Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Moate-where to live

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey peeps,

Hopefully transferring to a job in Moate in the new year. Just from looking at Daft.ie there's not much choice for house sharing or anything so I'm thinking of living in Athlone, is this logical enough? More choice of places to stay there, seems to be a few things happening, livelier, has the IT etc. (single lad in his mid 20s moving from Dublin and before that Cork city here).

Day dreaming I'd love to rent a place to myself (like Tyrrelspass for some reason-seeing a house in the Crescent there got me thinking) but think a room's more viable (and less lonely which has to be a consideration).

What's getting out of Athlone in the morning to get to work going to be like?Any areas I should avoid and what's Athlone (expand it to the midlands around Moate if you want) like as a place to live in general? Is there any places I should consider outside Athlone?

Any ideas, guidance, experiences etc welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

houses rent in moate for about 600-800 a month depending on the size. ard grainne seems a nice estate. if you decide on athlone you'll be in moate in 10-15 mins either on the motorway or the old n6. so no major bother.

moate's ok to live in. but then again i am a local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

I'm not from Westmeath but I live in Moate and work in Athlone. I also lived in Athlone for several years.

Moate is a quiet, pleasant, small town with enough services for your needs. The M6 and old N6 provide easy access to/from Athlone which is about 10 miles away. There are several recently built housing estates with some rental available, although not all listed online. My guess is that rental would be cheaper than Athlone, but not by much.

For someone in your situation, you may prefer Athlone for the greater choice of night life, places to live etc. I would NOT advise you to live in the immediate vicinity of the AIT or the west (of Shannon) side of town. If you live in central Athlone you'll have everything on your doorstep but rents will be a bit higher and driving is a bit slower - nothing compared to Dublin, Cork however.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

I can rule out getting a place to myself anywhere and was all set on Athlone until someone said Tullamore was best. Why did they do that to me?? Any insights welcome. I know I should prob post this in the Offaly section too, but sure come on, the Midlands is the Midlands, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i'd really need to know your age

20's: athlone or tullamore
    30's: moate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Holy cow. I didn't know that many boardsies live in moate! :eek:

Where are you all hiding! :D

OP: Yeah, I'd say it'd be better living in Athlone actually. You've better facilities, better access to decent shopping and entertainment, and better nightlife.

• Advertisement
Advertisement