Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Dublin people are so far up their own hole, they'd need a dentist to get themselves out.

Just because ye have the Luas, you all think you have the god given privelage to act like ****, both when you're in Dublin and when ye are at your holiday homes and stag parties in Mayo.

You think that just because everything is in Dublin, and that the NRA, a prime example, are suspending all but one road development in the West, yet increasing investment for Dublin roads, that you all can call anything outside of your poxy commuter belts in Dublin, culchie's, when in fact that term is only named after one town in Ireland (Kiltamagh).
    MooseJam wrote: »
    where were all the culchies in 1916
    My grandad was a bogman from a hill in a shíthole in Mayo. He led attacks against the auxilliaries in the West. Fully trained in Guerilla warfare, and along with 4 other men, patrolled the Sheeffry Hills in Leenane. There was a total of 900 IRA members - 400 active in Mayo alone in 1917.

Just because it isn't in your history book that anywhere outside of Dublin and cork were attacked, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. DeValera was a culchie(West Clare), as was Michael Collins (Cork) and a lot more of the people in Bolands Mills in 1916. Not everyone in the History books is from Dublin - you do know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Bleedin' culchies, settle down and eat some potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Collie D wrote: »
    Union Jack. You've really never heard that?

Nope - must be the company I hang around with ;) I would have guessed that it was just an Irish name or something...
    Dublin people are so far up their own hole, they'd need a dentist to get themselves out...

Just because it isn't in your history book that anywhere outside of Dublin and cork were attacked, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. DeValera was a culchie(West Clare), as was Michael Collins (Cork) and a lot more of the people in Bolands Mills in 1916. Not everyone in the History books is from Dublin - you do know that?

No need to be so serious on AH - all that's going to bring you is pent up rage and a hernia...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dublin people are so far up their own hole, they'd need a dentist to get themselves out.

Just because ye have the Luas, you all think you have the god given privelage to act like ****, both when you're in Dublin and when ye are at your holiday homes and stag parties in Mayo.

You think that just because everything is in Dublin, and that the NRA, a prime example, are suspending all but one road development in the West, yet increasing investment for Dublin roads, that you all can call anything outside of your poxy commuter belts in Dublin, culchie's, when in fact that term is only named after one town in Ireland (Kiltamagh).

Sony. Aiwa. Alba. Panasonic. Pioneer. Acoustic Solutions. JVC. Philips. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

The term jackeens arose during the easter rebellion when a british gunboat came steaming in up the liffey with guns ready. The brave dubs who lived along the liffey up at Bull wall and North wall hung union jack flags out their windows so that the brits wouldnt shoot/bomb them.
    a little knowlege goes a long way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Bleedin' culchies, settle down and eat some potatoes.
    I fúcking <3 potatoes.
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    No need to be so serious on AH - all that's going to bring you is pent up rage and a hernia...
    It's good for letting out steam. Dublin customers, coming into the shopping, pisses you off... been dying to get that off my chest for weeks.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Sony. Aiwa. Alba. Panasonic. Pioneer. Acoustic Solutions. JVC. Philips. :rolleyes:
    Sounds about right ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pipsqueak wrote: »
    The term jackeens arose during the easter rebellion when a british gunboat came steaming in up the liffey with guns ready. The brave dubs who lived along the liffey up at Bull wall and North wall hung union jack flags out their windows so that the brits wouldnt shoot/bomb them.
    a little knowlege goes a long way!

So it means smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hub wrote: »

"Dubliners are closet English people"

r

Don't be stupid. That's completely isolated to anyone from Killiney, Foxrock or the parts of Howth with a sea view.

So it means smart?

smart? smart in the way that their fellow country men who were holed up in buildings around dublin and being bombed out of smart?
    yea you say they were smart

could say sic

• Advertisement

smart? smart in the way that their fellow country men who were holed up in buildings around dublin and being bombed out of smart?
    yea you say they were smart

But you said they did it "so that the brits wouldnt shoot/bomb them". If you ask me it's smarter to grit your teeth, wave the flag, save your skin and live to fight another day than to let yourself get shot and bombed during an unpopular badly organised rising.

I wouldn't be happy about it but principles are no good to you if you're dead.

But you said they did it "so that the brits wouldnt shoot/bomb them". If you ask me it's smarter to grit your teeth, wave the flag, save your skin and live to fight another day than to let yourself get shot and bombed during an unpopular badly organised rising.

I wouldn't be happy about it but principles are no good to you if you're dead.

spoken like a true dub!!!

spoken like a true dub!!!

Not doing your country any favours getting killed when you're outnumbered and outgunned imo. It's admirable and admittedly more courageous than waving the flag but foolhardy nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I only use the word culchie as a lighthearted bit of banter, as I'm sure most people do but some of you are taking it way too much to heart on here. No need to start another civil war lads, there's plenty of potatoes to go around.

Only difference between us really is that in Dublin we make chips from the potatoes and cover them with curry sauce and cheese. Culchies just eat the potatoes raw and sometimes smothered with pigs blood on Sundays.

What's the problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Originally Posted by Hub View Post

"Dubliners are closet English people"
    sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Don't be stupid. That's completely isolated to anyone from Killiney, Foxrock or the parts of Howth with a sea view.

Yeah but did I f~cking say that Einstein? That's probably why I put it in " "

Two howaya sluts walk into Brown Thomas (Dublin), they stroll up to the perfume counter and pick up a sample bottle. Sharon sprays it on her wrist and smells it: 'Dat's quite nice innit, don't you tink Jacinta?'. 'Yeah, what's it called?'. 'Viens a moi' 'VIENS A MOI, what the f##k does that mean? At this stage the assistant offers some help. 'Viens a moi, ladies, is French for "come to me". Sharon, takes another sniff and offers her arm to Jacinta again saying, "That doesn't smell like come to me, does that smell like come to you?".

Yeah but did I f~cking say that Einstein? That's probably why I put it in " "

Sorry I should have put massive big flashing sarcasm tags in there somewhere.

It's 3am, t'was meant light-heartedly ;)

Yeah well just don't let it happen again

Yeah well just don't let it happen again

Yes boss.

*Drafts hate mail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Calling someone a westbrit is an insult. It generally means the person is acting like they'd rather be British than Irish. Examples would be acting mad posh with accents and golf clubs or whatever aspiring rich people do nowadays and shunning Irish culture and history like it's some unsightly and frankly embarassing boil. Oh, and being a unionist doesn't help either.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Okay as this thread is seemingly indirectly addressing me (since I was the only one who used the term in the thread which the OP felt he couldn't post in, and instead decided to start a new one) I'm just going to clear up the fact that when I used the term it was solely on the level of the annoying accent.
    I think the string I used was "west brit/mid atlantic/SoCal/Dort".
    This string solely refers to the inflection, intonation and word usage associated with certain Dublin accents that have emerged in modern times...as far as the "west brit" part goes, it refers to those Dubliners that speak with the rarified upperclass tones that are more associated with the English than they are the Irish, and in particular where it is exaggerated or put on, in some attempt to sound as if they're from anywhere but Dublin.
    The term was not meant as a slur either politically or otherwise. As for my usage of it...sue me, I grew up on the border and it's a phrase that's common in these parts (for the wrong reasons alluded to by others). The term carries baggage and seems to have annoyed some people on here, but let me again say that it was not meant in the context which the OP has taken it up. I won't apologise for using it though.

In fairness there's **** all posh Dubliners who speak like posh Brits. None in fact that I've come across. It's more of an American twang to it.

And I'm not getting upset over it. At all. I'm just taking the piss out of it. What are they hoping to achieve from a slagging perspective.

And what the **** constitutes as acting like a Brit. Wearing a scarf? Not working in a factory? 'Cos plenty of Brits work in factories and probably dislike scarf/coat wearers (Geordies)

Calling someone a westbrit is an insult. It generally means the person is acting like they'd rather be British than Irish. Examples would be acting mad posh with accents and golf clubs or whatever aspiring rich people do nowadays and shunning Irish culture and history like it's some unsightly and frankly embarassing boil. Oh, and being a unionist doesn't help either.

lol

So you're basically saying you have to be poor to be Irish, not counting that some of the biggest advocates of Irish nationalism in the 1800s early 1900s were loaded? That you have to love in the past, singing rebel songs and writing the names of fallen volunteers in blood on the walls? That's what being Irish is. Not just like, you know, being born in the f-cking country to Irish parents.

People who use that phrase have issues. They hate themselves and are insecure to see fellow Irishmen succeed.

Note: Not that I'm condoning D4ism. Some serious ****ing douchbags around, but you get that every where in that type of set. Look on Wall st. and you see some of the biggest ***** in the world with no personality. The Dublin version is the nouveau richie tool with no personality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

For the uneducated read Ross O'Carroll-Kelly to understand what a west Brit is.

lol

So you're basically saying you have to be poor to be Irish? That you have to love in the past, singing rebel songs and writing the names of fallen volenteers in blood on the walls? That's what being Irish is. Not just like, you know, being born in the f-cking country to Irish parents.

There is a happy medium somewhere between shunning your heritage and culture and singing rebel songs and writing the names of fallen volunteers in blood you know.

It's not just one extreme or the other.

Originally Posted by Hub View Post
    lol

So you're basically saying you have to be poor to be Irish, not counting that some of the biggest advocates of Irish nationalism in the 1800s early 1900s were loaded?"
    There is a happy medium somewhere between shunning your heritage and culture and singing rebel songs and writing the names of fallen volunteers in blood you know.

It's not just one extreme or the other.

You didn't get the edit

"So you're basically saying you have to be poor to be Irish, not counting that some of the biggest advocates of Irish nationalism in the 1800s early 1900s were loaded?"

How is he British though? Because he's rich? The Swiss are loaded. Why don't you call them West Swiss? He's massive tool yeah, but how is he British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

lol Irony.

Hey man, at my school reunion last week and you should have seen Fintan Quinn. Man he turned into such a ****ing West Swiss. ****ing wearing a coat and a scarf. WTF? Who does he think he is? He was speaking in this really fake Swiss/Irish hybrid accent that was totally ridiculous. I was thinking to myself like...you're f-cking tool Fintan Quinn, with your college education and your money and your normal pleasant manner. What a tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

*monocle drops in disgust*

What say you old chap?

*throws crumpet*

Toodle pip, old bean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

How is he British though? Because he's rich? The Swiss are loaded. Why don't you call them West Swiss? He's massive tool yeah, but how is he British?

Who did I call a West Brit? Reread my post, I called no-one a West Brit. I said read his books, not that he is a West Brit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement