Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressage lessons in North co Dublin

Options
  • 17-12-2008 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get back into riding after an almost 5yr break :eek: but am having a hard time finding suitable lessons and would love to get some pointers.

I've visited a few riding schools nearby but the lessons seem to be pretty much just riding around the arena in a queue or jumping but I'm really not into jumping at all and would like to get lessons with plenty of attention to my position and aids, not just the standard heels down, rising trot :rolleyes:

So where/how could I find some lessons for a dressage enthusiast? I've ridden most of my life but like said, haven't been anywhere near a horse in years so am not feeling that confident at the moment! I'd like to eventually buy a horse of my own, that will probably make it easier to get into dressage properly but I really need to get some lessons first to brush off the cob webs...
    Not necessarily looking for a proper riding school or anything fancy, maybe even for someone giving lessons with their own horse?

I live in Malahide and would love to find something within a 40min drive.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thetonkatoy

is North Kildare too far?? probably is....but thought id ask!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's always tough trying to find lessons suited to what you want without having to have some 'give-and-take', though there's nothing worse than being in with a group who are a level below you and getting basic training, when you want a few specific pointers. You could try looking up all the riding schools in your area and the surrounding areas and then contacting them to find out if they provide group lessons suited to you. If not, you may be looking at joining in with 'standard' lessons, or else looking into some private lessons. Or you could try find one or two people who are looking for the same thing as you and try organise a few group lessons aimed directly at your needs.

Mod hat on for a minute: please don't post personal details for instructors, etc. here. If you do have names and numbers please PM ann81.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Most RS will provide private lessons for rider who want to concentrate on a specific area; it would be worth enquiring, even if it meant you did a private every second week... it would cost the same as a group lesson a week...

I know ours does anyway and we have Dressage Trainers;

pm sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

Leinster Stud in Maynooth do private lessons dressage/flatwork.
    pm me if you want contact details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ann81

Thanks a mil for all the replies and pm's, they've been very helpful!

Now all I have to do is dust off my riding gear and maybe get some new breeches... my old ones seem to have shrunk since I last wore them :eek::D

best of luck now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 willowtree

ann81 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get back into riding after an almost 5yr break :eek: but am having a hard time finding suitable lessons and would love to get some pointers.

I've visited a few riding schools nearby but the lessons seem to be pretty much just riding around the arena in a queue or jumping but I'm really not into jumping at all and would like to get lessons with plenty of attention to my position and aids, not just the standard heels down, rising trot :rolleyes:

So where/how could I find some lessons for a dressage enthusiast? I've ridden most of my life but like said, haven't been anywhere near a horse in years so am not feeling that confident at the moment! I'd like to eventually buy a horse of my own, that will probably make it easier to get into dressage properly but I really need to get some lessons first to brush off the cob webs...
    Not necessarily looking for a proper riding school or anything fancy, maybe even for someone giving lessons with their own horse?

I live in Malahide and would love to find something within a 40min drive.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,,
    I am in Swords moved there about 3 years ago from Portmarnock. You post might aswell be me,, word for word. I really want to get back to dressage. Been riding since I was four,, and havent been up properly in about 5 years. A couple of lessons but dont suit. Mostly jumping and I love flat. Like you I'm Soooooooooo Rusty its not even funny so would like to easy back in and enjoy it.
    I have rang a few places and not looking to good. But horse sharing was mentioned. Around 50 a week and you will get the horse for 3 days a week, easier to get dressage lesson with own horse. alot of place just before ashbourne,,, rolstown kinda area

If you are interest please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This lady has done a few clinics in the yard where I am and personally I like her method of training.

http://www.dressageireland.ie/training/trainersdetails.php?id=28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 willowtree

Borderfox wrote: »
    This lady has done a few clinics in the yard where I am and personally I like her method of training.

http://www.dressageireland.ie/training/trainersdetails.php?id=28

thanks a million for that,,, one question tho,, do u need to have your own horse to have a lesson with her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

When they did the clinics in Thornton Park you could use a school horse, I would imagine in their place you would need your own horse

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yvonnemonahan

mod edit: <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Please don't drag up old threads just to pimp your services.

/Thread closed.

Advertisement