Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good broadband without phone connection?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm with Eircom atm, and for broadband, you need to have a phone connection. We're barely using the house phone, so there's no need for us to pay for the phone.

Any good providers that offer BB without needing a phone line?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you in a cabeled area?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Don't know too much about that to be honest, sorry:/

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

where in Cork are u living?

South Douglas Road.

South Douglas Road.

city centre?

pop your home phone number into the fields here and tell me what comes up.

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/index.php

remember, you can only get "good" (stable and low latency) non phone line bb through cable (UPC), if you cant get them i wouldnt advise you to go from DSL to some wireless service. Your next best option would be to go with an uncontended supplier (Magnet or Smart).

• Advertisement

Magnet Entertainment Residential
    Your line test has been inconclusive.....

In order to resolve this, please call us now on 1800 624 638 and speak to one of our sales agents or alternatively please fill in the form below and one of our sales agents will contact you within the next working day.

Magnet Entertainment Residential
    Your line test has been inconclusive.....

In order to resolve this, please call us now on 1800 624 638 and speak to one of our sales agents or alternatively please fill in the form below and one of our sales agents will contact you within the next working day.

Ok, well i am one of those sales agents.....sad news is you cant get unconteded (unless Smart can help you out)...you can only get bitstreem. I would advise you to up your speed (with whatever reseller you want, including Magnet ;)) but good god do not, for the sake of your own sanity drop from DSL to a wireless service unless you really do not use you connection that often.

I'm very confused with different terms here, like bitstreem lol.

The house bills are just very high, they could be lower since we're not using the house phone but we're still paying line rental and such.

it really is a trade off here....some might say its worthwhile dropping to a wireless service provider....but for me with wireless i find the service level in general is so much worse.

If you ask me id see if UPC are in the area but other than that i really would not recommend wireless (irish broadband, clearwire,3,vodafone etc).....their residential stuff in my opinion really is hairpulling stuff.

Okay, checked on http://www.upc.ie/internet/ and apparently the only thing Chorus can offer is Digital TV. Would that be the same for any other ISPs?

• Advertisement

UPC wholly own that network, so cable is out...now your choice is DSL (Eircom and all the resellers) wireless (Irish Broadband, clearwire etc) and mobile broadband (02,vodafone,3 etc.).

My advice.....stay with DSL.

Aw balls. Ah well, thanks man. Much appreciated:)

no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

If you're already paying phone line rental, I think the best value for money would be one of those bundled packages Eircom have on offer, i.e. rental, all calls, broadband for a set monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Rorser wrote: »
    it really is a trade off here....some might say its worthwhile dropping to a wireless service provider....but for me with wireless i find the service level in general is so much worse.

If you ask me id see if UPC are in the area but other than that i really would not recommend wireless (irish broadband, clearwire,3,vodafone etc).....their residential stuff in my opinion really is hairpulling stuff.

Id dissagree here,
    Im with Westnet and they are Fixed Wireless (not that horrible Mobile wireless) Westnet Fixed Wireless Access (aka FWA) is fantastic not available as fast a 4Mb and the like for residential but Very stable full speed as quoted.

See if there are any FWA providers in your area.
    Nick

Id dissagree here,
    Im with Westnet and they are Fixed Wireless (not that horrible Mobile wireless) Westnet Fixed Wireless Access (aka FWA) is fantastic not available as fast a 4Mb and the like for residential but Very stable full speed as quoted.

See if there are any FWA providers in your area.
    Nick

I could be wrong here but i really dont know about these providers.. again i have heard stories of hit and miss (weather conditions, geological survey incompatibility problems [i.e. a tree in the way]).....in terms of reliability, stability and support DSL would be far superior. Not to mention ping speeds etc.

Also just looked at the prices for westnet......€35 for half a meg, €200 install charge.....come on now...that really cannot be considered the cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I recommend giving UPC a call just to confirm that broadband is not available in your area, the website said the only thing available here in Sligo was digital TV, but i gave UPC a call just to confirm this...

..they're coming on Friday to install 10MB broadband.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Rorser's opinions on wirless seem somewhat mis-informed. There are definitely very poor wireless providers out there, but it's very much area-specifc (in much the same way DSL can be).

LiNgWiStIkZ, if you want non-phone-line broadband (and UPC can't serve you), look on your neighbours rooves for a flat, lunchbox-sized aerial. If they have one, knock in and politely ask them who they are with and how they find them.

Digiweb Metro is one wireless product that, under normal circumstances, can be as good as DSL ("latency" and "stability" as mentioned above), is cheaper and is superior, in technology, to other wireless providers.

The grass isn't always greener, but a quick scan of the neighbours could have you saving quite a bit of money if you don't need the landline!

cgarvey wrote: »
    Rorser's opinions on wirless seem somewhat mis-informed. There are definitely very poor wireless providers out there, but it's very much area-specifc (in much the same way DSL can be).

You could be right here on the stability front....i meant to say "in the majority of cases" I have heard of good services from the likes of digiweb and Irish Broadband but then again ive heard good numbers of people who either cant get them or find them too expensive and or too unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I recommend giving UPC a call just to confirm that broadband is not available in your area, the website said the only thing available here in Sligo was digital TV, but i gave UPC a call just to confirm this...

Yeah there web site is rubbish, I have digital tv, my phone and 20mb bb from them for the last 4 months but when I put my number into their website it still says only tv available in my area, they must be losing a load of potential customers who just check the website and don't bother ringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Cool, hopefully they will actually come out, they will find your address (no matter how simple it may be), they won't find that you're not connected to the head-end you should be, they won't mention "signals", the will bring filters/modem/cable/tools, they won't mention anything the sales staff said, etc., etc.

Hope it goes well!

Advertisement