Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Removal using a 'Computer Doctor' - being ripped off or not??

Options
  • 17-12-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a laptop that's 5 years old, running XP and is 1.4Ghz with 512mb RAM. The battery died and I bought a new one on ebay, which didn't work, so it can only be powered by the power lead.

I sold it to my dad for €200 last year, but soon after that it started to become very slow, especially when trying to surf the web (both in IE and FFX).
    I also noticed that the processor speed went down to 250mhz, and a BIOS warning came up saying that the processor is being set to a lower speed due to a faulty power lead.

So my dad brought it into a 'Computer Doctor' the other day, and asked them to take a look at it (he wanted to know whether is was worthwhile repairing it). They just called back saying that it was full of viruses and the cost of repairing it is €150!!

Are they taking the p*ss? I was aware that there were some spyware etc. on it that would have to be removed and was planing in doing that myself, and we only really wanted to know whether there was a way to fix the processor speed, as it was assumed that this was causing it to be really slow.

My dad (doesn't have a clue about computers and could easily be taken for a ride) called them back and they said 'ok we'll charge you €120' but I'm still not happy and I'm going to go up with him tomorrow to try and get the laptop back without giving them a penny as I'd rather he put that €120 towards a new laptop as they only cost €400 these days.

Is this a case of ripping off someone who doesn't know a thing about computers? or would you actually pay that amount of money for Virus removal?
    I suspect the processor speed thing is due to faulty HW (the power lead) and I'm expecting the laptop to still run at 250mhz

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yup being ripped off for 150 he would want to fix the power issue too and come round your house and wash your car.

Someone here would speed it up and cleanse it for about €50 if they local to you.

Is it a compaq laptop by any chance?

You should wipe it and put a clean OS on it with Avira/Avg spybot on it like for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If its 5 years old don't spend €150 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

Hi,

It's a Dell actually...

Yea I was thinking of just wiping it as I have all the disks here at home still. There are no valuable docs on it either as they are all kept on the family PC..

I'll have to go up and try and get it back first, otherwise I'll tell them they can keep it cos at this stage it's not worth even €150

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can be a **** and ask for a full log of the virus and spyware removed and point by point breakdown of the costs in installing AVG and hitting the full scan button.

The 250mhz thing is cos the cpu not getting enough power, normally compaqs do that but all laptops have different voltages 18 18.5 etc: the laptop isnt getting the required power via the cable or the connector is damaged.

im sure thats on your bill too telling you the above :) , usually buying a new power supply or replacing the connector fixes this 2nd one is messy.

They shouldnt have fixed it if your da didnt give the go ahead. So you can say your taking it to trade in or whatever if they fixed it without being asked its not your problem.

A clean install with a stripped down version of XP should be all it needs.

Btw the "Computer Doctor" lads post on boards.ie so will be expecting you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

Thanks for your input dreamers75

I merely mentioned a computer doctor, I'm not referring to any one company in particular.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Thats a pretty hefty price. I do the PC doctor thing as a business myself and couldn't charge that much. Though there are worse, Ive dealt with a customer who had told a PC doc that her computer was slow. He took the XP disc and reformatted it. Charged her €300. Obviously the computer was faster... till she put her programmes back on.
    My advice would be to reformat it if you have the discs, less hassle and you're sure to be rid of the viruses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Best thing You could do is stick a linux distro on it, Ubuntu or Mint. Never need worry bout another virus again

• Registered Users Posts: 82,949 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Reformat the drive, reinstall windows. Should work slicker than grease compared to what youve been subjected to after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As everyone else said, reformat may be best. Now for the fun part: if they reformatted it, ask did they back up the important documents? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Portogal

You say your father was being ripped off by a 'computer doctor' - well, I'd say he was ripped off by his own son who charged him €200 for a 5 year old laptop!! You should have given it to him for free, especially when you point out that you could buy a new one for about €400. Money grabber or what? :confused:

I have a laptop that's 5 years old, running XP and is 1.4Ghz with 512mb RAM. The battery died and I bought a new one on ebay, which didn't work, so it can only be powered by the power lead.

I sold it to my dad for €200 last year, but soon after that it started to become very slow, especially when trying to surf the web (both in IE and FFX).
    I also noticed that the processor speed went down to 250mhz, and a BIOS warning came up saying that the processor is being set to a lower speed due to a faulty power lead.

So my dad brought it into a 'Computer Doctor' the other day, and asked them to take a look at it (he wanted to know whether is was worthwhile repairing it). They just called back saying that it was full of viruses and the cost of repairing it is €150!!

Are they taking the p*ss? I was aware that there were some spyware etc. on it that would have to be removed and was planing in doing that myself, and we only really wanted to know whether there was a way to fix the processor speed, as it was assumed that this was causing it to be really slow.

My dad (doesn't have a clue about computers and could easily be taken for a ride) called them back and they said 'ok we'll charge you €120' but I'm still not happy and I'm going to go up with him tomorrow to try and get the laptop back without giving them a penny as I'd rather he put that €120 towards a new laptop as they only cost €400 these days.

Is this a case of ripping off someone who doesn't know a thing about computers? or would you actually pay that amount of money for Virus removal?
    I suspect the processor speed thing is due to faulty HW (the power lead) and I'm expecting the laptop to still run at 250mhz

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,949 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Depreciation much? Laptop probably cost well over a grand 5 years ago. 200 seems reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanec1985

I got a quote off a computer doctor for 80 euro for removal of a virus and I know of a friend who got charged 200 for installation of windows and transfer of files from her old laptop to her new one. I already had a virus protection from norton which updated itself, but could not get it to work. I found a place closer to where I lived through a friend balbriggancomputerrepair.com and he only charged 25 euro. How is their such a price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

shanec1985 wrote: »
    I got a quote off a computer doctor for 80 euro for removal of a virus and I know of a friend who got charged 200 for installation of windows and transfer of files from her old laptop to her new one. I already had a virus protection from norton which updated itself, but could not get it to work. I found a place closer to where I lived through a friend balbriggancomputerrepair.com and he only charged 25 euro. How is their such a price difference.
    any computer doctor i know will charge a 50 euro call out fee even if they do nothing else. Any other work is on top of that. I never used them just called once or twice but learned to fix any problem myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't believe most of those PC repair guys can make a business out of charging so little per hour especially if they have to pay the cost of transport and their own time. Most of them seem to go out of business as fast as they appear.

I'm a little puzzled why the OP doesn't just go buy a replacement power lead/supply and wipe the machine themselves?

Incidentally the laptop is only worth what you can get for it. The original price is irrelevant. Best guide is what they are sold for on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The €150 might include the price of a genuine Dell power adapter.
    They're pricey enough.

I bought a cheap ebay power adapter myself last year, and it was not fully compatible with my laptop model.
    The CPU was throttled back, so it was going really slow.
    I bought a different power adapter from another ebay seller, and it worked fine.

So search for the original dell part number of the power supply, as opposed to the laptop model.

... just noticed, this thread has been resurrected from two years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

shanec1985 - you should have started a new thread.

We should have spotted that it was an old thread. Doh.

Advertisement