Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tooth Fairy

Options
  • 17-12-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

I feel terrible, my daughters tooth fell out last nite and she left it under her pillow and woke this morning and there it was, still there:eek: I completely forgot to leave money under her pillow...

Its not a horrific crisis I know but tonight Ive just realised I have almost a fiver in my purse (in change).. or a €50 note... I think we used to get a fiver/tenner when we were kids - I feel lousy though leaving that:mad: I aint leaving €50...

How much do you give??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

I was told a tenner for the first tooth then a fiver every tooth thereafter.

The last tooth my daughter lost, I couldn't reach it as she had put it right under the pillow directly under her head, she was just about to waken from me rummaging so I left the money and ran!!
    It was like I was robbing something my heart was pounding :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

^^lol^^

I know Im terrified Im gonna forget again tonight, I have the money in my hand to ensure I dont... Christ, being a parent aint easy is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

A while back my 13 year old son, possibly 11 at the time frightened the bejaysus out of me one night. I crept in and was putting the fiver under the pillow when he grabbed my hand and said "got ya". He'd been waiting to pounce.

As they get older just be aware of some of the money making scams they can get up to. I've kept all their teeth but sometimes the clever dicks will try pulling a fast one and make out they've just lost a tooth and use a previous tooth to try and fool me.

I've always checked their mouth, used to work as a dental nurse and some clever boys (always boys) would occasionally call into the dental practices to see if I'd kept any extracted teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

deisemum wrote: »
    A while back my 13 year old son, possibly 11 at the time frightened the bejaysus out of me one night. I crept in and was putting the fiver under the pillow when he grabbed my hand and said "got ya". He'd been waiting to pounce.

As they get older just be aware of some of the money making scams they can get up to. I've kept all their teeth but sometimes the clever dicks will try pulling a fast one and make out they've just lost a tooth and use a previous tooth to try and fool me.

I've always checked their mouth, used to work as a dental nurse and some clever boys (always boys) would occasionally call into the dental practices to see if I'd kept any extracted teeth.

:pac: they sound like great fun, but honestly if my daughter grabbed my hand like that I would've had a heart attack, I was all nervous bout her catching me as it was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I feel terrible, my daughters tooth fell out last nite and she left it under her pillow and woke this morning and there it was, still there:eek: I completely forgot to leave money under her pillow...

Its not a horrific crisis I know but tonight Ive just realised I have almost a fiver in my purse (in change).. or a €50 note... I think we used to get a fiver/tenner when we were kids - I feel lousy though leaving that:mad: I aint leaving €50...

How much do you give??

WHAT THE F???
    I used to get 20p!!!!!

This is how i figured out the tooth fairy wasn't real by the way... how come my cousins teeth were worth more eh?
    Also we often wouldn't get the money on the night either it could be the night after ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

she left it under her pillow and woke this morning and there it was, still there:eek: I completely forgot to leave money under her pillow...
    :D I've done that so many times, just explain that the tooth fairy doesn't have time to check under every kid's pillow every night - she has a timetable and she should be here in the next couple of nights.
    How much do you give??
    €2 per tooth.

I think my oldest got €10 once, but that was when the tooth fairy was off sick for 3 nights (and neither of us had anything smaller on the night we remembered).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

€2 seems more reasonable.
    When we were kids it was the early eighties, so there was no fivers/tenners to be had.

I'm one of the 20p brigade. I can't remember feeling that the tooth fairy was going to make me rich, more like a token sort of thing? But then again it was the 80's... when money was for sweets and not computer games!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

How much do you give??

we did that too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

sorry,,, about €3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm one of the 20p brigade. I can't remember feeling that the tooth fairy was going to make me rich, more like a token sort of thing? But then again it was the 80's... when money was for sweets and not computer games!!

Yeah, I think we got 50p. I know it used to be enough to buy a can of coke.... we were never allowed have coke except with the tooth fairy money. Something ironic in that particular payout being used to but possibly the worst product for teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    WHAT THE F???
    I used to get 20p!!!!!

This is how i figured out the tooth fairy wasn't real by the way... how come my cousins teeth were worth more eh?
    Also we often wouldn't get the money on the night either it could be the night after ...

+ 1, that's mental money - fivers and tenners. I'd say nowaydays, €2 is plenty from the toothfairy. It's the novelty value that counts, not the monetary value, otherwise, I think you take the good out of it, in the long run, not to mention spoiling the child, in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I feel great now - €4.50 was what she got - I genuinely couldnt remember what we got as kids, probably didn't get a bloody penny...The good ol' 80's eh...

As pinksphinks says - sweets were the big thrill and not nintendos and x-box's:rolleyes: I do remember getting 50p pocket money every week and the excitment was unreal, heading to the shops and spending about an hr deciding what you'd get... God those sweets tasted good when you paid for them with your own money! And McDonalds was a yearly thing, Id nearly wet myself when my Dad said were going to McDonalds!! Sorry going off topic here, just reminiscing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Being a 60's baby it was coppers I got 5p ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Maybe fiver max first one, and €2, explain that the recession hit the teeth business hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

It was 50p for us. Haven't crossed that bridge with the wee man yet, but I'm thinking it'll be 2 or 3 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I got 50p or £1 in the 90s. As someone else said it was a token more than a pay-off.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

At the start of this thread, I thought I was cheap, with fivers and tenners mentioned.

The tooth fairy in our house gives €2 per tooth. :) My son is so devious if he thought they were worth more hed probably barter teeth off his friends in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

yippee im one of the 20p people, i feel so special

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

50p for me! I gave the first one a tenner and a fiver after that but only because he rang all his aunts and grannies and grandas and they had him convinced that was the going rate:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

we gave one of each coin, so that was €3.88, just thought it was a nice idea, it shouldnt be a note imo.

Advertisement