Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educo Gym?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

any good? theres one in waterford six cross roads

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Very intense and hard - gotta be careful not to over do it as it gets very intense. Personally would go to a normal gym over the Educo Gym. Seems popular enough though! There is also one on the Quay but would be harder to get access to parking wise id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Multivan are you on a mission to start as many threads as you can or something?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

gobo99 wrote: »
    Multivan are you on a mission to start as many threads as you can or something?:D

at least this one has something to do with Waterford.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

tbh Multivan if you are looking to get fit you wont find it this way ! really better off to join another gym or get out on the roads and run. If your looking to loose weight Educo Gym will help but again I don't believe it would be the healthiest way to do so !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

i think its way overpriced and i've always trained in waterford crystal and jsut chopping wood and stuff like that, good if you building up muscle.

If your losing weight id reccommend going to circut training and a few classes like that caus its a lot better to do it with people that will encourage you keep you going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

No im not trying to get the record for most threads ha ha:D

I just think if i dont write them ill forget them and also to get them off my conscience(spelling):D

I was just wondering cos i know someone who was in Educo and im always been told go and check it out!!!!

So as one of yee already said at least im writing something about waterford!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Went to them on the Quay last year and was disappointed. Signed up and weighed in, etc... to do the thing properly you are expected to take loads of Tony Quinn supplements, I refused as I think h'es a crook, I did the gym stuff which as others have said is very hard, also you are thrown in to lifting heavy weights with no preparation, you really cant move after your first couple of visits. I would say as it only costs a few quid more to join a proper gym for a year as opposed to their 12 day plan, the regulat gym would be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Woodgate wrote: »
    Went to them on the Quay last year and was disappointed. Signed up and weighed in, etc... to do the thing properly you are expected to take loads of Tony Quinn supplements, I refused as I think h'es a crook, I did the gym stuff which as others have said is very hard, also you are thrown in to lifting heavy weights with no preparation, you really cant move after your first couple of visits. I would say as it only costs a few quid more to join a proper gym for a year as opposed to their 12 day plan, the regulat gym would be the way to go.

Well did you get results? just out of interest like? I kinda know a few people involved so i have to be diplomatic about what i write on a thread, but i think its extortion too(spelling?) the supplements are very expensive!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Out of curiousity I checked out their website yesterday.

Any gym that tells you that an hour of aerobic activity is a bad thing is not worth bothering with in my opinion. Twenty mins of condensed work is not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

TBH lads I think the educo is a little bit of a brain wash !
    Yeah they do tell you the 1 hour of aerobic exerciser is bad for you, they also say running more then 3 miles at any time and your body starts to loose important nutrients !
    Now i'm into kickboxing right, and in order to get into the ring to fight you have to train a least 4 times a week (aerobic) and get out on the roads running at least 3 miles 3 times a week !
    So i must be well f**ked according the the educo gym :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Multivan wrote: »
    Well did you get results? just out of interest like? I kinda know a few people involved so i have to be diplomatic about what i write on a thread, but i think its extortion too(spelling?) the supplements are very expensive!!!
    Not really, was for 12 days only @ 300 euro, As I didn't take the supplements I would have lesser results than others, was really stiff for the first 3 days, ok after that. But didn't feel any major benefit. TBH I felt it's dangerous as they get you from a cold start to lift heavy equipment, theres not warming up on lower weights, its just fast paced at heavy weights, where you could easliy pull a muscle or strain something.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Hi,

A girl I work with did this and she did lose a lot of weight but a month after finishing it she has most of it put back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gotmadboy

where is the weightlifting club in waterford? is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Its on the northern extentsion at the back near the Post Office, first turn right after the cleaboy,
    Its the best weight training club this side of Dublin.
    Go up and ask for a committee member,best time to see one of them is between 12 and 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Sounds like it might be badly run.
    Been to one in Dublin and they get serious results. Thats why they charge what they charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

I've joined the one on the quay. I'm on the 5th day of athe 12 day programme, but I'm not too sure about their approach. Anyone else able to share their experience of the branch on the Quay?

Hi. I'm new on the forum. Would like to know about other peoples experiences of the Educo Gym on the Quay here in Waterford. I have joined for the 12 day course and am currently going into my 5th day and would just like to hear about how other people found it and compare experiences

yeah im finding it rough going alrite. the weights that one of the women tried to get me to do yesterday on the squats was ridiculous. Should I confront them on this thing or not? The diet is crazy limited.. Am starving and it doesent feel like its made for the individual, more like a generic diet. Im 5ft 7 or 8ins and just 1 stone, so I'm not obese, but this diet allows nothing apart from whats on the sheet. If im correct carbs are needed to repair muscles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

mine of info here.... especially the stickies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Im 5ft 7 or 8ins and just 1 stone,

dude, don't go out in any strong winds :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

old gregg wrote: »
    dude, don't go out in any strong winds :p

Hahahahahaha...........excellent

Someone elses fart could damage me irreparably!!!!!!:D I meant 12st, bloody dyslexia at it again!! Anyone got any horror stories or joyous times of it they wanna share wit me?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Warning:
    Please be careful what you say in your review. Any posts which are dodgy and that could lead Boards.ie into legal trouble will be removed. Use a common sense approach when giving a review please. I cleaned up the old thread on the Educo Gym and have merged it with the newer one. Some posts have been deleted.

Also, keep to the topic - lets not derail it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I did the 12 Day program about 2 years ago. I took all the supplements and stuck to the diet, took it pretty seriously. I did it to gain muscle for an expedition I was going on, it worked well for me, I got very strong very fast. Got on well with one of the trainers, one of the guys told me not to drink water! EVER! Very dangerous thing to tell someone I think, I asked not to be trained by him. Some of the advice was a bit weird, was told I didn't need to stretch after the sessions because it makes your muscles smaller!

Because of the bad advice I would not recomend it to anyone.

I did the 12 Day program about 2 years ago. I took all the supplements and stuck to the diet, took it pretty seriously. I did it to gain muscle for an expedition I was going on, it worked well for me, I got very strong very fast. Got on well with one of the trainers, one of the guys told me not to drink water! EVER! Very dangerous thing to tell someone I think, I asked not to be trained by him. Some of the advice was a bit weird, was told I didn't need to stretch after the sessions because it makes your muscles smaller!

Because of the bad advice I would not recomend it to anyone.
    Thanks. Yeah have tried hard to stick to the diet but had 2 slices of toast and 2 digestive biscuits this evening (what will my penance be!!!) Yeah some of the advice sounds odd at times and the diet is too strict in ways. I know that carbs are needed for muscles to repair themselves too. Day 6 tomorrow. When this is done, a bike is being bought and a return to a smart diet cause I think I'll get similar resulluts just through my own hard work, like I did before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

sorry for digging up old post but just wanted to add my own 2 cent. In the middle of 12 day program (200e, they're doin special offers at minute) no supplements (none have been offered) and had an idea what to expect so not put off by diet or workout regime. The work is very intense but thats the point. I did it to bulk up after loosing a lot of weight, had lost lot of muscle along with it and was very weak so it works for me, great for building muscle. Trainers are all different, one might not have the same approach as others but havent been told not to drink water or take sups or had any issues with cardio approach (I still walk 5k every other day, play soccer once a week and swim 1k at weekends purely for health benefits) I think this programme is really only any good if you are looking to build muscle, not lose weight, but exchange a couple of pound of fat for a few pound of muscle and gain some body strength back. (if muscles are sore try get a swim in warm water and hop into plunge pool after and then a quick dip in jacuzzi, does the trick :))

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

think a non biased approach would be nice but is difficult to get. My father was a weightlifter all his life, ran and opened the first weight training club in Waterford way back in the late fifties, early sixties, held the first mr waterford Title and competed in the first mr Ireland (bodybuilding) competitions. If he was alive he would probably say much the same as above, all fitness freaks think their way is the only way and the best way but I've spent some time weighing up the options and I figured this programme was the best option for me. I certainly couldn't afford to lose 12lb (of fat or muscle) and wouldn't be doing it for any other reason than to increase strength (my dad also died pretty young from cancer despite the claims that weight training reduces that particular specific risk and having lifted weights every other day of his adult life or having never smoked or drank so I don't pay much heed to the "pros" when it comes to making decisions about my own health) In the space of a week my strength has improved, as has my focus and drive, I have lost maybe a pound or two but like I said earlier that's not my aim and I don't expect a diet limited in carbs to be sustainable over a long period. I just think it is essential that people educate themselves before undertaking any of these programmes.
    As it is I'm happy enough to continue working on muscle strength after the 12 days but doing so with a more balanced diet. (more fresh fruit, additional carbs and essential fats included) I look at it as a kick start programme for building strength. I would pay the same to hire a personal trainer for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 willyg

Insane1 wrote: »

Good article and to the point, they have good sales people on commission using Quinns mind bending techniques to sell, just a pity they don't actually deliver the results. Beware of being sold a seminar if you do go, best option is to get a good certified personal trainer and avoid the crap trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 geenamae

I'm on the Educo Gym program and i really don't have anything bad to say about it. Yes u can be a bit stiff after the first few sessions but the entire point is that it's intense. It's obviously not sustainable for more than a few weeks.
    I was unhappy with my weight and wanted to loose it fast before my holidays. In the first week i lost an entire stone and am now 9st 10 pounds.
    The trainers have been very friendly and i have been given constant encouragement with absolutely no pressure to use the supplements.
    When i come back from my holidays i am going to adjust my diet to keep it healthy yet less restrictive, also i will keep up regular exercise.
    Go in their with the right frame of mind, know what you want and you'll get great things out of it.

Advertisement