Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Depreciation on Jan 1st?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hey all!

I'm looking at a car in the UK I'm thinking of purchasing, as of today the VRT due on it would be approx 3k, I'm just wondering, will this figure decrease on Jan 1st 2009?

Is there any way to calculate by how much, if any at all, VRT decreases by at the start of every new year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It depends on the date the car was first registered. If the V5 says it was july 1st. Then January 1st is irrelevant to you. I VRT'd an 02 mondeo today in tallaght and paid 1588 euro. The office was empty at 3pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Many people on here say that there is little difference however Using the online calculator to check there appears to be a substantial difference. Do 2 calculations e.g. Dec05 model and Jan 06 model. Despite there only being 1 month of a difference the price difference is greater than that between a Dec05 and Nov05 model (same age diff) At least thats the case for BMWs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There won't be much of a drop in January. There mightn't even be a drop in January.

The SIMI are doing their dammdest to make sure we buy some of the overpriced, underspecced crap they're selling and the Government needs cash badly.

So go figure;)!

That's always the way - prices go down systematically and effectively a 05 car is 4 years old now even though 2009 is a couple of weeks away. In fact you could say since November cars are effectively 4 or 5 years old even if the registration plate says otherwise.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Many people on here say that there is little difference however Using the online calculator to check there appears to be a substantial difference. Do 2 calculations e.g. Dec05 model and Jan 06 model. Despite there only being 1 month of a difference the price difference is greater than that between a Dec05 and Nov05 model (same age diff) At least thats the case for BMWs anyway.

that isn't a valid comparison, an 05 car is always going to be worth as OMSP, a lot less than an 06 whether you vrt in the last month of 2008 or the first of 2009 doens't make much difference. One is still an 05 car, the other an 06.

It is the difference in the year of registraition not the month of vrt than makes the big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

copacetic wrote: »
    that isn't a valid comparison, an 05 car is always going to be worth as OMSP, a lot less than an 06 whether you vrt in the last month of 2008 or the first of 2009 doens't make much difference. One is still an 05 car, the other an 06.

It is the difference in the year of registraition not the month of vrt than makes the big difference

I see that, however as the car is a year older in 2009 one would imagine there would be an adjustment to the OMSP?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I see that, however as the car is a year older in 2009 one would imagine there would be an adjustment to the OMSP?

there will be, but that 06 will go down the same amount. I don't keep proper track but most cars seem to go down ~ 1% every month with 2% a couple of times a year and 3% in january. Of course everything is so overpriced on the vrt site anyway you never know when a specific model will come down a lot.

Advertisement