Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

stovelid wrote: »
    Not really. It's a bogger or skanky 'RA head saying you're different and you annoy them.

Thank f*cking Jesus.
    It's intended as an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Hub wrote: »
    Seriously...what does that even mean? Is it supposed to be an insult or something. Probably the lamest slag ever

In fairness, if I had to live down the country, I reckon I'd be bitter about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

ruxpin82 wrote: »
    'jackeen' refers to dubs only, because some british king came over about a hundred years ago and the the streets of dublin were lined with union JACKS and dubs cheering him on.

West-Brit refers to the anglo-irish, who today are usually landed gentry living on the remaining big old estates around the country, who's ancestors would have come over hundreds of years ago. They usually have a 'posh' british accent still.
    i think you doth protest too much.

Lets Check -mods is calling someone a West Brit an infraction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's intended as an insult.

Indeed.

In very much the same way as doesn't wear unpeasant polyester SPL sportswear and uses long words would be.

I usually find that I recover from the wounds pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

There is nothing worse than a west brit. They should be sent over to the country they love so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    There is nothing worse than a west brit. They should be sent over to the country they love so well.

Says the man utd supporter :D you should be supporting LOI

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So, the rest of Ireland, being even further West, is even more west Brit?
    its an aspirational thing. If you aspire to and admire British Culture and Tradition you are a West Brit.

If anyone is in any doubtask any Irish Republican what it stands for and they will disabuse you that its benign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bang On. Jackeens are dubs and are called so because when Queen victria visited Ireland in 1990 thousands of Dubs were waiting for her arrival waving the union jack. more info on the visit here http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/General/victoria.htm.

But for the record there is nothing worse than a DULCHIE a person from the country who speak, act, and dress like they are from inner city Dublin.

I knew Queen Victoria was a long reigning monarch but that's some reign ;)
    The closest we had to a British monarch visiting was when Chas was in Dublin in the mid-90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CDfm wrote: »
    its an aspirational thing. If you aspire to and admire British Culture and Tradition you are a West Brit.

If anyone is in any doubtask any Irish Republican what it stands for and they will disabuse you that its benign.

Think I'll pass. I wouldn't trust an Irish Republican to give me the time, thanks.

Wonder what passes for "aspire[ing] to and admire British Culture and Tradition"? Morris Dancing and Beef Wellington?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Well I dont know much about where it came from but the reason I use the term west brit now is because alot of Dublin people seem to have a different attitute to the rest of Ireland. I only use to take the piss out of Dubliners when theyre calling me a culchie. The place and people reek of ex British colony where as when your around Cork,Limerick, Kerry,Tipp, Galway,Clare,etc it feels like the Irishness was never lost to the Brits.

• Advertisement

Think I'll pass. I wouldn't trust an Irish Republican to give me the time, thanks.

Wonder what passes for "aspire[ing] to and admire British Culture and Tradition"? Morris Dancing and Beef Wellington?
    I have never supported them-but thats the popular usage of the term.

I hope its badass enough for you.

Institutions I dont know - Trinity College , St Patricks Cathedral and the like.Dunleary Yacht Club _St Andrews - Dublin Castle -

Take me back to dear old blighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

hottstuff wrote: »
    I'm not British, i was joking.

So was I.

hottstuff wrote: »
    I'm not British, i was joking.
    But are you a West Brit?

Goody or Seoige?

Kerry Kattona or Andrea Corr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    But what exactly IS a west Brit?
    I admire British culture - film, music, TV, comedy, literature, theatre, journalism... many, many wonderful examples of the above have come out of Britain. Does that make me a west Brit? Even though I want a united Ireland and I get really annoyed by the complacency among people down here regarding the situation in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dudess wrote: »
    I admire British culture - film, music, TV, comedy, literature, theatre, journalism... many, many wonderful examples of the above have come out of Britain. Does that make me a west Brit?

No but this might:
    Iamawestbrit.

Out of context quoting is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

wouldn't trust an Irish Republican to give me the time, thanks.

"Why, it's time for sectarian violence!"
    I admire British culture - film, music, TV, comedy, literature, theatre, journalism... many, many wonderful examples of the above have come out of Britain. Does that make me a west Brit? Even though I want a united Ireland and I get really annoyed by the complacency among people down here regarding the situation in the North?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh yeah javaboy... you've put together a file of quotes of mine you can use out of context can't you? Don't forget the rape one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Don't forget to rape.

Fixing posts is fun as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Oh yeah javaboy... you've put together a file of quotes of mine you can use out of context can't you? Don't forget the rape one.

Don't knock out of context quoting. A lot of fine people writing for the red top rags have made a good living out of that. ;)

/digs up Dudess' pro-paedo and pro-rape quotes:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I was in dublin the other day at a house party, and a guy calls another guy a westbrit.

Conversation went something roughly like this:

A Why would you play rugby for. it's such a poncey game. Sure the english brought it in.
    B I've played it since school, I just like the sport
    ...contiues on for a while....
    A (laughs sneeringly)sure you're a west brit. ya big west brit!
    B. I'm a west brit right. What sport do you follow?
    A. GAA
    B. Anything else
    A. well Man U
    B. Ahhh right. You do know that is an english team.
    A. Sure thats different i'm not playing it am I?

• Advertisement

Bang On. Jackeens are dubs and are called so because when Queen victria visited Ireland in 1990 thousands of Dubs were waiting for her arrival waving the union jack. more info on the visit here http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/General/victoria.htm.

But for the record there is nothing worse than a DULCHIE a person from the country who speak, act, and dress like they are from inner city Dublin.

Quuen Victoria in 1990: and there was me thinkin she was dead!

That would make every single guy I know a West Brit. I never understand the people who say "I f*cking hate the english" and then go to watch a liverpool game, cheer on Lewis Hamilton, and listen to the arctic monkeys"!

And then when you press them on this they say "No i meant the stereotypical english.....you know what i mean"....eh yeah lads:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

An Fhile wrote: »
    Oh. My. God!

Dude, that is the best sarcasm I have EVER seen.

Bravo, man, bravo.

i know your'e TRYING to be sarcastic, but really, stop digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've been called a West Brit several times on these boards (Mainly during heated debates in the politics forum):D (South east actually)

Surely the term "West brit" is the same as the term "Paddy" in as much as the way it is said, or the context in which it is said is far more important than the actual term itself

Just getting all serious for a bit there.:)

I've been called a West Brit several times on these boards

+1

When I first came across the term, it was also used light-heartedly for some of the people I came across in TCD: posh, landed types (usually with British ancestry) from certain parts of Ireland.

Now, it's just become a sad term of abuse for Irish people who are not perceived to be Irish enough.

That would make every single guy I know a West Brit. I never understand the people who say "I f*cking hate the english" and then go to watch a liverpool game, cheer on Lewis Hamilton, and listen to the arctic monkeys"!

And then when you press them on this they say "No i meant the stereotypical english.....you know what i mean"....eh yeah lads:confused:
    Well - David Norris -well he is a West Brit as is John Bowman.Gay Byrne and Gerry Ryan too.Ed Byrne -is in there.

D'unbelieveables were never West Brit.

term of abuse for Irish people who are not perceived to be Irish enough.

I did a quick edit to make the meaning clearer.

But really - its what it is -not what you would like it to mean.

I did a quick edit to make the meaning clearer.

But really - its what it is -not what you would like it to mean.

Your edit amounted to removing the word sad which just makes it what you would like it to mean.

I can't see what David Norris, Gay Byrne and Gerry Ryan have in common, apart from being annoying cunts. Why not just call them that?

What's 'Brit' about Gerry Ryan?

• Advertisement

Your edit amounted to removing the word sad which just makes it what you would like it to mean.

I can't see what David Norris, Gay Byrne and Gerry Ryan have in common, apart from being annoying cunts. Why not just call them that?

What's 'Brit' about Gerry Ryan?

To be a West Brit is sad and to call someone a West Brit is mean.

Gerry Ryan is a West Brit - 1970s Brit Type DJ- confessional radio that would put Tony Blackburns marriage breakdown to shame. How Brit is that.

To call them C**ts would be demeaning to c**nts and would heap unmerited praise on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement