Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lift passes

• 17-12-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey ,not sure if this has been posted about before but im trying to book a cheap snowboarding trip to somewhere in europe,just wondering if I should buy lift passes now and rent snowboarding equipment now while booking the package holiday? or is it cheaper to get them when you at the resort like day passes or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Day passes will more than likely work out more expensive. Buying from the tour operator or buying from the lift office in resort is generally not actually any difference. The TO will claim that they can get them cheaper for you, well they do get them cheaper, but they will then mark them up to whatever the in resort price is so you'll pay the same either way.

I sometimes get them from the TO's though just to simplify me figuring out the costs and means that I'm ready to go first thing the next morning without needing to queue up at the office for a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 elle987654321

thanks for the info!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I've never seen a lift pass cheaper from a TO then in resort. Usually they've been considerably dearer. I would always buy in resort, it usually does.nt take long unless theres a huge queue and you can also choose the liftpass that best suits you. I have been on holidays where beginners have prebooked all area 6 day lift passes and not got off the beginners slope for 4 or 5 days. In one case I met a lady who never even got off the free beginners tow the whole holiday, the only use she got from the pass the TO sold her was to go up in the cablecar the last day to have lunch and a look around before getting the lift back down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Goin on my chats with people in NZ, some operators work out cheaper, others rip you off. Buying direct from the resort would be my recomendation.
    I got my season pass months early and saved a fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Definitely don't rent through your package, you'll be locked into the standard price and won't be able to shop around for a better range or price. In the resort, you can can usually get a 10-20% discount for all sorts of things, including Ski Club membership, sometimes student card, or paying in cash. You can often get an upgrade to a higher class of board for a small increase in price.

You won't get a better deal on lift passes, and may get a much worse one. You can often get a cheaper lift pass if you are staying in a local hotel, or if you are older or younger than normal, or are a student, or part of a family, or a frequent visitor etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement