Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community Welfare Officer Can they help?

• 17-12-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I have been hit with a major high ESB bill turns out i have managed to totally miss paying my last bill so my bill is now overdue and is an unbelievable 800 euro i am a single parent. Do you think the welfare officer might be able to help me out with paying it??

any advice appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The ESB are likely to be happpy with stage payments - you could just phone them and ask can you pay off the extra over 2-3 bills.

The CWO might help, but more likely as a loan, I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Firstly, dont worry!
    If you only pay 20 euro off the bill a week that will keep them happy. See how much a week you can put towards paying it off. If you think its a total lost cause then maybe the welfare officer can help but as the previous poster said it will most likely be a loan. Your better trying to pay it off a little at a time.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

If you are unemployed or on low income and give the SWO a better reason than forgetfulness they may help you out.
    I have dealt with the ESB with regards to arrears and they were not one bit sympathetic, told me I had to pay X amount per week which I could not afford at the time.
    Hope the SWO can help you out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I wouldn't say the ESB are unsympathetic.
    Give them a call and work out something, as said even 20 euro a week and you'll top this off when you can. You might clear this by March going well, that's what I'd aim for or maybe even sooner

At best imo , you'll get a loan from the CWO, I don't think you'll get a contribution but sure you can ask and see what happens

Much of this has been posted already, so realy just agreeing with the above posters

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Community Welfare Officers CAN help with emergency payments ( not loans) towards electricity etc but this is subject to means testing. If you are employed your chances of getting this kind of help are not good but, if you are unemployed or on welfare of any kind, the CWOs have considerable flexibility and may be able to assist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement