Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Dubliners west Brits

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Dudess wrote: »
    What? You actually base your view of them as west Brits based on their names? Plus, I thought a "west Brit" was an Irish person... so why have you put "Irish" in quotes in relation to them?

I think the whole term "West Brit" means the person is actually British not irish because they live in the Pale
    What's so Irish about Paul and Peter?

Sorry i should have probably picked Tomas and Donnacha instead if that would make you more happy. tbf Paul and Peter are more common names outside the pale than Reggie and Gordan are. Which are extremly british names btw for an 'irish' person to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, there's no need to pick other names to make me more happy. I simply asked "what is so Irish about those names?" because they're... not Irish.
    Hazys wrote: »
    I think the whole term "West Brit" means the person is actually British not irish because they live in the Pale
    Surely those days are long gone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I go by what I see, not what an alleged elder tells me to see. And if I see ignorance, I disagree. And if I disagree I speak my mind.

The claim that your posts are tongue in cheek is pathetic bull****. Unless you want to confess to trolling....?

uh oh, ye said troll...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Newsflash: The Pale no longer exists except within the imagination of zealous swampdonkeys and 'Ra knob-jockeys. It goes by the more modern appellation of Dublin these days.

Sorry i should have probably picked Tomas and Donnacha instead if that would make you more happy. tbf Paul and Peter are more common names outside the pale than Reggie and Gordan are. Which are extremly british names btw for an 'irish' person to have.

Paddy and seamus ffs...if you're going to do it do it right....

• Advertisement

No, there's no need to pick other names to make me more happy. I simply asked "what is so Irish about those names?" because they're... not Irish.

Well Peter is an apostles' name so its more of a religious connection. Paul nothing overly irish about that, but you have to admit Paul is a lot less fitting in the British higher society than Gordan and Reggie are.
    Surely those days are long gone...?

Calling some1 a West Brit is a joke, like calling some1 a culchie who is from outside Dublin. I presume you dont think all people from outside Dublin ride a cow to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well Peter is an apostles' name so its more of a religious connection. Paul nothing overly irish about that, but you have to admit Paul is a lot less fitting in the British higher society than Gordan and Reggie are.

Calling some1 a West Brit is a joke, like calling some1 a culchie who is from outside Dublin. I presume you dont think all people from outside Dublin ride a cow to work?
    Gordan is a Gaelic name and Reggie is a latin name.

And anyway it depends on who is calling someone a West Brit and for what reason. It's apparently ok for two black guys in parts of the states to call each other n*ggers, but if I said it to them it wouldn't go down too well.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Unless you want to confess to trolling....?
    It's likely. ntlbell has quite a history of that particular noble pursuit. And he has confessed to trolling before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ntlbell wrote: »
    Paddy and seamus ffs...if you're going to do it do it right....

I had my heart set on Mathghamhain Og O'Violence for my son, but the wife insisted on a pansy name in the opressor tongue instead.

It's likely. ntlbell has quite a history of that particular noble pursuit. And he has confessed to trolling before.

yes yes yes thanks for the weekly troll update dudess

You still haven't worked out the difference between someone not taken a non serious topic very seriously and a troll....focus please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I think a west brit is someone who thinks Irish history, customs, language etc. is backward and something to not be proud of. They see everything that comes from England as progressive and correct.
    While I can understand to an extent why some uneducated people think like that, it just annoys me that some people dont realise why its like that. If the Brits never came over here and wrecked the place for 800 years then there would be no such thing as a west brit.
    It is possible to enjoy foreign sport, food etc. but take some pride in your own country at the same time.

stovelid wrote: »
    I had my heart set on Mathghamhain Og O'Violence for my son, but the wife insisted on a pansy name in the opressor tongue instead.

I met an american woman in a pub recently she was looking for an irish name that people couldn't shorten...so they chose "David"

When i asked how "Dave" was..she was bemused...

Great story I know, I'm here all xmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so would the irish in the uk be called....east paddys??

yes yes yes thanks for the weekly troll update dudess

You still haven't worked out the difference between someone not taken a non serious topic very seriously and a troll....focus please.
    Anyone who thinks ntlbell is a troll, please thank this post.

Anyone who thinks ntlbell is a troll, please thank this post.

look,

You said....

celtiger has had an impact on it you were not trolling..

I said exactly the same thing now I'm trolling.

Cop on to yourself lioke..

fryup wrote: »
    so would the irish in the uk be called....east paddys??

i thought they were called plastic paddys?

humanji wrote: »
    Gordan is a Gaelic name and Reggie is a latin name.

And anyway it depends on who is calling someone a West Brit and for what reason. It's apparently ok for two black guys in parts of the states to call each other n*ggers, but if I said it to them it wouldn't go down too well.

You cant seriously be comparing calling some a West Brit to calling some a N***er.

West Brit=A tongue in cheek term calling for calling an Irish person british

N***ger= Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people

West brit is used as a joke like culchie is. Nothing more serious than that.

N***ger= Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people

I thought it was just used to socially acknowledge your fellow home boys..

I thought it was just used to socially acknowledge your fellow home boys..

No ur confusing it with West Brit. Apparently there is a bunch of homies rolling around D4 hollerin' "wat up West Brit?" at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Where are you from - West Brit is an intentional perjorative term for a person mainly from Dublin who is a pseudo Brit.

Its not a joke -its real.

• Advertisement

No ur confusing it with West Brit. Apparently there is a bunch of homies rolling around D4 hollerin' "wat up West Brit?" at each other.

sup dawg smokin....dubes

see what i did there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holyshow

If a West Brit is someone who speaks in a "posh" or British accent and has tons of cash, god help the likes of Markiewic and Oscar Wilde. Or Shane MacGowan and the like.

Also if anyone would like to hop on a bus (no. 2 or 3) heading out of town and jump off after the second bridge after Pearse St, there's loads of lovely D4 people dying for you to call them West Brits.

CDfm, what exactly is a pseudo Brit? You haven't explained thus far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Hazys, you do not know what you're talking about. You have no idea what a real West Brit is. See Dudess's and The Minstrel's post for an accurate definition.

I just looked up the Leinster rugby team and then also looked the 'non-irish' players up on wikipedia and given where Leo, Reggie, Gordan, Malcolm, Bernard, Girvan and Victor (Costello?) went to school (all Catholic schools) I would say calling them 'west Brits' is entirely unfounded. I also note that you failed to post their surnames, most of which are very 'Irish' like Dempsey, O'Kelly, D'arcy and Cullen. And Guy Easterby is actually half-British by the way.

CDfm wrote: »
    Where are you from - West Brit is an intentional perjorative term for a person mainly from Dublin who is a pseudo Brit.

Not on the northside it's not real...we're keepin it real...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Damn culchies, this thread needs more union jack waving.

I'd vote for brown over biffo

and have the queen over mcleese(but thats enough about my fantasies):eek:

You cant seriously be comparing calling some a West Brit to calling some a N***er.

West Brit=A tongue in cheek term calling for calling an Irish person british

I agree with you, you cant even start comparing that N-word to west brit or culchie which are both terms of enderment to our fellow countrymen.

Does anyone even really use these as an insult anymore if some bally back water fellow tried to insult me by calling me a west brit i'd be laughing to hard to reply.

And what exactly is a pseudo Brit? You haven't explained thus far...

One who pretends to be all british?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

in a nutshell....

to me a west-brit is....

An irish person with a british background/ancestry.

CDfm wrote: »

Just read on RTE.ie that 2 culchies were shot in D4 last night for saying 'West Brit" to the wrong homie.

Not to mention all the "West Brit" on "West Brit" violence we see very day. When will the madness end...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

fryup wrote: »
    in a nutshell....

to me a west-brit is....

An irish person with a british background/ancestry.

but how far back do you go? so if my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was British, does that make me a West Brit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement