Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find it hard to get enough protein?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The RDA is significantly higher than what journals indicate is necessary. 10% of caloric intake is plenty for adults. If you're trying to build strength then 20% is probably advisable, but any more is unnecessary. Steve Reeves' diet was about 20% protein, and he did very well in the days before steroids. There are other examples like this.

There is a big fad for high protein diets these days, and some real zealotry about them sometimes too. Not thinking of anyone posting here when I say that.

Not aware of any danger from following a high protein diet. Bad breath and body odour can occur - not sure if that is only from animal foods, or if it is to do with overall protein intake. Low protein diets are recommended for certain medical conditions including kidney and liver problems.

RDA for protein in an adult male is <10% of calorific intake. This is about enough to not waste muscle if you do no exercise. Eating more then the RDA is protein is a good thing in general and essential if you exercise even slightly. I think 20% when trying to build muscle via strength work is a decent number, obviously that would be just over 100% more than RDA. I have seen recommendations go as high as 30% for people at the top of their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

reviving threads from 2008? I find 'where do you get your protein?' to be one of the most ridiculous questions I get asked by meat-eaters, I'm a little disappointed to hear it on here of all places :P

Advertisement