Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone from UK

Options
  • 17-12-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a Iphone 3G prepay but they are much cheaper in the uk. i was wondering can i get a Uk Iphone and then swap the number to my Irish o2 number legitimately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CivilEx

If you buy an iPhone in the UK you would need a sim adapter to use it on an Irish network (assuming it is locked to O2UK).

If you can wait until New Years Eve, the iPhone dev team (http://blog.iPhone-dev.org) are releasing their unlock software then allowing you to use any sim in your iPhone, even if locked to a particular network now. You could be voiding your warranty with either method though, so buyer beware!

Just to be clear on this, O2 UK iPhones are locked to that Network and cannot be used on O2 Ireland without using one of the above (illegitimite?) methods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You wont be able to use an Irish sim in it.

If you buy one from the UK now, it might have the updated baseband, this means it will not be unlockable. I think if you hurry you can get one with the older baseband as they must have back logs of stock, they has a shed load of unsold units in October.

I dont know how you can tell what the baseband is from the box.

If it did go wrong, reset the phone to factory, apple wont know what you have been up to.

Advertisement