Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much paint do i use?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Ok so Say Im painting an electric guitar probably need two coats.
    Its a standard size guitar, how much paint roughly would I need like in ml?
    Id probably be usin acryllic paint and then doin 2 coats of the finish on it.
    How much would I need to buy to cover it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Id recomend spraying it instead. Take off the strings, cover up the fret-board etc with masking tape and anywhere else you wont want sprayed. It will leave a much better finish than painting by brush. You can get undercoat and the top coat color required in anywhere like Atlantic Homecare, B&Q etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Id recomend spraying it instead. Take off the strings, cover up the fret-board etc with masking tape and anywhere else you wont want sprayed. It will leave a much better finish than painting by brush. You can get undercoat and the top coat color required in anywhere like Atlantic Homecare, B&Q etc..
    Cool, great idea actually. Duno how I didnt think of it.
    Reckon a can of each would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Yeah one of each should do alright. Just practice on something else before hand so you dont end up leaving streaks on it. Enjoy!

Yeah one of each should do alright. Just practice on something else before hand so you dont end up leaving streaks on it. Enjoy!
    Cool, thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

The only problem with spraying is its not all that hard wearing really...

• Advertisement

opelmanta wrote: »
    The only problem with spraying is its not all that hard wearing really...
    But if i were to spray get the colour on as I want, then put 2 coats of varnish for guitars on it should it not be fine?

Also does anyone know roughly how much quadrant beading would be? maybe round 2 metres worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Use a can of clear coat lacquer to finish. Maybe 2 / 3 coats lightly sanding with some fine sandpaper between coats. Try and avoid over runs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Jammyc wrote: »

Also does anyone know roughly how much quadrant beading would be? maybe round 2 metres worth?

Depends on the type of beading. Roughly though for 2-3 metres it will be less than €10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If I was going to recommend a brand I'd say go with International if y ou can get it (Woodies used to stock it). Build up thin layers and leave plenty of time between coats.

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, I'm a turkey.

Sabotage wrote: »

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, I'm a turkey.
    Careful now....

Thanks for all the advice everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement