the moisturiser is advertised to do all the work.

The actress/model generally strokes their face and makes some kind of statement that the state of her face/complexion is due to the chemicals in the cream. The boots on the other hand generally advertise that they help the already talented player.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my gf pointed out an ad for mascara that has written in tiny writing along the bottom "fake eyelashes used for comercial"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You know the adverts on TV... like the Andy McDowell one for L'Oreal. The woman has clearly had a **** load of plastic surgery, is botoxed like crazy

Nah she hasn't, if you look at normal recent photos of her she looks about 15-20 years older. It's just they've airbrused the video footage.

I'd never buy cosmetics based on an advert. Always check beaut.ie or makeupalley for reviews first.

• Advertisement

axel rose wrote: »
    ntbell, I dont think its a fair comparasion, the football boots do not play the game but the moisturiser is advertised to do all the work.

The actress/model generally strokes their face and makes some kind of statement that the state of her face/complexion is due to the chemicals in the cream. The boots on the other hand generally advertise that they help the already talented player.

I've never seen/heard an advert stating if you use this you will look like this the, the implication is there but it's never said.

The advert imply's the boots will make you play better....they won't...

the loreal advert imply's your skin/hair/whatever will look like whomever....they won't...

I don't see much of a difference....

if people buy products thinking they will look like someone in the advert then tbh they deserve to be parted with their hard earned money...

Can't argue with the last point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I think all national schools and early secondary school years should be shown the effects of airbrushing , ie the before and after pictures just to see what is done to those models that they aspire to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Havent seen Jackie Lavin on any of these adverts :eek: :D

ntlbell wrote: »
    I've never seen/heard an advert stating if you use this you will look like this the, the implication is there but it's never said.
    Yep, and so not legally false.

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'd never buy cosmetics based on an advert. Always check beaut.ie or makeupalley for reviews first.

WTF!!

YOU'RE FEMALE?!?!

/Teh internet, you just never know!

WTF!!

YOU'RE FEMALE?!?!

she uses a mac, wasn't it obvious?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

So what if people advertising moisturiser or whatever have had plastic surgery??

The ad's for men's razors all have beautiful women in the ad, the message being buy our razor and you to will get it on with a hot girl who'll stroke your face.

Its been like this for years, buy a certain thing and you will be forever young/fertile/thin/successful/attractive to men (or women)/smart/clean. The problem comes when you buy into the advertising! ad campaigns can cost millions to run do you think they'd make as much money if they did Jane Fonda pre-face lift? Nope.

Also.. slightly off topic but has anyone seen MadMen? Very good look into the advertising world set in the 70's me thinks? could be wrong. anyway one of my favourite episodes is where one of the companies contracts is Lucky Strikes (the cigarettes) and it's just come out that cigarettes are unhealthy, they spin they put on it is hilarious!

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep, and so not legally false.

Ah, I'm sure they're not breaking any laws, but they're still being dishonest.

I don't mind if the woman in the advert is good looking (an aging cream won't change your bone structure, everyone knows that), but she should not be surgically/digitally enchanced to look younger, as that is directly related to the product they're selling.

It's sort of like a deodorant company saying "this person hasn't had a shower in one month but still smells good", but forgetting to mention he hand washed his armpits everyday.

I don't mind if the woman in the advert is good looking (an aging cream won't change your bone structure, everyone knows that), but she should not be surgically/digitally enchanced to look younger, as that is not something the cream can do.

Are you also suggesting here that gillete is in fact _not_ the best a man can get? I don't believe it....

• Advertisement

WTF!!

YOU'RE FEMALE?!?!

blatant false advertising! eth0_- wheres your jessica rabbit avatar? all wimmins should have them ;)
    Yeah, better word. Like those ads with lads with rippling 6-packs using those electrocution ab toning belts.

rubadub wrote: »

Yeah, better word. Like those ads with lads with rippling 6-packs using those electrocution ab toning belts.

I got my 6-pack from my shaving foam..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Lipstick,
    Make up (eye liner, powder, foundation etc)
    Waxing
    Curling irons
    Boob jobs
    Teeth bleeching
    lip suction
    botox
    piercings and jewlery
    tummy tight flatteners
    Plucked eyebrows

Women lie. Get used to it.

Pilloring an advertiser for false advertising??

No-one wants to buy stuff that makes you look ugly / old etc.

I'm sorry you feel jealous / angry /deceived / insert bitter here, but that's the way of the world.

I don't hear you complaining that they put nail varnish on fruit to make it look better.

Lipstick,
    Make up (eye liner, powder, foundation etc)
    Waxing
    Curling irons
    Boob jobs
    Teeth bleeching
    lip suction
    botox
    piercings and jewlery
    tummy tight flatteners
    Plucked eyebrows

Pilloring an advertiser for false advertising??

No-one wants to buy stuff that makes you look ugly / old etc.

I'm sorry you feel jealous / angry /deceived / insert bitter here, but that's the way of the world.

I don't hear you complaining that they put nail varnish on fruit to make it look better.

Eh... calm down there. :confused:

I'm not angry / jealous / deceived / bitter.

I'm just puzzled that advertisers are allowed give the impression a woman who has had a lot of surgery/botox got her young look via their anti-aging cream.

Strange...

OK...?

As long as it's Rimmel I don't mind too much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm just puzzled that advertisers are allowed give the impression a woman who has had a lot of surgery/botox got her young look via their anti-aging cream.

Can you PROVE it wasn't the cream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

WTF!!

YOU'RE FEMALE?!?!

LOL yes I am :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Can you PROVE it wasn't the cream ;)

Actually, it was the cream.

If she wasn't doing the ad, she wouldn't be appearing in the the ad, with soft lens and arefully edited video footage.

So, indirectly at least, the cream is in fact responsible for her youthful looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    my gf pointed out an ad for mascara that has written in tiny writing along the bottom "fake eyelashes used for comercial"

there's a load of them now or we have used natural hair extensions and so on

Advertisement