Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New computer for parents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Theres not much point in building a low spec PC IMO, (unless you're doing it cause you enjoy building PC's) theres little or no savings to be made.
    Buy a dell or something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Well i thought I could get a better one by building since I will take parts from old one I have added over time. so essentially I need cpu, case&PSU, MB (with onboard graphics most likely), hd and ram. The rest I have.

I got stuff including vista for 350 including vat on elara. most of which I linked previously. do you still think I am better off getting from dell or somewhere a pc w/o monitor?

Forgot to say I do enjoy fiddling with things like this, so if they are much the same I will build. Looking on Dell now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hmm... if you're sure they're only going to use this machine for light-duty stuff then here is a cheap, cheerful and ESB-bill-friendly mini-PC build

HWVSmITX200.jpg

And FYI the only motherboards which routinely lack any onboard graphics (i.e. not ideally suited for this build) tend to be Intel P- and X- series offerings. If you stick with Intel look for G-series mobos. Although even then the integrated graphics are significantly inferior to all recent AMD and nVidia onboard solutions (heck the newer ones can manage HD decoding and very-light-duty gaming!)

Thanks Solitare, that build you posted there is actually quite similar apart from the processor, just checked the email there and I did get a g-series mobo. So tho i was sure i had got it fairly right now im happy that it will all work. I've found its harder to do a low budget one than a high end one like i did for myself in summer!

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement