Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Targa Net Book €369.99 in LIDL

• 17-12-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Coming Monday Dec 22 to Lidl

Targa Traveller 1016 Netbook - €369.99

10.2" screen - doesn't mention WIFI in specs but presuming it has it if it is a net book!

* Get the latest technology on the market wth this Traveller Netbook! Utilising Intel’s smallest processor, this Netbook is ultra-lightweight and energy efficient. This is the perfect device to keep you connected - send email and surf the Web, visit social networking sites and enjoy your digital videos and music on the go!
    * And all at an unbelievable price!
    * Weighs only 1.3Kg
    * Operation time up to 4.5 hours
    * Product Advantages:
    * Intel’s Smallest ProcessorIntel® Atom™ N270 1,6 GHz
    * As Intel’s smallest and lowest power processor, built with the world’s smallest transistors, the Intel® Atom™ processor enables the latest Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) and another new category of devices for the internet called netbooks and nettops.
    * All this while delivering the power and performance you need for full Internet capabilities.
    * Get a new range of power-efficient devices with excellent performance enabled by all new hafnium-infused 45nm high-k silicon technology
    * Increase energy efficiency in smaller more compact designs with a thermal design power specification ranging from less than 1W to 2.5 watts for mobile devices
    * Extend battery life in select devices with an incredibly low idle and average power allowing the device to stay powered on while also conserving energy
    * Hard Drive:
    * Toshiba 160 GB Hard Drive
    * The Targa multimedia notebook is fitted with a 160GB Toshiba hard disk drive combining Toshiba’s proven and reliable HDD technology with a Serial ATA interface to provide increased performance, capacity and compatibility. This state of the art HDD also features low power consumption with adaptive power modes, read/write cache for increased performance, internal shock detection and ramp loading technology to help protect your drive.
    * Software Package:
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition incl. Service pack3 (OEM)
    * Corel® Office Home (OEM)
    * Corel® Draw Essentials 3 (OEM)
    * PVT Autoroute 2008 (OEM)
    * Bullguard-Antivirus (OEM)
    * HD-Tronic recovery software

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Any mention of RAM ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Much much better Samsung NC10 Netbook available from Elara.ie at the same price.
    Better webcam, bluetooth and far superior battery in Samsung NC10
    http://elara.ie/products/notebooks.asp?mancode=&anyallexact=all&manu=&searchBtn=Search&srch=nc10&productcode=&offset=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ongarite wrote: »
    Much much better Samsung NC10 Netbook available from Elara.ie at the same price.
    Better webcam, bluetooth and far superior battery in Samsung NC10
    http://elara.ie/products/notebooks.asp?mancode=&anyallexact=all&manu=&searchBtn=Search&srch=nc10&productcode=&offset=
    QFT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 for the samsung. Wouldnt bother with the targa at that price, maybe if it was 300 it'd be a decent deal, but not at 369. Boourns

And you can have it before Christmas, even tomorrow if you collect from ParkWest depot.

**Don't mention Basquille and TheHut/Sendit**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

**Don't mention Basquille and TheHut/Sendit**
    ferrignohulka.jpg

Now look what you did...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For the same money I'd go with the samsung as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd echo the sentiment.
    There is absolutely no justification for spending 370 quid on this when you can a vastly superior Samsung for the exact same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Thanks for the replies - wasn't so sure about the value myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Devils advocate here :)

Based on this link which I swiped from the thread over in laptops forum :

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/12/targa-traveler-1016-netbook-coming-soon-to-european-grocery-stores.html

"Starting on December 15th, you’ll be able to buy a Targa Traveler 1016 at Lidl stores. The netbook has a 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a 160GB hard drive. It packs a 10.2 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel display, a 6 cell battery, 3 USB ports, 802.11b/g/draft-n WiFi, Bluetooth, an flash card reader, and a 1.3MP webcam. The netbook weighs 1.3kg or about 2.9 pounds and will cost 369 Euros or about $475 US."

Link to Targa site here
    http://www.targa.co.uk/index.jsp?SID=0&NAV=236&DOC=&PAGE=&PCAT=2&PROD=460&PTUBE=12&PARAMS=&PARAMS2=&SPCAREA=

This device has wireless N which is a plus over the Samsung laptop. Obviously not important unless you use a wireless N router to shift files around your network or stream video, etc. I do and have found wireless N to be a big step up overall.

It only appears to have 10/100mb wired network connection while the Samsung seems to have a Gb etherenet connection.

Hard disk is the same as the Samsung in terms of size, ram is the same, processor is the same. The battery seems to be the same also (6 Cell). Bluetooth is present too or so the link claims.

Keyboard and feel may be big points, no idea on this. Looking at the keyboard layouts between the two machines they seem very similar.

Very few differences between the Samsung apart from the Targa having better wireless support and a 3 year warranty with the Targa.

Seems a reasonable price to me based on the above specs.

Point out where I may have it wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Its less than 20 quid to upgrade the wireless card to N- while its a total bitch to do anything with the ethernet as its onboard. I'd far rather the gigabit network port and a/b/g wireless than a 10/100 ethernet port and wireless N.

I have wireless N (which I upgraded myself) on a Dell. I've yet to find a wifi spot that supports it (indeed even now there are very few that support G). The purpose of a netbook is portability. Unless you have your own N router at home (which I do) its pointless.

I'd value the gigabit ethernet socket far higher than an N wifi card.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its less than 20 quid to upgrade the wireless card to N- while its a total bitch to do anything with the ethernet as its onboard. I'd far rather the gigabit network port and a/b/g wireless than a 10/100 ethernet port and wireless N.

I have wireless N (which I upgraded myself) on a Dell. I've yet to find a wifi spot that supports it (indeed even now there are very few that support G). The purpose of a netbook is portability. Unless you have your own N router at home (which I do) its pointless.

I'd value the gigabit ethernet socket far higher than an N wifi card.

Apart from plugging a usb wireless card I don't see the average user upgrading the wireless to be honest. Having to have another usb stick with you would be a pain. Agreed that there may not be many wireless N points around yet but that is the way it will move ultimately. Wireless n downgrades to b/g anyway so no problems there anyway.

Regarding portability, wired connections aren't exactly all that suited to portability either. You need at least a cat 5e or above cabling, gb switch. It only really only matters if you're on an office network I suspect and you may have a desktop in that environment.

I've never come across a use for gigabit ethernet in my travels in the like of hotels etc.

I'm still not seeing how this laptop is as bad as everyone claims? Obviously never having tried the keyboard, that could be the biggest problem but it looks fine to me. Of course theres nothing wrong with the samsungs either.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that you have a known quality product, Samsung NC10, acknowledged as the best 10" netbook presently available and an unknown Targa 10" netbook for the same price.
    While they may look very similar, the 6-cell battery last 8hrs in the Samsung Vs 4.5hrs in the Targa, the LED screen of the NC10 is also known as the best of any netbook, we don't know is Targa is CCFL or LED.
    Is the Targa a Msi Wind U100 OEM clone? Again we don't know.

If it were my money and I didn't have a netbook, I would buy the one thats has all the good reviews and feedback from users Vs an unknown Targa netbook if both were the same price.

I'm not buying it because it a Aldi, Lidl product as I have bought loads from them over the years.

For those of you planning on going North at the weekend or early next week- its £299 over the border (and the Euro is now at 94.8p Sterling.......)
    The Samsung NC10 is £319.99 in PC World (Lisburn)

I think the point I'm trying to make is that you have a known quality product, Samsung NC10, acknowledged as the best 10" netbook presently available and an unknown Targa 10" netbook for the same price.

Fair point.

Its funny how things change though. Only 2-3 months ago someone asked me about the NC-10 and at the time while it looked nice I told them to stick with the Eee as it was a known good quantity while Samsung was brand new and no-one had a clue what they would be like, what kind of aftersales support etc there was for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭whytek

machalla wrote: »
    Agreed that there may not be many wireless N points around yet but that is the way it will move ultimately. Wireless n downgrades to b/g anyway so no problems there anyway.

Just in case any normal home broadband user type people are taking this discussion seriously, rest assured that for your general browsing/youtube/facebook/webmail etc it really doesn't matter, even your Wireless G is well faster than your internet connection.

Let me put it this way, If you are wondering about whether or not you need Wireless N, then you don't.

Yep, well put.

Did anyone get one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭whytek

A friend just got one, I just had a skype call with him from his local pub. He seemed happy, although it could be the pints and having just got off work for xmas!
    He was using a 3G usb modem, I dunno which company. the skype video frame rate was pretty bad.

Audio was good, built in mic let me hear lots of pub rowdyness, but I could make out what he was saying well enough without him having to get too close.
    From what I could tell, the quality of the webcam was good, considering that the pub would be "low-light conditions".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Targa Netbook €369.00 No 28 Days Returns Policy

Beware of Lidl there 28 days no quibble money back returns policy does NOT apply to their "Targa"computers or if it does its very much at their discretion.

On their website www.lidl.ie and their e-mail newsletter Lidl say nothing about this.

Regards,

John

Advertisement