Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

with the onset of the celtic tiger, ireland has become more....middle class, and sophisticated to the ways of the world

and hence more ...west british/proddy ... imo

its not all bad ....after all who wants to go back to the bally-go-backward days when we we're all ignorant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

fryup wrote: »
    with the onset of the celtic tiger, ireland has become more....middle class, and sophisticated to the ways of the world
    I do think there appears to be a correlation all right between Ireland getting wealthy and Irish people becoming complacent about the North.
    Ah... I don't think that stuff could be described as those things. Could be described as American, or French, or anywhere western and wealthy really...
    its not all bad ....after all who wants to go back to the bally-go-backward days when we we're all ignorant
    Some people on this thread pretend to be pining for those days clearly. Methinks they weren't around in/don't remember the 80s somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    I hate those *****, and as a moderate republican, they embarrass me.

Again, no indication they've an allegiance to/love for Britain, hence the phrase "west Brit" is not necessarily relevant.

Well if you're a Basque and ETA supporter who wants the Basque region to be a separate state from the rest of Spain and you're constantly bitching and moaning about the bastard Spanish and you make derogatory remarks about any of your fellow Basques who don't hate the Spanish as much as you do... but you still enjoy Spanish football and support a Spanish team, I'd say that would make you... a hypocrite.

what if you're not a moron and just follow spanish football?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sorry English is my second language I'm Irish..;)

Really? What's you mother tongue?

In terms of ability to speak it, Irish is my seventh. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it, it happened more throught practicallity than anything else.
    My definition of a dublin west brit.

a certain element living in dub ya know the 'Dort' (dub area rap trans) type (not always but usually) . well they would prefer to be like the posh sounding southern english folk rather than their parents/grand parents who more often than not came from 'down the country' (oh lord save us).
    sad really isnt it. ...?

Not as sad as the fact that this is something you really really want to believe than actually being in any way factual. "Would prefer to be like...." - any backup to this?

There was a thread recently asking if we could have eye-for-an-eye punishments legalised and practiced. Answer your question...?:D
    ntlbell wrote:

Assuming the follow it out of an interest and apprecaition, I would imagine they'd be allowed to watch their choice in peace. However, this is Ireland, ao I'll assume it's more likely someone's probably going to give out because they don't stand on delapidated terraces and watch amateur crap here. And slag them off for being "north-Sapniards" or something.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Some people on this thread pretend to be pining for those days clearly. Methinks they weren't around in/don't remember the 80s somehow...

I really wish people would stop using the 80's as a time when things were bad....

The 1840's were fecking bad not the 1980's.....the only thing bad about the 1980's were fashion and hair cuts

working in a chipper instead of sitting on your arse getting "appearance" money in some office is not a good example of good and bad times

omgz queue for jobz in abrakebabra is SOOO long the world is ending

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sound fine. The only time that would be moronic is if you spent your time dissing the Spanish and calling people pesudo-Spaniards as an insult.

Which was the orginal point as far I could see.
    I really wish people would stop using the 80's as a time when things were bad....

They were bad comparitively. Anybody can be redectionist about it. I mean they weren't as bad as the early 1940's in the Warsaw Ghetto either, or in a shanty town in apartheid South Afcrica.

What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

You may be onto something here. As people become more educated and gain a wider life experience that takes them beyond the parish boundaries, they quickly realise that the British are not all that different from themselves.

There is an attitude I think in Irish society that seems to adopt the attitude that, 'we're all miserable, poor, uneducated dolts and that's all the fault of the British.' If anyone gets up and challenges that paradigm they're treated as the enemy. They've been polluted and corrupted by said enemy.

If Ireland rejoined the UK in the morning it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, we have much the same legal system. Our core values are virtually identical, our laws are nearly identical.

At the same time if Ireland continues on the way it's going as a member of the EU etc I'm just as happy. The days of isolation of wee nation states is long gone.

Riv

ah yes the ireland of the 80s..i remember it well...potholes, moving statues, cj haughey, going to mass and then straight down to the pub effin & blinden singin rebel songs...those were the days:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Not as sad as the fact that this is something you really really want to believe than actually being in any way factual. "Would prefer to be like...." - any backup to this?

touche.

stovelid wrote: »
    Sound fine. The only time that would be moronic is if you spent your time dissing the Spanish and calling people pesudo-Spaniards as an insult.

Which was the orginal point as far I could see.

I think those people are becoming less common...

When I wer a lad the hatred for the English was vicious but it seems it's fading away now and as has been stated since we've become "rich" we have more going on in our lives than drinking and slagging off the english..

I can't remember the last time I heard some moron harping on about the british but 10 years ago I couldn't sit in a pub without hearing it...

it's definitely changing and another generation or two and I would imagine it will be pretty much wiped out

the internal hatred for each other is still as strong as ever tho..which is even more moronic...

• Advertisement

I think those people are becoming less common...

When I wer a lad the hatred for the English was vicious but it seems it's fading away now and as has been stated since we've become "rich" we have more going on in our lives than drinking and slagging off the english..

I can't remember the last time I heard some moron harping on about the british but 10 years ago I couldn't sit in a pub without hearing it...

it's definitely changing and another generation or two and I would imagine it will be pretty much wiped out

the internal hatred for each other is still as strong as ever tho..which is even more moronic...

It's becaue we're more intelligent and don't just swallow a preist's/teacher's/elderly realtive's word without thinking.

It's becaue we're more intelligent and don't just swallow a preist's/teacher's/elderly realtive's word without thinking.

I thought it was because we were busy drinking mocha choch'a browsing over our property portfolio to see which one will take equity from to buy a villa on the costa del sol so we can sip bubbly and snort a ton of coke...

could be the sudden increase in our fantastic education system tho...

I thought it was because we were busy drinking mocha choch'a browsing over our property portfolio to see which one will take equity from to buy a villa on the costa del sol so we can sip bubbly and snort a ton of coke...

Who in the hell are you talking about??

Nope, exactly the opposite. With education, you have no control over what you're being taught. With this thing you using called the internet, where people can actually look for information on both sides of an argument, rather than haveing to rely on what was being forced to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The events in the North since 1998 have helped us reach more of a Brit detente too.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Read some of the replies mostly from people who haven't a clue what they're talking about. "West Brit" is not a culchie expression. It simply means someone who apes upper-class British behaviour, and would have generally been applied to perceived Anglo-Irish types.

The term doesn't really have the same currency now as in the 80s, which is clearly evident, given that half of the plonkers on this thread don't even know what it means.

As for "jackeens" and "culchies", these words have nothing to do with "west brit", and are probably for another thread.

Who in the hell are you talking about??

Nope, exactly the opposite. With education, you have no control over what you're being taught. With this thing you using called the internet, where people can actually look for information on both sides of an argument, rather than haveing to rely on what was being forced to them.

oh right, people are using bebo to educate themselves on the finer details of irish history...

Sorry I'm talking about the few million who have been living in the richest country in europe for the last 8-10 years......big property boom...taxi drivers with multiple investment properties...you might of heard about it on this here interweb...

the likes of this genius here

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Doesnt the term Jackeen refer to the Dubs who hung union jacks out of their houses in 1916 to escape bombing by the brits.

I would have taken my chances...

Read some of the replies mostly from people who haven't a clue what they're talking about. "West Brit" is not a culchie expression. It simply means someone who apes upper-class British behaviour, and would have generally been applied to perceived Anglo-Irish types.

The term doesn't really have the same currency now as in the 80s, which is clearly evident, given that half of the plonkers on this thread don't even know what it means.
    Exactly. Not even relevant. As I said, the only people who get my goat are the sh1t-stirring likes of Conor Cruise-O'Brien, Kevin Myers and Eoghan Harris or any other Irish "unionists" who revel in pretending to be jingoistic about the Queen's boys etc and rant on about the glory of the "Great War" and all that bollocks. But I wouldn't call them "west Brits" because it's not insulting enough and it's not accurate seeing as there are millions of Brits who would also detest that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Doesnt the term Jackeen refer to the Dubs who hung union jacks out of their houses in 1916 to escape bombing by the brits.

I would have taken my chances...

Like hell you would have.

At the time the majority of people thought the revolution was a crime. It was the overreaction of the govt. that changed peoples minds regarding the rising.

Riv

anyway it's usually said with some tongue and cheek i don't see why people are getting to literal about it

if you don't live in/from dublin you're a f*cking backward culchie

if you ponce around grafton st talking like your moth is full of golf balls you're a west f*cking brit

it's a bit of banter it doesn't have to be analyzed, poked and prodded

• Advertisement

it's a bit of banter it doesn't have to be analyzed, poked and prodded

prodded!!!....why you sectarian bigot!!

;)

oh right, people are using bebo to educate themselves on the finer details of irish history...
    Are they? Where? Or did I mistype "internet" with "Bebo" *checks* - nope. Where the hell did you get THAT from?!!!
    Sorry I'm talking about the few million who have been living in the richest country in europe for the last 8-10 years......big property boom...taxi drivers with multiple investment properties...you might of heard about it on this here interweb...

the likes of this genius here

You linked to a guy asking about mortgages. He certainly never mentioned mochas or portfolios. Do non west-Brits not have mortgages...? Or is it having one some sort of treacherous sin all of a sudden?

Are they? Where? Or did I mistype "internet" with "Bebo" *checks* - nope. Where the hell did you get THAT from?!!!

I did indeed, but still didn't see a mocha-drinking portfolio-checking very often. Still, if you're more confrtable beleive it, go for it - just remember it's notactually acurate.

well i'm looking at the top 100 sites for traffic generated from ireland...

social networking for most of the top 5

so i can only come to the conclusion there's not much happening on the irish history front of internet users in ireland...

or maybe YOU have some proof of it that you would like to share with us?

so the sales of mocha's the amount of costa's starbucks etc flying up all over the place didn't catch your eye then....

the dinner parties of people discussing their property profolio's that you didn't get invited too...

right....

wake up...

Bizarrely, Conor Cruise O'Brien's death has just been announced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If your looking for an example of why Dubs and people form Leinster are called west-brits, look at the names of some of the 'irish' players who have played for Leinster in the past few years:

Leo
    Reggie (What the hell is that short for Reginald?)
    Gordan
    Malcom
    Guy
    Bernard Jackman (The mental imagine i have of a Bernard Jackman is a guy dressed in a suit with a top hat, sipping on a cup of tea, sitting next to a fireplace with his legs crossed)
    Girvan
    Victor
    etc

Give me Ronan, Paul and Peter anyday.

Hazys wrote: »
    If your looking for an example of why Dubs and people form Leinster are called west-brits, look at the names of some of the 'irish' players who have played for Leinster in the past few years:

Leo
    Gordan
    Malcom
    Guy
    Bernard Jackman (The mental imagine i have of a Bernard Jackman is a guy dressed in a suit with a top hat, sipping on a cup of tea, sitting next to a fireplace with his legs crossed)
    Girvan
    Victor
    etc

so with the classroom roll looking like a who's who of hollywood stars does this mean we're moving to fat americans?

britney
    brad
    etc etc

well i'm looking at the top 100 sites for traffic generated from ireland...

social networking for most of the top 5

so i can only come to the conclusion there's not much happening on the irish history front of internet users in ireland...

or maybe YOU have some proof of it that you would like to share with us?

so the sales of mocha's the amount of costa's starbucks etc flying up all over the place didn't catch your eye then....

the dinner parties of people discussing their property profolio's that you didn't get invited too...

right....

wake up...

There's your problem - you assume
    You ASSUME that no one uses the internet for anything other than Bebo.
    You ASSUME that anyone with a mrotgage also does nothing else but check portfolios and drink expensive coffees
    You ASSUME that because there are coffee shops EVERYONE in an entire city drinks there and does little else.
    You ASSUME something about dinner parties (don't understand the reference or why you're bringing it up, tbh).
    If you are correct, the average "West-Brit" is extremly wealthy, sophisticated, and spends all his time on Bebo.

So why the assumptions? Are you more comfortable believeing these than the fact the people might actually a little more self-aware and open-minded than in the past?

Hazys wrote: »

Leo
    Gordan
    Malcom
    Guy
    Girvan
    Victor
    What? You actually base your view of them as west Brits based on their names? Plus, I thought a "west Brit" was an Irish person... so why have you put "Irish" in quotes in relation to them?
    What's so Irish about Paul and Peter?

There's your problem - you assume
    You ASSUME that no one uses the internet for anything other than Bebo.
    You ASSUME that anyone with a mrotgage also does nothing else but check portfolios and drink expensive coffees
    You ASSUME that because there are coffee shops EVERYONE in an entire city drinks there and does little else.
    You ASSUME something about dinner parties (don't understand the reference or why you're bringing it up, tbh).
    If you are correct, the average "West-Brit" is extremly wealthy, sophisticated, and spends all his time on Bebo.

So why the assumptions? Are you more comfortable believeing these than the fact the people might actually a little more self-aware and open-minded than in the past?

I also assume people are intelligent enough to read a sweeping tongue and cheek generlisation and not take a hissy fit considering the forum they're in...

I'm wrong on a lot of fronts, this is just another one..

• Advertisement

I also assume people are intelligent enough to read a sweeping tongue and cheek generlisation and not take a hissy fit considering the forum they're in...

I'm wrong on a lot of fronts, this is just another one..

I go by what I see, not what an alleged elder tells me to see. And if I see ignorance, I disagree. And if I disagree I speak my mind.

The claim that your posts are tongue in cheek is pathetic bull****. Unless you want to confess to trolling....?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement