Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

dublin to kilkenny best route?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Is the best route kilkenny via portlaois or Carlow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

carlow

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Carlow is the most usual route but with a bottleneck at Castledermot (eternal roadworks). Carlow itself is now bypassed so that's a big plus.
    Athy is another option but it's a poor road and Athy can be a major bottleneck.
    Staying on the motorway for longer is another option until near portlaoise (exit 17 I think) but abbeyleix can be a bottleneck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Its an atrocious road anyway you go but usually I go via carlow. The roads are bad, the traffic is bad and there is nowhere to overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roll on end 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

If your traveling mid-day, i.e not around 4 or 5 in the evening, abbeyleix/castledermot should be grand, I hate going the athy way, just seems to take forever and the road isn't great.

You should be getting to Kilkenny in about an hour and a half easily on a clear run from the red cow going by the Carlow route, and slightly longer going via Portlaoise -> Durrow -> Ballyragget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

In 30 years I've never went home to KK via Portlaoise. Carlow all the way, esp with the new by-pass.
    I go Nth County Dublin to KK in 1hr 40m (thats without setting any new land-speed records).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

Cheers folks Carlow it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

The Carlow way is about ten mins quicker than the portloaise way like the guys said if you go the portlaoise way you have a longer motorway section, the castlecomer athy route is slower becasue of the bad roads but it is the shortest distance wise you can check all the routes on the michelin route planner website, it lets you choose between many variations like recommended, shortest and quickest etc routes, check the website out is has good maps aswell and directions.

Advertisement