Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5.1 Surround & PS3

• 17-12-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I can see there's another post about the PS3 but I'm not sure if it answered my particular question so...

I've a PS3 and a Sony Bravia HD ready, and I want to hook up a 5.1 surround sound system to them. Could anyone answer the following questions if ye can:
    • Can I have the 5.1 hooked up to the TV and the PS3 at the same time?
    • What connectors would I need to hook up the system through the PS3, Optical or HDMI (or would both work?)?
    • Anything else of interest about that particular set up that I should know?

Thankee folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

what 5.1 system have you got. it depends on that really.

also, when you say you want to hook the TV up to it, do you mean for TV stations?? if so, how do you receive the channels? ntl digital, sky etc

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I've no system as of yet: I'm still trying to decide what one would work!

I've an NTL box which comes in through cable and if I could I'd like ot hook up those channels to the cinema, but that's not essential. The main thing is guaranteed compatibility with the PS3, basically I don't know what plugs I'd be using!

Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Scráib wrote: »
    • Can I have the 5.1 hooked up to the TV and the PS3 at the same time?
    • What connectors would I need to hook up the system through the PS3, Optical or HDMI (or would both work?)?
    • Anything else of interest about that particular set up that I should know?
    1) 5.1 is audio, tv is video.
    2) do you want HD audio _and_ video?
    3) yes, lots.

Lets start with the basics. What is your budget?

You can google AVRecievers to see how they connect sources (like DVD/CD/PS3) to speakers and displays (TV).

Look at the Onkyo 606 to see what kind of features these things can do. It will play the audio track through speakers and route the video to the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

do you want to keep to a home cinema system all-in-one type job or separates?

as for all in ones, get one with an optical input and you'll be sorted. using an optical cable from the ps3 to the cinema system will get the audio through the 5.1 speakers. then if you find one with 2 optical inputs you ca connect the ntl box up as well. although you dont necessarily have to use optical for the ntl box.

then for the dvd part of the cinema system you connect it with hdmi to your tv.

http://www.sony.ie/product/hcs-surround-kit---dvd-player/dav-dz660

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Lets start with the basics. What is your budget?

My buget is, luckily, quite high. At the absolute outside I'll spend 550 euro.
    do you want HD audio _and_ video?
    That bit is confusing me a little but yeah if possible I want HD audio (which I was never sure existed until just there, I thought HD appled to the visual side of things only, d'oh!)

From what I gather an optical input is the way to go to get actual 5.1 sound instead of simply stereo and to get HD 5.1 sound I'll need to use the HDMI to the reciever and then onto the TV. Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭shredmaster777

I got myself a Yamaha DSP-AX763 and JAMO A102 HCS5 for 530 pounds last week. Best combo you can get for around 560 Euro. Look them up on the internet and you will find great reviews and users' opinions of both.
    Got my PS3 and NTL hooked up to it and I couldn't be happier.

Advertisement