Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair in Galway?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Sister (g0bsh1te) managed to break the connector on the power adapter AND the socket on the laptop for the power on her brand new Dell Studio

Fcuked if i'm fixing it, i've been doing computer based exams for the past 2 weeks, last thing I want got my XMas holidays is to be fixing a laptop

Can anyone recommend where to bring it in the city? Not sure if the socket is soldered to the motherboard or not. I want a proper job done on it since its new, not some chancer with a soldering gun. She has been quoted €150 from one place (Not sure where) - Don't know if that includes the replacement charger or not. I think she should be haggling slightly on that price but it's not my money so I don't care tbh

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sister (g0bsh1te) managed to break the connector on the power adapter AND the socket on the laptop for the power on her brand new Dell Studio

Fcuked if i'm fixing it, i've been doing computer based exams for the past 2 weeks, last thing I want got my XMas holidays is to be fixing a laptop

Can anyone recommend where to bring it in the city? Not sure if the socket is soldered to the motherboard or not. I want a proper job done on it since its new, not some chancer with a soldering gun. She has been quoted €150 from one place (Not sure where) - Don't know if that includes the replacement charger or not. I think she should be haggling slightly on that price but it's not my money so I don't care tbh

Any recommendations?

You could try to ring Dell and tell them it broke under normal conditions.
    (I hereby assume it did!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, they would repair it free. If it falls under the conditions, ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Try a place called Laptek in Woodquay, next to McSwiggins...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

KoemansCC wrote: »

I know of this place... give me a reason to try it and I might just...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The mobile phone place above the joke shop on shop street do laptops

Don't have any personal experience of getting a laptop fixed by them (knock on wood) but they were brilliant with the mobile I brought in.

• Advertisement

It sounds like a brand new Dell - it should still be covered by the basic warranty.

She won't have it back before the new year though and if anyone other than Dell fixes it that will void any remaining warranty - if she bought extended warranty (greater than 1 year, which dell pushes) she would be throwing her money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

GOOD NEWS! (I hope)

I asked her how the fcuk she managed to do break the connector. She said she left it charging for 2 hours (batt went dead after using it without power) and when she came back she just grabbed the plug to remove it (as you do). She said it was so hot that her first recation was to just pull away, but kinda forgot to let go, and the connector cracked. She had a slight red mark/blister on her finger, so it seems like a manufacturer default. I'm guessing the connection was arcing, creating heat.

TBH I don't know, i'm no expert, but for heat that could leave a burn on the skin, i'm glad the damn thing didn't catch fire. FFS, I retract my (gobsh1te) statment about her, i'd investigate this myself if it was out of warranty, but this fire hazard is going straight back to Dell

Thanks for the advise lads and lassies, much appreciated as always

Send it back - it sounds dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Originally Posted by KoemansCC View Post

Mine died today. No idea why, got home and it was dead. Wall socket, cable and transformer test ok, so it must be the laptop. D*&^m inconvenient time too.

PC Word say they have a "we fix it or it's free" service for E300. Seems a lot to me.

Anyone know any reason why I wouldn't want to try the Laptek folks?

Mary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS! (I hope)

I asked her how the fcuk she managed to do break the connector. She said she left it charging for 2 hours (batt went dead after using it without power) and when she came back she just grabbed the plug to remove it (as you do). She said it was so hot that her first recation was to just pull away, but kinda forgot to let go, and the connector cracked. She had a slight red mark/blister on her finger, so it seems like a manufacturer default. I'm guessing the connection was arcing, creating heat.

TBH I don't know, i'm no expert, but for heat that could leave a burn on the skin, i'm glad the damn thing didn't catch fire. FFS, I retract my (gobsh1te) statment about her, i'd investigate this myself if it was out of warranty, but this fire hazard is going straight back to Dell

Thanks for the advise lads and lassies, much appreciated as always

forget fixing it, for a laptop to actually burn someone... she could probably sue.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Mine died today. No idea why, got home and it was dead. Wall socket, cable and transformer test ok, so it must be the laptop. D*&^m inconvenient time too.

PC Word say they have a "we fix it or it's free" service for E300. Seems a lot to me.

Anyone know any reason why I wouldn't want to try the Laptek folks?

Mary

where'd you get it and how old is it? I'd imagine that type of thing would be under warranty as it sounds like a hardware failure (most likely the PSU in the laptop methinks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

bin it and buy a mac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

*cough* macfag *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

paulhannon wrote: »
    bin it and buy a mac!

+100
    JIZZLORD wrote: »
    *cough* macfag *cough*

Jealous much;)