Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who provides the best BB?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

hey,

I am currently with Eircom, can't say I have ever been so happy with them but after hearing sooooo many horror stories about trying to "come back" to eircom I was living in fear of leaving them

I have, recently, decided to go with somebody else!

Does anyone know who is very reliable?
    What speeds are available?
    Prices etc?

I am paying 60 for an eircom package at the moment, that covers my 1 or (2mb) connection, unsure which, and my landline etc etc

I also play xbox online so is anyone familiar with a good overall package that will give me good speeds during gaming, good overall speeds and is a decent price?

Thanks!
    Have a good crimbo!
    Joe

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

where are u living?.....be specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Smart Telecom are the best, if they're in your area.

Smart Telecom are the best, if they're in your area.

Hmmmm.......fairly dubious.....I work for an ISP and i wouldnt be that bold. It all depends on the services that are available in your house...the copper/coax comming into your house and what you believe is important to you.....for the record my favourites would be..........

Magnet
    UPC
    Smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

upc shouldnt be on a favourite list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Rorser wrote: »
    Hmmmm.......fairly dubious.....

Why, exactly? Smart have the best broadband package available in the country, by far. The only problem is, it's not widely available. It's not the fastest, but it is the best overall. No limits, no contention, and very good price. I'd far, far prefer to pay Smart for 7Mbps, uncontended, unlimited, service, than UPC for a supposed unlimited (which many find has a set, low, limit) and heavily contended 20Mbps.

If you're going to stick with DSL, on the phone line, then Smart is the one to go for. If that's not available to you, then your choices are very limited. The majority of alternatives are just re-selling eircom broadband, which means the speeds and contention are all going to be the same. Price varies a bit, but so does customer service. I can't honestly say that one is better than the other. All I can say, is that if you currently have no issue with eircom, other than price, then you're as well to stick with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jor el wrote: »
    Why, exactly? Smart have the best broadband package available in the country, by far. The only problem is, it's not widely available. It's not the fastest, but it is the best overall. No limits, no contention, and very good price. I'd far, far prefer to pay Smart for 7Mbps, uncontended, unlimited, service, than UPC for a supposed unlimited (which many find has a set, low, limit) and heavily contended 20Mbps.

Because while excellent, Smart doesn't in fact have the best BB package, that would be Magnet, with it's 50mb product in FTTH areas.

Even Magnets 10mb and 24mb ADSL2+ products are €5 cheaper then Smarts equivalent packages.

Magnet offers all the other benefits of Smart also, BTW neither Smart nor Magnet are truly uncontended.

Having said all that, Smart is also excellent and I agree with Rorser, that the top 3 ISP's, in no particular order, are Magnet, Smart and UPC.

Depending on your location and circumstances, you maybe able to get these services or not and they may work well or not.

madmik wrote: »
    upc shouldnt be on a favourite list

Well I'm probably a rarity but I got them to install it on time, bill me correctly and get probably the fastest broadband around.

As long as you can avoid their poor customer service you can get one of the best services around.

ronoc wrote: »
    Well I'm probably a rarity but I got them to install it on time, bill me correctly and get probably the fastest broadband around.

As long as you can avoid their poor customer service you can get one of the best services around.

well UPC are not the fastest but i do see your point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bk wrote: »

Having said all that, Smart is also excellent and I agree with Rorser, that the top 3 ISP's, in no particular order, are Magnet, Smart and UPC.

You are ALL wrong

The best ISP in Ireland is the same ISP that was the best ISP in Ireland over 10 years ago in 1998

Thats Caseys in Dungarvan. They have had the fastest entry level Broadband in Ireland , consistently , since 1998 .

It is now 20mbits for €40 a month and no traffic shaping !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You are ALL wrong

The best ISP in Ireland is the same ISP that was the best ISP in Ireland over 10 years ago in 1998

Thats Caseys in Dungarvan. They have had the fastest entry level Broadband in Ireland , consistently , since 1998 .

It is now 20mbits for €40 a month and no traffic shaping !

oh yeah ive heard of them...but why do they only seem to operate in Dungarvan? Is there any history lesson here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally cable franchises were by area/location (not sure how that is supposed to help competiton). The Current UPC (previously separate Chorus and MTL Ireland) is made up of many original companies, amost a separate one per town. I think there also may be a small outfit left in Longford.

Some of the original cable systems not enginneered well. UPC has still almost 1/3rd of its network left to upgrade to Digital or Broadband standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Crosson Cable = Longford

Who is the best? Depends what you want...

For some mobility could be key, for some others it could be unlimited downloads, others it could be latency, Others it's simply price and to a greater or lesser degree with everyone, it's customer service....

For example - Who makes the best cars? Maybe Ferrari or Mazzeratti but is that what would suit us best, even if we could afford it?

crawler wrote: »
    Crosson Cable = Longford

Who is the best? Depends what you want...

For some mobility could be key, for some others it could be unlimited downloads, others it could be latency, Others it's simply price and to a greater or lesser degree with everyone, it's customer service....

For example - Who makes the best cars? Maybe Ferrari or Mazzeratti but is that what would suit us best, even if we could afford it?

this is true...but shooting from the hip who would your top 3 be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

My own personal answer is probably the same as yourself to be honest (but probably in different order!! :D )....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Who provides the best BB?
    The best I've come accross is HEANet. It might be more useful to ask who is the best in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

HEAnet do not provide residential (Or business) broadband. They only supply (usually very large!) internet connectivity to educational institutions.

Snaga wrote: »
    HEAnet do not provide residential (Or business) broadband. They only supply (usually very large!) internet connectivity to educational institutions.

yeah...they mostly just lay the fibre and lease it out methinks.......if only they did do residential........think of that speed......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Snaga wrote: »
    I know. It was an observation on the broad nature of the OP's question. We can't really give a more useful answer without more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

The best I've come accross is HEANet. It might be more useful to ask who is the best in your area.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!

I live in Leixlip, hmmm I have heard that both UPC and smart telecom and great...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I know. It was an observation on the broad nature of the OP's question. We can't really give a more useful answer without more information.

The OP was looking for a reliable home BB connection thats good for xbox 360 gaming for 60eur or less, plenty of info there to rule HEANet out ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement