Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Dudess wrote: »
    You're still babbling nonsense and thinking you can read people's minds I see.
    Jeez Dudess -people were using the phrase West Brit back in the 19th Century.

Here is a link to the World Wide Words site

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-wes1.htm

It had nothing to do with "Up the RA"- or anything like that.

It was used in a geo-political sense then - and I think it is a very descriptive term-when used correctly.When its used in other ways its incorrect and a corruption.

As distinct from Jackeen(itself perjorative) which has come to mean a Dubliner- and has its origans in flag waving.

Why you are getting all hot and bothered because a phrase doesnt mean what you would like it to mean is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

CDfm wrote: »
    So Tim- how would you define a West Brit - would you say its a geographical thing (which I think it aint) ideolgical (my view) and/or perjorative?

There seems to be a bit of disagreement from people who want it to be a nice cuddly phrase.

Anglophiles mostly -doncha know.:)
    In some cases it's just posh people. People who like things that are status based to indicate class and for no other reason. If nackers played tennis, they'd never want to go to Wimbledon. It would probably be better to call these people posh.

In other cases it's just used by people who say are G.A.A. heads and have been told to look down on rugby - a sort of inverse snobbery.

So, it's a silly term for insecure people to add to their lexicon. Easier to call people names then to think critically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

surley if you want to insult a dubliner, then all you have to do is call them a dubliner? why drag the poor brits into the middle of it?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Wertz wrote: »
    haha what a sh*tfest this thread's turned into.
    Only reason I'm back in here is to call the OP out on his initial post:

Now in the interests of fairness I've read back through all 150 posts in the accent thread ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055440978 ) but for the life of me I can't find either of the above quotes in it at all...in fact the only direct reference to the term "west-brit" is made solely by me and I've already outlined my usage of it and the context. ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58306769&postcount=27 )

Seems to me that the OP has gone out of their way to find offence where none had actually been forthcoming and that in the course of this thread that far more name calling and use of the term has emerged than was ever mooted in the accent thread.

So has Hub just drawn some very poor conclusions by reading between the lines and shooting from the hip? Seems like that to me.
    BTW for what it's worth when I've heard "west-brit" used in it's "proper" context, it hasn't been used to solely refer to just people from Dublin (more hang ups?) but people from anywhere on this island.
    This whole thread just reinforces the point that some Dubliners really need to get over whatever this persecution complex is they've dreamt up over the past while...no-one in bog trotter land is out to get you, defame you, ride you, rob you or do much of anything else to you...and tbfh if you can't take a bit of name calling (when it actually happens that is), especially on a forum such as this one then you have far bigger problems to worry about on down the line...

I haven't a clue what thread but I definitely read someone calling Dubliners "closet English people"

It's not thread about Dublin vs Country. What's the point in that?

I know some people use it as banter, but guess what? Some people are serious when they say it. The reason I ask it was to get into the psyche of the person saying it.

It's like "because your middle class, you're a Brit" WTF?

I want to know what they differentiate between being Irish and English and why they associate being from a rich area in Dublin as being British. I genuinely fell a bit bad for them because looks bad on Irish people as a whole.

As I said before, the nouveau richie set in Dublin can be serious tools, but a lot aren't like that, and anything is better than that "poor drunkin' paddy stereotype"

In some cases it's just posh people. People who like things that are status based to indicate class and for no other reason. If nackers played tennis, they'd never want to go to Wimbledon. It would probably be better to call these people posh.

In other cases it's just used by people who say are G.A.A. heads and have been told to look down on rugby - a sort of inverse snobbery.

So, it's a silly term for insecure people to add to their lexicon. Easier to call people names then to think critically.

Tim -DAW - calling a snob "posh" isnt much of an insult:mad:

Calling an Anglophile a " West Brit" dilutes the phrase.

An Anglophile is like a blonde "West Brit".

Very much like saying Phil instead of Phil the Greek for the Duke of Edinbugh. The former is disrespectul the second insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As already alluded to 'west brit' is a culchie expression to refer to anyone
    who lives in Dublin as opposed to a bog-man who lives in the sticks but shops
    in Tesco/B&Q/Currys/Top Shop/M&S, watches BBC/ITV/C4/Sky
    and supports an English/Scottish soccer team.

West brit is not a culchie expression, it's an old expression from revolutionary times which tarred the middle classes (who didn't want to break from the UK) as west brittons.

Nowadays, it means someone Anglo-Irish or protestant. If cuntry folk wish to call Dubs west brits to insult them it's ironic, as most of the Anglo-Irish community lives outside Dublin in their big stately homes.

West brit is not a culchie expression, it's an old expression from revolutionary times which tarred the middle classes (who didn't want to break from the UK) as west brittons.

Nowadays, it means someone Anglo-Irish or protestant. If cuntry folk wish to call Dubs west brits to insult them it's ironic, as most of the Anglo-Irish community lives outside Dublin in their big stately homes.
    I disagree with your definition as it is not targeted at Anglo-Irish.

But I cant fault you for respecting it as an insult.

Its time for reclaiming the West-Brit as an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

A lot of people are defining what a west brit is. That's not really what I'm interested in. I know the definition and it's easy to see why George Bigglesforth-Smithersworth that lives on Wicklow estate and sent his kids to Eaton would be called a west brit. I know someone who used to go out with someone exactly like that, although the double barrell name sounded more Irish actually.

Also should thouse guys still own that land? Didn't they basically rob it? Should they not be ****ed off it, maybe let them keep the houses, seeing as they probably built them. That's for another thread I guess

I just want to know why would posses someone to call a middleclass dubliner a West Brit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hub wrote: »
    I just want to know why would posses someone to call a middleclass dubliner a West Brit.

Jealousy, contempt, fear, ingnorance, lack of sheep to shag. It depends on the person.

I fail to see how a hot blooded catholic could be offended at being called a west brit, as it's simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CDfm wrote: »
    Its time for reclaiming the West-Brit as an insult.

To arms, brethern, to arms; no longer shall we sit and accept scraps from the Sasannah table, no free speech for traitors and in conclusion, read my lips.... or some other ****e like that....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

MooseJam wrote: »
    where were all the culchies in 1916

hate to burst your little bubble but just because the rising happened in dublin doesnt mean us culchies werent involved.things did happen in galway,louth,meath and wexford,but only minor.but culchies involved in dublin as leaders include Ned Daly,Thomas McDonagh,Eamonn Ceannt and Sean MacDiarmada.how about Michael Collins for a culchies input into the war for independence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

pinder wrote: »
    hate to burst your little bubble but just because the rising happened in dublin doesnt mean us culchies werent involved.things did happen in galway,louth,meath and wexford,but only minor.but culchies involved in dublin as leaders include Ned Daly,Thomas McDonagh,Eamonn Ceannt and Sean MacDiarmada.how about Michael Collins for a culchies input into the war for independence

Jaysus. Why not just have a civil war again. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

im what youd call a culchie and id never call a middle class dubliner a west brit,it doesnt make sense.someone who send their children to belvedere and schools like that and who have those posh dublin accents id be more inclined to call a west brit.and as for culchie,having a word that abuses us(i dont know where the insult is) because we're not from dublin,is one of the very few negatives about not living in the capital

im what youd call a culchie and id never call a middle class dubliner a west brit,it doesnt make sense.someone who send their children to belvedere and schools like that and who have those posh dublin accents id be more inclined to call a west brit.and as for culchie,having a word that abuses us(i dont know where the insult is) because we're not from dublin,is one of the very few negatives about not living in the capital

West Brits have an affected use of the phrase Boxing Day and if you ask them they cant tell you what it means or where the phrases comes from.I think its origans are for hungover West Brits to get up on Stephens Day and not having an empire or colonials to pick on beat each other up. Most edifying.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, you can a Dublin culchie, believe me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement