Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dubs call country folk culchies, culchies call Dubliners west Brits and Jackeens. Game over. No one wins. ;_;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thought west brit had become a term of abuse from 'ra heads directed at anyone who doesn't believe in their "cause"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

'cause they'ze thinkin they'ze British?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thread fail tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Generally uttered from the lower socio-economic classes, those who have dinner at lunch time refer to people from Dublin as jackeens and vice-vera. It's basically insular xenophobia found amongst the uneducated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

An Fhile wrote: »
    Thread fail tbh

Wow! Haha

That is so cool. You posted "Thread fail tbh"

The tbh stands for "To be honest" right? Cool!

Haha. Thanks for being so honest and venomously witty all at the same time m8!!!!!!!11

Generally uttered from the lower socio-economic classes, those who have dinner at lunch time refer to people from Dublin as jackeens and vice-vera. It's basically insular xenophobia found amongst the uneducated.
    No, you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

where were all the culchies in 1916

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well Dublin was the traditional stronghold of English forces - you wouldn't want to go beyond the Pale with all those uncultured Irish savages living in the mountains and raiding your sheep...

I've never heard of Jackeen though - what's its etymology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hub wrote: »
    Wow! Haha

Haha. Thanks for being so honest and venomously witty all at the same time m8!!!!!!!11

FAIL

I guess that makes me cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Well Dublin was the traditional stronghold of English forces - you wouldn't want to go beyond the Pale with all those uncultured Irish savages living in the mountains and raiding your sheep...

I've never heard of Jackeen though - what's its etymology?

Union Jack. You've really never heard that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As already alluded to 'west brit' is a culchie expression to refer to anyone
    who lives in Dublin as opposed to a bog-man who lives in the sticks but shops
    in Tesco/B&Q/Currys/Top Shop/M&S, watches BBC/ITV/C4/Sky
    and supports an English/Scottish soccer team.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hub wrote: »
    Wow! Haha

Oh. My. God!

Dude, that is the best sarcasm I have EVER seen.

Bravo, man, bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

MooseJam wrote: »

Probaby weren't born yet. It was 90 odd years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MooseJam wrote: »

They were down the bookies putting money on the Brits to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

I know what the phrase means and who calls it to whom and I have the basic understanding that it's retarded xenophobia/rivalry.

What I want to know is what are you hoping to achieve? What are your aims. What the **** are you smoking/drinking?

Is it a case of LOL! ENGLISH PEOPLE!!!!11

Because they're not even English? Irish passports. Accents. Oh wait a second! It's because they wear scarfs, right? I get it now, it's all about the scarfs. English people wear those things...right? They picked it up from the French, I think?

It's like Jimmy Carr said "I'm not actually gay...unless you're from Newcastle...where being gay means you own a coat!"

From my understanding it's mostly harmless slagging and nobody really takes it seriously.

Have people been serious this whole time!? My world has been destroyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They were down the bookies putting money on the Brits to win.
    May I refer you to this thread? Culchies? I'd rather have hives.

Davidius wrote: »
    From my understanding it's mostly harmless slagging and nobody should take it seriously.

FYP

Some people are too sensitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Of course it's lame, bog warriors say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

West Brits are Irish People who want to be British- like Terry Wogan, and a number of Irish people in showbiz working in the UK. They come from all parts of the country.

Dubliners such as myself would resent people outside the pale calling them West Brits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thought west brit had become a term of abuse from 'ra heads directed at anyone who doesn't believe in their "cause"?
    +1
    Anybody that I have never heard say teh term has been a retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So what do you call Brits then - West Europeans..?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So what do you call Brits then - West Europeans..?

arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Jackeen is fine by me even though it basically means the same thing as West Brit. West Brit is usually said with a bit more venom than jackeen/culchie so I usually see it as offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay as this thread is seemingly indirectly addressing me (since I was the only one who used the term in the thread which the OP felt he couldn't post in, and instead decided to start a new one) I'm just going to clear up the fact that when I used the term it was solely on the level of the annoying accent.
    I think the string I used was "west brit/mid atlantic/SoCal/Dort".
    This string solely refers to the inflection, intonation and word usage associated with certain Dublin accents that have emerged in modern times...as far as the "west brit" part goes, it refers to those Dubliners that speak with the rarified upperclass tones that are more associated with the English than they are the Irish, and in particular where it is exaggerated or put on, in some attempt to sound as if they're from anywhere but Dublin.
    The term was not meant as a slur either politically or otherwise. As for my usage of it...sue me, I grew up on the border and it's a phrase that's common in these parts (for the wrong reasons alluded to by others). The term carries baggage and seems to have annoyed some people on here, but let me again say that it was not meant in the context which the OP has taken it up. I won't apologise for using it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

nuxxx wrote: »
    arseholes

RACIST!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

nuxxx wrote: »
    arseholes

I'm english watch your manners :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'm english watch your manners :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHaCzb3yYk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Jackeen is kind of a culchy reversal. Though it's losing out to Junkie recently

People who say West Brit are always cock knockers who think being a republican makes them cultured/important

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement