Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options
  • 17-12-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Just received in my new TV license certificate in the post. Every year its automatically charged to my credit so I've no input. However this year is different:D I lost my CC early this year so I a new account was set up by Visa. Anyway when I received the cert this morning I realised they had charged my old dormant Visa account:confused:
    Surely they would complete the visa transaction before sending out the cert?
    Do you think they'll come a knocking:D?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,494 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

play dumb;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

rarnes1 wrote: »
    play dumb;)
    Don't worry I'm good at that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

just give us your name and address so we can squeal check it for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afaik any charges to your dormant account can be set against your new account for a number of years after the account has been closed, this will usually be in your visa terms and conditions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Yes this happened to me.
    Very weird practise.

My card got scammed so I was issued a new one but all my old charges work, i.e my aa breakdown cover, my webhosting fees.
    But obviously if i try to use the old number it gets rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Here's a question, that ad claims "thousands" of people are visited every month about tv licences, yet I , nor anyone I know has EVER been visited, we've been getting tv licence letters for about 2 years, been living in my apartment for nearly 4 but they're not addressed to anyone just "resident" I've talked to a few other people in my building and none of them have a licence either, it seems like they threaten action once then it goes back to the "from our records you dont have a licence, pleasr get one.....well soon" generic letter not addressed to anyone in particular, I asked our landlord about the licence when we moved in and he said our rent covered it so as far as im concerned its his problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have had several visits over the years. One time I couldn't find the darn thing (we had just moved) so I gave them my old address and told them to check their records, never heard another word:) They are quite a reasonable bunch I have found, then again, I always had my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

krudler wrote: »
    Here's a question, that ad claims "thousands" of people are visited every month about tv licences, yet I , nor anyone I know has EVER been visited, we've been getting tv licence letters for about 2 years, been living in my apartment for nearly 4 but they're not addressed to anyone just "resident" I've talked to a few other people in my building and none of them have a licence either, it seems like they threaten action once then it goes back to the "from our records you dont have a licence, pleasr get one.....well soon" generic letter not addressed to anyone in particular, I asked our landlord about the licence when we moved in and he said our rent covered it so as far as im concerned its his problem
    Criminal record. The shame.

So thats why mine is so expensive.

Had a visit a few years ago. Took me ages to find it.

Boo

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Just received in my new TV license certificate in the post. Every year its automatically charged to my credit so I've no input. However this year is different:D I lost my CC early this year so I a new account was set up by Visa. Anyway when I received the cert this morning I realised they had charged my old dormant Visa account:confused:
    My Visa was replaced last year cause it was on a big list found by the FBI in the USA. AIB sent me out a new one but would not confirm or deny it was anything got to do with TKMAX. I got letters from the three DDs companies on the account saying the DD failed.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Scottie99 wrote: »

If the CC debit is not transferred to the new account automatically, resulting in An Post not getting the credit, then the licence issued will be voided. (It's allowed for under the various Broadcasting and Wireless Telegraphty Acts)

Before that happens they will write and tell you to pay by an alternate method, if you don't then the licence is cancelled and an inspector will be calling.

I was once the person who administered the system and chased up the defaulters!

• Advertisement

I was once the person who administered the system and chased up the defaulters!
    Better watch out OP. They are coming after you.....................:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

castie wrote: »
    Yes this happened to me.
    Very weird practise.

My card got scammed so I was issued a new one but all my old charges work, i.e my aa breakdown cover, my webhosting fees.
    But obviously if i try to use the old number it gets rejected.

Spot on it just came through on my card:(

I also got another letter this morning from them saying, that they won't be accepting Visa cards next time round.

Advertisement