Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross Batten vs Suspended Ceiling

• 17-12-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have had a look at previos posts and while some refer to cross battening or a suspended ceiling under a concrete floor slab. I would like to know what people think is the better option. I have a carpenter friend who recommends the suspended metal ceiling as he says that cross battening can be a pain because the underside of the concrete slab is never even. I know the metal system is more expensive but does anyone have any thoughts on it - is it worth the extra expense for a more level ceiling or should I just let the carpenter worry about cross battening and the uneveness??

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

rebellad wrote: »
    I have had a look at previos posts and while some refer to cross battening or a suspended ceiling under a concrete floor slab. I would like to know what people think is the better option. I have a carpenter friend who recommends the suspended metal ceiling as he says that cross battening can be a pain because the underside of the concrete slab is never even. I know the metal system is more expensive but does anyone have any thoughts on it - is it worth the extra expense for a more level ceiling or should I just let the carpenter worry about cross battening and the uneveness??

youve just asked a question only you can answer...

do you want to go to the expense in order to have a more level ceiling?

your carpenter friend has already advised which is best....

if you are asking "can my carpenter produce a level ceiling to the same quality as a proprietary system?" the answer is probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Thanks Syd, I guess what I am trying to get is info from people who have used either option and if so were they happy with them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks Syd, I guess what I am trying to get is info from people who have used either option and if so were they happy with them.

i have seen them used more in situations where there is large open rooms where the levels vary greatly over large spans.

if you only have rooms where the dims are in the range of 4 x 5 m etc then, unless the slabs are completely all over the place, i wouldnt consider it. The carpenter should earn his money and product the best result possible.

If the slabs are in place already, then try this trick....

set up an acro in one corner of the room.... and walk through the room checking the differences in level between slabs.... and differences in levels along spans of the same slab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

On recent project a contractor offered to change my spec from timber cross battens to metal system at no extra materials cost - because time/effort/labour was less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Rebellad

concrete beams are always slightly bowed.

Option 1. Timber either 50 x 44 or 50 x 35
    50 x 44 wd rough @ €66.82 per 100mtrs [EMAIL="vat@21.5%"]vat@21.5%[/EMAIL] inc
    50 x 35 wd rough @ €53.15 per 100 mtrs [EMAIL="vat@21.5%"]vat@21.5%[/EMAIL] inc
    + nailing + straigtening/packing out timber level

MF5 Ceiling section 3.6m Lens @ €6.28 Len vat inc
    MF6A perimeter channell 3.6m lens @€;3.90 len vat inc
    GA2 Angle 2.9m lens @€;3.56 len vat inc
    MF9 connection clips [EMAIL="box200@€49.00"]box200@€49.00[/EMAIL] box inc vat
    MF7 primary support channell 3.6m lens @€;5.07 inc vat
    Need to do costings, average price check with builders merchants.
    You can if reqd insulate between timbers or metal system
    Heatherview

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi rebellad
    Back again found document on metal stud will attach.
    Forgot to mention options then have to slab & plaster.
    Heatherview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

My 2 pence worth,

I recently went through the same dilemma... what swayed me was that my carpenter built his own house recently and even he went for the metal ceiling on his concrete slabs. So if he thought the wooden battens were the way to go he could have done it himself much cheaper.

The men that done my house were in and out in one day and it looks very good, you can drop it 4 inches or as many as you need to fit recessed lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Gerry if you wouldn't mind me asking was there a big difference in price between going the batten route or the metal route??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Rebellad,

I didn't even price the wooden route in the end, the metal route cost me €14 per square metre all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

Am actually looking for a crowd that do suspended ceilings at the moment. If any of you know people in the south east area could you PM the details please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Glulam

the metal is the only way to go. I put in the Gyproc system in my house earlier this and the ceilings are dead level.
    I dropped the grid 400m from the underside of the slab for a service duct put all my electrical and pipework in this void before the slabs went on.
    See attached for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

have concrete floors, with cross battens....take it from me a complete nightmare, metal is the only way to go!!!

don't forget to install "christmas trees" in the slab makes it easier to
    keep the wiring tidier later

Advertisement