Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Have you tried bathing? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

pipsqueak wrote: »
    The term jackeens arose during the easter rebellion when a british gunboat came steaming in up the liffey with guns ready. The brave dubs who lived along the liffey up at Bull wall and North wall hung union jack flags out their windows so that the brits wouldnt shoot/bomb them.
    a little knowlege goes a long way!

I've heard that one alright, but the one I'm more familiar with related to the union jack being waved by large numbers of crowds during the visits of members of the Royal family to Dublin in the early 20th century.

D4 of course has within it Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook. That area has a strong Anglo-Irish past with a large local protestant community. As it's west of Britain and the local accent takes much from its history people living in the postcode, specifically Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook are referred to as West Brits. Essentially anyone with an Anglo-Irish accent would be deemed a West Brit due to that trait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

A friend of mine was defending himself from the title "Westbrit" by (jokingly) listing off his republican connections when he got hit with
    "Ya D4 Republican"

A clasic that proves that people from the countryside are just better at labels and should not be messed with:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Wertz wrote: »
    Have you tried bathing? :pac:

There's far too many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

hottstuff wrote: »
    There's far too many of them.

There is free movement between Britain and Ireland you know? I think you should make use of it.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    There is free movement between Britain and Ireland you know? I think you should make use of it.

I'm not British, i was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

stakey wrote: »
    I've heard that one alright, but the one I'm more familiar with related to the union jack being waved by large numbers of crowds during the visits of members of the Royal family to Dublin in the early 20th century.

D4 of course has within it Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook. That area has a strong Anglo-Irish past with a large local protestant community. As it's west of Britain and the local accent takes much from its history people living in the postcode, specifically Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook are referred to as West Brits. Essentially anyone with an Anglo-Irish accent would be deemed a West Brit due to that trait.

You forgot to mention Kingstown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think you should be careful about how you conduct yourself here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You forgot to mention Kingstown :)

Or Queenstown in Cork or King's County in Offaly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have listened to more than one irish buisiness man trying to talk with a posh english accent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The phrase was discussed in the Wind That Shakes The Barley thread. It's an awfully annoying, ignorant phrase when used incorrectly - well it's an awfully annoying, ignorant phrase full stop really, because it's supposed to be an insult. The days of being likened to a "Brit" as insulting are long gone. If it has to be used, it really should only apply to people like Conor Cruise O'Brien, Kevin Myers and Eoghan Harris. I'd prefer to use the phrase "attention-seeking sh1t-stirrers who revel in going against the grain simply for the sake of it" to apply to those guys though.

It's always being thrown out by people here for "offences" such as not supporting Sinn Fein. I love British culture and sense of humour and generally consider them a great bunch of people. I also wouldn't vote Sinn Fein if you paid me... guess that makes me a west Brit to the chucky contingent. And yet... I want a united Ireland, I'm angered by the treatment of catholics in the north and the behaviour of the British here pre-1922, I can't get my head around an Irish person being a unionist... so am I still, therefore, a west Brit?

Dudess wrote: »
    so am I still, therefore, a west Brit?

I don't know about that , but you sure smell nice.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Kevin Myers is a legend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I love British culture and sense of humour and generally consider them a great bunch of people. I also wouldn't vote Sinn Fein if you paid me... guess that makes me a west Brit to the chucky contingent. And yet... I want a united Ireland, I'm angered by the treatment of catholics in the north and the behaviour of the British here pre-1922, I can't get my head around an Irish person being a unionist... so am I still, therefore, a west Brit?

You sound more like a Plastic Paddy to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Here_Young_Wan

Calling someone a West Brit in 2008 is a bit on the stupid side. Like you do realise Ireland as a wholes culture and how we act is pretty similar to the Brits now anyways and vice versa....like how exactly do you go about "acting British" :rolleyes:....or Not acting British....River dance up the street witha paddy hat on? Its ok.....I think I'd rather be a jackeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Calling someone a westbrit is an insult. .

Not really. It's a bogger or skanky 'RA head saying you're different and you annoy them.

Thank f*cking Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't mind being called a West Brit, especially not by swampdonkeys. I haven't been to the mainland in a while, but I'm looking forward my next visit.
    Didn't know your from Germany.
    It's an awfully annoying, ignorant phrase when used incorrectly - well it's an awfully annoying, ignorant phrase full stop really, because it's supposed to be an insult. The days of being likened to a "Brit" as insulting are long gone.
    It still gets the intended indignation, though. Esp if the live in D4, know the history, but still doesn't want to labelled British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I don't mind being called a West Brit, especially not by swampdonkeys. I haven't been to the mainland in a while, but I'm looking forward my next visit.
    Might as well stay there seeing as you feel so at home there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

darkdubh wrote: »
    Might as well stay there seeing as you feel so at home there.

It were a joke innit. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Calling someone a West Brit in 2008 is a bit on the stupid side. Like you do realise Ireland as a wholes culture and how we act is pretty similar to the Brits now anyways and vice versa....like how exactly do you go about "acting British" :rolleyes:....or Not acting British....River dance up the street witha paddy hat on? Its ok.....I think I'd rather be a jackeen.
    I kindof agree with you in a way.But from a Social and And cultural angle Dublin has had greater exposure to UK media and as the colonial administration was based in dublin were assimilated into british culture.

Growing up a culchie -RTE borrowed loads from the UK and even Gaybo with his show foisted UK celebreties that no one outside Dublin knew -not having more than RTE and no multi-channell.

I think west Brit is a contemptuous description of that aspiration and in that way its quite apt really.In that way the institutions and traditions look back to it.

I can see why the term is used and it is intended perjoratively and when I use it thats what I intend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There was not way I was reading this whole thread so if this has been said already, Fcuk you.

Jackeen, come from a time when some British Monarch came to Dublin and the Dubs came out in their droves with Union Jacks. (This is how I heard it anyway)

West Brit, is obvious, they are just west of Britain and allegedly try to be like them.

Thats what I was told, I am pretty sure I am right. As always, it seems so logical!!!

There was not way I was reading this whole thread so if this has been said already, Fcuk you.

Jackeen, come from a time when some British Monarch came to Dublin and the Dubs came out in their droves with Union Jacks. (This is how I heard it anyway)

West Brit, is obvious, they are just west of Britain and allegedly try to be like them.

Thats what I was told, I am pretty sure I am right. As always, it seems so logical!!!
    the emphasis is on the brit not on the west

i hadnt heard that decription of jackeen before. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

T

So, the rest of Ireland, being even further West, is even more west Brit?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

MooseJam wrote: »
    where were all the culchies in 1916

Having eggs thrown at them by Dublin scumbags as they were marched to prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I first heard that discription about 25 years ago as a young lad living in Dublin .Perhaps back then it had more to do with recieving BBC 1,2 AND ITV more than anything else .Now everybody can recieve muitple channels so that concept is knocked on the head .

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So, the rest of Ireland, being even further West, is even more west Brit?
    i think the phrase Has its origans with Daniel O'Connell in his speeches. it hasnt dated.

latchyco wrote: »
    I first heard that discription about 25 years ago as a young lad living in Dublin .Perhaps back then it had more to do with recieving BBC 1,2 AND ITV more than anything else .Now everybody can recieve muitple channels so that concept is knocked on the head .
    nah its too good to let go.

socially and culturally you are stuck with it. And if the Queen visited yous would be out with yer union jacks all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

CDfm wrote: »
    nah its too good to let go.

socially and culturally you are stuck with it. And if the Queen visited yous would be out with yer union jacks all over again.
    Well back in the mid 80s i was working alongside and socisalising a bit with some people from Co Meath who lived in RTE land and had done so since the start of irish tv in the 60s .They had never watched Dallas ,Coronation Street , Auf weidersein pet , and tons of other stuff due to their locality .

You could on the one hand say thay were starved of alterntive / british tv entertainment ............or just Starved of any alternitive tv entertainment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

'jackeen' refers to dubs only, because some british king came over about a hundred years ago and the the streets of dublin were lined with union JACKS and dubs cheering him on.

West-Brit refers to the anglo-irish, who today are usually landed gentry living on the remaining big old estates around the country, who's ancestors would have come over hundreds of years ago. They usually have a 'posh' british accent still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

ruxpin82 wrote: »
    'jackeen' refers to dubs only, because some british king came over about a hundred years ago and the the streets of dublin were lined with union JACKS and dubs cheering him on.

West-Brit refers to the anglo-irish, who today are usually landed gentry living on the remaining big old estates around the country, who's ancestors would have come over hundreds of years ago. They usually have a 'posh' british accent still.

Bang On. Jackeens are dubs and are called so because when Queen victria visited Ireland in 1990 thousands of Dubs were waiting for her arrival waving the union jack. more info on the visit here http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/General/victoria.htm.

But for the record there is nothing worse than a DULCHIE a person from the country who speak, act, and dress like they are from inner city Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement