Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

CDfm wrote: »
    To be a West Brit is sad and to call someone a West Brit is mean.

Gerry Ryan is a West Brit - 1970s Brit Type DJ- confessional radio that would put Tony Blackburns marriage breakdown to shame. How Brit is that.

To call them C**ts would be demeaning to c**nts and would heap unmerited praise on them.

CDfm :eek:

I didn't know you were like that. why do you feel like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CDfm :eek:

I didn't know you were like that. why do you feel like that?

Because CDfm is a closet West Brit. you know the saying

"Denial is not a river in Egypt" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Gerry Ryan is a West Brit - 1970s Brit Type DJ- confessional radio that would put Tony Blackburns marriage breakdown to shame. How Brit is that.

So a west-brit means that you do something that an English dickhead has done at some stage. Like speaking English. Or wearing a Liverpool shirt. Or listening to English bands.

That's right. Fess up, CDfm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale

Game over ya british bashhhterd. 800 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

grasshopa wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale

Game over ya british bashhhterd. 800 years!!!

in other breaking news, the Pope was today confirmed as being Catholic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

ahhh so it's like the severe homophobic in that film 'American beauty' . ahem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but we're all west brits when you think about it

i mean look around you most of us shop in British owned stores .i.e tescos, currys, pc world, argos etc etc

and lets not forget all the irish who...
    • watch british television
    • read british newspapers
    • support british football clubs
    and also eat walker crisps:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

fryup wrote: »
    but we're all west brits when you think about it

i mean look around you most of us shop in British owned stores .i.e tescos, currys, pc world, argos etc etc

and lets not forget all the irish who...
    • watch british television
    • read british newspapers
    • support british football clubs
    and also eat walker crisps:pac:

live on "prince charles st" in D4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

+1
    Do you mean you've also been called a "west Brit" or that you agree Fratton Fred is a "west Brit" when people call him one? Fratton Fred, incidentally, is a Brit. There's no need for the "west".
    Well - David Norris -well he is a West Brit
    How? He's a protestant, has a posh accent... wow, shoot the bastard.
    as is John Bowman
    How? Cuz he's (presumably) protestant?
    Gay Byrne and Gerry Ryan too.Ed Byrne
    How, how and how?
    D'unbelieveables were never West Brit.
    Erm... they're not even real people. But I see where you're going now - a person who's maybe intellectual and not a big mucksavage ignoramus is more likely to fit into the "west Brit" category...
    But really - its what it is -not what you would like it to mean.
    Which are?
    Again, could you clarify how that makes him a west Brit?

Dudess wrote: »
    as is John Bowman How? Cuz he's (presumably) protestant?

nope he's a catholic...there is a thing as posh catholics you know:)

ps - not all prods are posh either

• Advertisement

Ah... wasn't ruling it out, just making an assumption - what with the name and all.

I love the way if you're a well spoken intellectual, you're a "west Brit". :rolleyes:

I love the way if you're a well spoken intellectual, you're a "west Brit". :rolleyes:

That's probably why there's no west brit's in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This whole thing about watching British TV and watching the Premiership makes you a West Brit is ludicrous - that is simply entertainment.

The term West Brit is used to describe many Dublin people - the reason being is the complete lack of interest in the 6 counties. If asked, a lot them do not even want a United Ireland for a number of reasons mainly financial. They view people from the North as "Northie B***ards" and from a completely different country.

For some reason - it must be a lack of education but most Dubs do not have a clue about Ireland, i mean ask them where is Sligo and they wouldnt have a clue, let alone places in their own city. There is a lot more passion about having a United Ireland in the "country" compared to Dublin hence the term "West Brit".

Warper wrote: »
    T

For some reason - it must be a lack of education but most Dubs do not have a clue about Ireland, i mean ask them where is Sligo and they wouldnt have a clue.

to be honest, why would they fecking care where Sligo is?

Our brains can only hold so much important informatiion you don't want to be filling it up with nonsense like directions to sligo...

who the f*ck cares.

i'll just add to that why does ones ignorance of their own country make them west brits? what has ignorance got to do with nationality?

This whole thing about watching British TV and watching the Premiership makes you a West Brit is ludicrous - that is simply entertainment.
    What about supporting Premiership football?
    The term West Brit is used to describe many Dublin people - the reason being is the complete lack of interest in the 6 counties. If asked, a lot them do not even want a United Ireland for a number of reasons mainly financial. They view people from the North as "Northie B***ards" and from a completely different country.
    But surely when the phrase contains the word "Brit" it implies there's some sort of allegiance to Britain in there... yet, being complacent about the North and even being opposed to a united Ireland for financial reasons still can mean **** all allegiance to Britain. Those same people might be just as complacent about Britain as they are about the North.
    For some reason - it must be a lack of education but most Dubs do not have a clue about Ireland, i mean ask them where is Sligo and they wouldnt have a clue, let alone places in their own city.
    Generalise much? On what do you base all of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ntlbell wrote: »

If you're going to make pointed remarks about intellect, you ought to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

enterainment from....? Anyone who ridiculed Colm and Jim Jim should be classed as a West Brit then!

Then we're all West Brits. Or whatever the **** you want to call us. I wouldn't say I don't care, though - I just have a different level of interest.
    For some reason - it must be a lack of education but most Dubs do not have a clue about Ireland, i mean ask them where is Sligo and they wouldnt have a clue, let alone places in their own city. There is a lot more passion about having a United Ireland in the "country" compared to Dublin hence the term "West Brit".

Lack of interest rather than lack of education, accepted. But like a lot of the current syllabus, people don't have (and haven't had) a lot of interest in traditional education for some time. And how many, exactly, have you actually asked?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

to be honest, why would they fecking care where Sligo is?

Our brains can only hold so much important informatiion you don't want to be filling it up with nonsense like directions to sligo...

who the f*ck cares.

i'll just add to that why does ones ignorance of their own country make them west brits? what has ignorance got to do with nationality?

Ah this thread makes me think it should be renamed to the 'Wasn't it great in 1750's Ireland' thread. I mean with all the parochialism, narrow-minded get off my patch attitude, 'ach sure the world was grand when we didn't have the wheel, didn't we get along just fine without it?'

'What have the Romans ever done for us?'

Riv

There is a lot more passion about having a United Ireland in the "country" compared to Dublin hence the term "West Brit".

are you kiddin me!!.....there's loads of mad republicans in dublin..look at all the sinn feiners that get voted in...not to mention Ding Dong Dinny O'Reilly

You've obviously never been to West Cork.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    If you're going to make pointed remarks about intellect, you ought to get it right.

Sorry English is my second language I'm Irish..;)

But surely when the phrase contains the word "Brit" it implies there's some sort of allegiance to Britain in there... yet, being complacent about the North and even being opposed to a united Ireland for financial reasons still can mean **** all allegiance to Britain. Those same people might be just as complacent about Britain as they are about the North.

Generalise much? On what do you base all of the above?

What about supporting Spanish football?

does it make you Spanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sorry English is my second language I'm Irish..;)

Zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

My definition of a dublin west brit.

a certain element living in dub ya know the 'Dort' (dub area rap trans) type (not always but usually) . well they would prefer to be like the posh sounding southern english folk rather than their parents/grand parents who more often than not came from 'down the country' (oh lord save us).
    sad really isnt it. ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Sorry English is my second language I'm Irish..
    Really?What language were you brought up speaking?

What language do you speak when out with your mates?

What language do you your work in?

I've been told in a pub on more than one ocassion not to applaud a 'brit' goal by some patriotic gobsh*te in a premiership shirt who has never set foot in a Irish football ground in his life. They have no idea how utterly pathetic they look.

I hate those *****, and as a moderate republican, they embarrass me.
    My definition of a dublin west brit.

a certain element living in dub ya know the 'Dort' (dub area rap trans) type (not always but usually) . well they would prefer to be like the posh sounding southern english folk rather than their parents/grand parents who more often than not came from 'down the country' (oh lord save us).
    sad really isnt it. ...?
    Again, no indication they've an allegiance to/love for Britain, hence the phrase "west Brit" is not necessarily relevant.
    What about supporting Spanish football?

does it make you Spanish?
    Well if you're a Basque and ETA supporter who wants the Basque region to be a separate state from the rest of Spain and you're constantly bitching and moaning about the bastard Spanish and you make derogatory remarks about any of your fellow Basques who don't hate the Spanish as much as you do... but you still enjoy Spanish football and support a Spanish team, I'd say that would make you... a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

stovelid wrote: »
    I've been told in a pub on more than one ocassion not to applaud a 'brit' goal by some patriotic gobsh*te in a premiership shirt who has never set foot in a Irish football ground in his life. They have no idea how utterly pathetic they look.

:eek:

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Well if you're a Basque and ETA supporter who wants to be separate from the rest of Spain and you're constantly bitching and moaning about the bastard Spanish and you make derogatory remarks about any of your fellow Basques who don't hate the Spanish as much as you do... but you still enjoy Spanish football and support a Spanish team, I'd say that would make you... a hypocrite.

lmao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

fryup wrote: »
    not to mention Ding Dong Dinny O'Reilly

That's not his real name is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement