Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DNS Settings?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im on eircom obv. 2mb broadand and twice over the last two weeks,
    I havent been able to go on the net.
    Im able to connect to the router through either wireless on my laptop or by hardwiring the laptop to the router, but its the connection to the internet thats gone all bollicky.

Windows suggested that it could be a problem with the DNS settings.
    I havent really any idea what thats about except is how ips get turned into addresses right?

Well anyway, on both occasions I just left it overnight and it was grand by morning.

Any Idea what it could be?

Many thanks in advance. And sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You have to be methodical in these situations. Firstly check to see if you are actually connected to the internet before you start messing around with your settings.

http://192.168.1.254 will take you to the settings page and will tell you if the connection is up.

If the dns was gone totally bang you would not be able to connect at all.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im on eircom obv. 2mb broadand and twice over the last two weeks,
    I havent been able to go on the net.
    Im able to connect to the router through either wireless on my laptop or by hardwiring the laptop to the router, but its the connection to the internet thats gone all bollicky.

Windows suggested that it could be a problem with the DNS settings.
    I havent really any idea what thats about except is how ips get turned into addresses right?

Well anyway, on both occasions I just left it overnight and it was grand by morning.

Any Idea what it could be?

Many thanks in advance. And sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

dub45 wrote: »
    You have to be methodical in these situations. Firstly check to see if you are actually connected to the internet before you start messing around with your settings.

http://192.168.1.254 will take you to the settings page and will tell you if the connection is up.

If the dns was gone totally bang you would not be able to connect at all.
    Connected ok there, no problems?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jammyc wrote: »
    Connected ok there, no problems?

If in the future you 'appear' to lose connection the first thing you should do is check if you are actually connected to the net. Then if you are connected you begin to try other solutions but always be slow to tamper with your basic settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

dub45 wrote: »
    If in the future you 'appear' to lose connection the first thing you should do is check if you are actually connected to the net. Then if you are connected you begin to try other solutions but always be slow to tamper with your basic settings.
    Great thanks, Ill bear that in mind. Thanks for the help!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

If you need new DNS servers:
    Easy to remember too!

Their Level3

• Advertisement
Advertisement