Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aran Islands

Options
  • 17-12-2008 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Has anyone actually been there and are they worth going to ?

Also couldn't find it on the web but how far is InisMor (the biggest and nearest island) from Galway ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Like Killarney only you have to take a boat/plane out

Very touristy sort of spot imho

If you want to go to a nice tranquil mostly unspoilt island I recommend Inishbofin instead....although wait 'til the Summer...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a Co. Galway forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I'd definitely recommend going, the islands are beautiful. Landscape is similar to the Burren/Cliffs of Moher in Co. Clare, if you've ever been there. Inis Mor is the most touristy one, though at this time of year its a lot quieter than in the summer. Having said that, because its more touristy there's also more in the way of accommodation/food/shops etc.
    You can get there from Galway or Rossaveal, I think the Galway trip is longer but not 100% sure.
    Just make sure to bring waterproofs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

on foot or by bus?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was there last June, luckily it was one of the best weekends we had weather wise, nothing but warm sunshine, which imo makes all the difference.
    We stayed over night, most of the tourists go back at night so it was lovely and we had a great time.
    We went from Rossaveal, you can leave your car in the car park, the ferry takes about 30 mins and is fairly regular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Has anyone actually been there and are they worth going to ?

Also couldn't find it on the web but how far is InisMor (the biggest and nearest island) from Galway ?

No, nobody has ever been there. Well ok, that's a lie. Knackerdwarf went out there back in the late 90's and ate the last few remaining dodo's on Earth. The ba$tard!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

DRakE wrote: »
    on foot or by bus?

only Jesus could walk to the islands;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rarnes1 wrote: »
    only Jesus could walk to the islands;)

Even he'd have problems getting a bus through the parking lot though.

... seriously, yes been to Inis Mor ... yes, worth it ... yes, do stay overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Haven't read the rest of the replies, so forgive me if i'm repeating....

From Galway Docks, it's about 29 miles to Aran Islands

From Rosaveel, the high speed ferries go - you'll be there in no time. In June 2007 we were 'chasing' the Aran Ferries into Rosaveel. We asked if we could 'surf' their wash (our boat weighed 2.5 ton :eek:) and they said no problem... then the Shannon Coastguard helicopter came along doing an exercise, came right above us, and landed a guy on the ferries boat. Such an amazing site! The buzz from surfing a wave in a thing that weigh's 2.5ton, storming down a wave is unreal. The only way we could regain control was by speeding up (We were surfing at about 20knots, max speed of ther boat from engine was about 30 knots) and turning out of the surf

Sorry, back from the tangent.... We found the islands grand but didn't spend long there... defo worth the trip though. If I went again i'd hire a bike and go for a cycle. Plan to spend the day there and bring some sandwiches :)
    BUT, if getting the ferry, go from the Galway side (ie. Rosaveel). There was a thread on the Consumer Issues forum a few months back about someone being charged €40 per person return from the Islands to Doolin (Co. Clare). Rosaveel was something like €25 return.

Some pics of the day i'm referring to (on the water)...
    Catching up with the ferries before they sped up:
    ferriesie8.th.jpg
    (Click for fullsize)

Pic of the helicopter after approach, turning around and about to decend above us:
    heliea7.th.jpg
    (Click for fullsize)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

lived there for a year in 99, definately worth the visit, sure full of tourists if you follow your guide book and go where everyone else goes. lots of remote places if you open your mind and eyes to exploring.
    go, stay and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I hear that there is a Supermac's on the island now.

I'm not too sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I hear that there is a Supermac's on the island now.

I'm not too sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Yes, there's a Supermacs on Inis Mór :eek: It's the only place where i've seen a menu on both Irish/English, but a dark skinned person at the till... I'd say he'd have some craic if you ordered a Quarter pounder with extra cheese and a Curry Cheese Chips tri gaeilge :eek: (Can't do fadas for some reason cctrl+alt+i bring up italics in thread lingo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

hes probably more irish than half the nation, there was a fijian living there with fluent irish when i was there and a japanese guy who had irish and could play the tin whistle better than ive heard in long time.

hes probably more irish than half the nation, there was a fijian living there with fluent irish when i was there and a japanese guy who had irish and could play the tin whistle better than ive heard in long time.

I credit a 'foreigner' who is willing to learn the Irish language, just like someone who is willing to learn the feadog (apologies again, no fadas on the forum with standard keys)

The lad in Supermakkssssss Inis Mor was just taking orders in broken English. Still though, some craig gobbin into a Smokey Bacon meal 30miles offshore :pac:

One of the ways of figuring out if a person is truly from Galway city is asking if they have been to the Aran islands - if they haven't then they are true city folk.

For the record - I do not claim to be a city person but I have never been to the islands.

I might go this summer - I know a few from out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Sure isn't one of the hostel owners african and with fluent Irish as well?

I have relatives out there so I go to visit quite a bit. Like a lot of people said, very touristy, but well worth going at the same time. Most of the tourists leave at around six in the evening, so you should consider staying overnight.

PS - I think the supermacs only stays open 6 or 8 months? Can anyone correct me on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There's plenty of Irish history there, it'd be a shame to write it off as "too touristy"

Just don't buy a sweater and you'll be fine, we'll still accept you

(for the record I went as a tourist in '04. I'd like to go back now that I won't cough up a lung cycling up some of the more ridiculous hills)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

That would be Joel, Gaeilge lofa aige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

JohnCleary wrote: »
    apologies again, no fadas on the forum with standard keys
    Alt Gr + key, for example é á í.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Inis Oirr FTW!

• Advertisement

Isin't it Inis Oir that has the savage beach? We went swimming there once day, absolutily lovely

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, it's like something out of the Caribbean, beautifully clear. There's also a good pier for diving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Inis Oir is a beautiful spot. Everyone should go out for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is a Co. Galway forum!

Extremely helpful.

Do you work in the tourism industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

big b wrote: »
    Extremely helpful.

Do you work in the tourism industry?

I'm sure he doesn't, despite the fact that that's what people think the Galway City forum is there for.

'I'm coming on a stag to galway where should we...'
    'I've got a hen in galway where should we...'
    'Going with the missus to galway what should we...'

blah blah blah

www.irelandwest.ie - now GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I'm sure he doesn't, despite the fact that that's what people think the Galway City forum is there for.

'I'm coming on a stag to galway where should we...'
    'I've got a hen in galway where should we...'
    'Going with the missus to galway what should we...'

blah blah blah

www.irelandwest.ie - now GTFO!

Yeah, the same old questions can be a bit tiresome alright.
    But at least we live in a place that people want to come to!

Maybe we could have the stickies displayed differently to guide the tourists to look there first?

Advertisement