Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refunds

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Bought a pair of shoes on monday
    Got home and put them on and they were really uncomfortable
    they were not wide enough for my feet so basically were too small

Brought them back to the shop today and they said they dont do refunds and they could only give me a credit note

What i'm wondering is, was i entitled to a refund in this situation

They said to me, their policies are in plain sight and thats why i didnt get one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The credit note was more than they needed to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

stupid question, but why didn't you try on the shoes?

you should be entitled to your cash back but if your complaint is they don't fit, just exchange them for a pair that do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The shop is actually being helpful by offering a credit note. The shop doesn't even have to give you a credit note. I wouldn't push them by trying to get a refund as they may then withdraw the offer of the credit note and you'll be left with a pair of shoes that you can't wear.

It is up to you to check that the shoes fit before purchase.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Npe your not entilited to a refund. you have the choice to try them on there and make sure you're happy with them before you purchase them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Considering it wasn't a valid complaint then no you weren't.
    In this case to be entitled to redress it has to violate one of the following:
    .Fit for purpose
    .Of merchantable quality
    .As described

It was all of the above so therefore you aren't entitled to a refund :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

wow, four replys in one min :)

stupid question, but why didn't you try on the shoes?

you should be entitled to your cash back but if your complaint is they don't fit, just exchange them for a pair that do...

You are never entitled to your cash back, unless the product is defective, you picking the wrong size doesn't constitute a defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

jahalpin wrote: »
    You are never entitled to your cash back, unless the product is defective, you picking the wrong size doesn't constitute a defect.

Hold one 1 second, i understand others replies and fair enough i am not entitled to a refund
    jahalpin, i didnt pick the wrong size
    I have been the same shoe size for 10 years and i hardly about to go in and ask for the wrong size now am i.
    They werent wide enough....is that an OK explanation for you
    or did you bother reading the whole first post

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pajo FTW!!!!:)

Could have been spanish shoes you bought pajo, those fellas have very skinny feet...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pajodublin wrote: »
    Hold one 1 second, i understand others replies and fair enough i am not entitled to a refund
    jahalpin, i didnt pick the wrong size
    I have been the same shoe size for 10 years and i hardly about to go in and ask for the wrong size now am i.
    They werent wide enough....is that an OK explanation for you
    or did you bother reading the whole first post

Different makes are different fits. I can be a size 10 in some runners and 11 in others. With my football runners it can vary within a brand. Shoes are a different issue again, sometimes size 10 can be swimming on me, as with a pair of boots I have but other times they wont go on at all .
    Shoes are something you have to try on and this is an accepted fact. At the very least you'd want to be familiar with the brand.

• Advertisement

Pajo FTW!!!!:)

Could have been spanish shoes you bought pajo, those fellas have very skinny feet...

:D:D:D

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the OP

It's just that I would always try shoes on before buying them. I got a new pair of shoes last weekend and I tried them on to make sure that were comfortable, even though were exactly the same as the shoes I was wearing (same style, size and manufacturer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Well I brought back a pair of boots I bought that I decided couple days later I didn't like. I hadn't worn them they where still in the box I had brought them home in.
    I handed them back to the cashier 2 days later and said 'can I have a refund please here is the receipt' her response, handing me over the cash 'no problem at all'.

I do realise there are shops who live by their little scrawled notes on the front of the cash registers 'no refunds given by order of management'. Not proper customer care imo everyone should be entitled to change their mind.

In$omniac wrote: »
    Well I brought back a pair of boots I bought that I decided couple days later I didn't like. I hadn't worn them they where still in the box I had brought them home in.
    I handed them back to the cashier 2 days later and said 'can I have a refund please here is the receipt' her response, handing me over the cash 'no problem at all'.

I do realise there are shops who live by their little scrawled notes on the front of the cash registers 'no refunds given by order of management'. Not proper customer care imo everyone should be entitled to change their mind.

i agree 100%
    isn't there a thing in some other industries called a cooling off period in case u change ur mind!!!

jahalpin wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the OP

It's just that I would always try shoes on before buying them. I got a new pair of shoes last weekend and I tried them on to make sure that were comfortable, even though were exactly the same as the shoes I was wearing (same style, size and manufacturer)

sorry about that :P
    took it up wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

pajodublin wrote: »
    i agree 100%
    isn't there a thing in some other industries called a cooling off period in case u change ur mind!!!
    Yes there is it's a 7 day cooling off period in some of the bigger companies like Sky or Ntl etc, but alas it's not applicable in shoe shops!

Advertisement