Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

lol Irony.

Touché:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You think that just because everything is in Dublin, and that the NRA, a prime example, are suspending all but one road development in the West, yet increasing investment for Dublin roads, that you all can call anything outside of your poxy commuter belts in Dublin, culchie's, when in fact that term is only named after one town in Ireland (Kiltamagh).

Look, we're better than you. The NRA even know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Talk about a crisis of identity. It seems from reading this forum that anyone who has grown up in Ireland from the 70's onwards and has decided to put the nationalistic crap behind them is seen as a 'west brit.'

If you follow rugby, read a decent newspaper, read, get on with your life, display any sort of ambition that is beyond going to the pub and getting pissed every friday/sat/sun and maintain any sort of self control you're a west brit.

If you disagree with the spoutings of the various politicans in office you get tarred with the label 'west brit' I know I have.

Essentially I think the term 'west brit' has become a catch all phrase for anyone who is progressive in their thinking and gets on with their life as they see fit.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

RiverWilde wrote: »
    Talk about a crisis of identity. It seems from reading this forum that anyone who has grown up in Ireland from the 70's onwards and has decided to put the nationalistic crap behind them is seen as a 'west brit.'

If you follow rugby, read a decent newspaper, read, get on with your life, display any sort of ambition that is beyond going to the pub and getting pissed every friday/sat/sun and maintain any sort of self control you're a west brit.

If you disagree with the spoutings of the various politicans in office you get tarred with the label 'west brit' I know I have.

Essentially I think the term 'west brit' has become a catch all phrase for anyone who is progressive in their thinking and gets on with their life as they see fit.

Riv

...you sound like a bit of a West Swiss tosspot to me, baaaaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Hub wrote: »

No need for name calling.

• Advertisement

...and anyone who's on time and efficent can be a West German, anyone that's good with electronics and gadgets can be a West Jap...or should that be East Jap?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

That the best you can come up with? Such originality :rolleyes:

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

...Why yes old chap, I do indeed support Sinn Fein and I would only just love to ravish Mary Lou

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

lol

So you're basically saying you have to be poor to be Irish, not counting that some of the biggest advocates of Irish nationalism in the 1800s early 1900s were loaded? That you have to love in the past, singing rebel songs and writing the names of fallen volunteers in blood on the walls? That's what being Irish is. Not just like, you know, being born in the f-cking country to Irish parents.

People who use that phrase have issues. They hate themselves and are insecure to see fellow Irishmen succeed.

Note: Not that I'm condoning D4ism. Some serious ****ing douchbags around, but you get that every where in that type of set. Look on Wall st. and you see some of the biggest ***** in the world with no personality. The Dublin version is the nouveau richie tool with no personality
    I was merely explaining the term. The question of cultural identity is an extremely messy one which I have absolutely no intention of discussing with you.

RiverWilde wrote: »
    That the best you can come up with? Such originality :rolleyes:

Riv

Oh and I was only taking the piss, jesus. Your first post was bang on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

west brit is a more venomous term then culchie and why would one be so venomous? jealousy perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

TPD wrote: »
    RACIST!

"It's not racism Bill. It's ethnic criticism" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I read in the accent thread

"Ooooh ye jackeens, you're nothin but a bunch of west brits"

"Dubliners are closet English people"

Seriously...what does that even mean? Is it supposed to be an insult or something. Probably the lamest slag ever

While various remarks about pushing drugs, snatching handbags and general crapology I laugh off, I'd have to say I wouldn't take that particular remark well. Or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next time you see a thread with a link to a online paper like sun.co.uk or similar, check location - always Dublin. Count Xavi in there too even though he's in Oz.

1916 explained

MooseJam wrote: »
    where were all the culchies in 1916

Seán Mac Diarmada - birthplace: Kiltyclogher, County Leitrim, Ireland
    THOMAS MacDONAGH - birthplace: Cloughjordan, County Tipperary, Ireland
    EAMONN CEANNT - birthplace: Ballymoe, County Galway, Ireland
    JAMES CONNOLLY - birthplace: Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland
    Joseph Mary Plunkett - birthplace: Dublin City, Ireland
    Padraig Pearse - birthplace: Dublin City, Ireland

So, to answer your question: where were all the culchies? Planning the damned thing!

Oh and the link in biko's post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Seán Mac Diarmada - birthplace: Kiltyclogher, County Leitrim, Ireland
    THOMAS MacDONAGH - birthplace: Cloughjordan, County Tipperary, Ireland
    EAMONN CEANNT - birthplace: Ballymoe, County Galway, Ireland
    JAMES CONNOLLY - birthplace: Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland
    Joseph Mary Plunkett - birthplace: Dublin City, Ireland
    Padraig Pearse - birthplace: Dublin City, Ireland

So, to answer your question: where were all the culchies? Planning the damned thing!

Oh and the link in biko's post

Meh, i think u'l find most 'Dubs' who calls someone a culchie has a mammy from West Kerry and daddy from Ballygobackwards and are just trying to cover up their culchie insecurities.

all the real pure blood dubs are high on heroin and don’t give a crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Not too sure where you are going with this. I mean, surely no one is moronic enough to think the only place affected by the war and the Rising was Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

nuxxx wrote: »

LMFAO

Best post ever - Bravo :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Who really gives a fck what people call other people as a slag/retort?

You're a stupid culchie!!

No, you're a stupid West Brit though!!

WAHHHHHH!!!!! UNFAIR!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seriously...what does that even mean? Is it supposed to be an insult or something. Probably the lamest slag ever
    Well they are arent they?They call the guards the "police".Call their friends "mates" and posh Dubs sound English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

darkdubh wrote: »
    Well they are arent they?They call the guards the "police".Call their friends "mates" and posh Dubs sound English.

I live in an area where a lot of "Posh Dubs" live and they all sound like they are from like todally awesome california tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

A friend of mine (ooh, Devil's advocate here) living in Dublin for 10+ years but from rural Ireland opined the following one night in the pub:

- Southside Dubliners: a completely fake accent that is cast halfway between South California and BBC Radio circa 1940.

- Northside Dubliners: kind of like an Irish culchie impersonating a Glasgow accent.

As for Dublin city - my opinion here - it doesn't have much of an Irish soul to it at all. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I like Dublin, I like Galway and Cork as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Fighting in Dublin or the Somme

Thomas McDonagh was from Tipperary.

Tom Clarke was from Tyrone.

Seán Mac Diarmada was from Leitrim.

No need to continue.

West Brit and Séonin were terms that were used during the Gaelic Revival when people supported Soccer and Rugby instead of GAA. Or people who chose English Literature ahead of Irish Literature. Or Used English or didnt join the Gaelic League etc.

Today its aimed at the privileged people of South County Dublin who dont have any relationship with Gaelic Ireland.

Alot of Dubs and Culchies follow the English premiership, soaps Royal Family etc. Would be known as west brits.

We are all Irish if you ask me, and to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Re: 1916. There was some rebellion in Cork or Kerry.
    I can't remember which. I always get those two places mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

D4 = west brit accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

On the western front fighting for their king.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't mind being called a West Brit, especially not by swampdonkeys. I haven't been to the mainland in a while, but I'm looking forward my next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't mind being called a West Brit, especially not by swampdonkeys. I haven't been to the mainland in a while, but I'm looking forward my next visit.

Careful not to upset the natives old bean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

West Brit & proud!!!
    Still can't get used to the smell of ****e though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement