Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party that has no more purpose

Options
  • 18-12-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Have the greens sold their souls for too cheap a price?

This is exactly what the green purport not to be.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1217/cie.html
    CIÉ is to increase fares, reduce the frequency of its services, and withdraw some routes altogether, after sustaining massive losses.

Bye Bye Gormley.

(Also in Green Issues)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Being in power was always going to be the death of them.
    Tara, incinerators........ every issue they were grand standing on while in opposition will undo them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dresden8 wrote: »
    Have the greens sold their souls for too cheap a price?

This is exactly what the green purport not to be.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1217/cie.html

Bye Bye Gormley.

(Also in Green Issues)

As you repeat the post, I will repeat the reply I gave:

dresden8, your vote is your own, to use wisely or foolishly as you choose..

But it is at least unfair, and I think it is dishonest, to fix this thing on John Gormley when Noel Dempsey is the Minister in the area, and it is Noel Dempsey who is mentioned in the report you cite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

As you repeat the post, I will repeat the reply I gave:

dresden8, your vote is your own, to use wisely or foolishly as you choose..

But it is at least unfair, and I think it is dishonest, to fix this thing on John Gormley when Noel Dempsey is the Minister in the area, and it is Noel Dempsey who is mentioned in the report you cite.

And I will also repeat, they seem to be presiding over the death of collective cabinet responsibility.

They cling to, and prop up FF. They cannot walk away from the decisions of their coalition partner and say "Nothing to do with me, I was out that day".

The same way FF can not walk away from health and blame the PD's.

They're all in it together. They are the Government.

If they don't stand for public transport, what the hell do they stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A country that won't be bankrupt in a year or two?

Facetiousness aside, where would you get the money to continue funding CIE at the present rate? Is funding CIE at the present rate for the services they currently provide the right thing to be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

The fares on CIE are ridiculous. If you take the train service as an example ... to go anywhere in the country by train is insanely expensive. When you couple those fares with a totally inadequate frequency of scheduled journeys the train is just a very expensive waste of time.

The buses are not much better, although their fares are lower. You wouldn't want to be in a hurry anywhere though. Bus Eireann, guaranteed to take the scenic route between A and B .... Wesport to Dublin via Sligo and Donegal anyone? :D

If I had my way I'd make the govt. travel by bus and train everywhere ... see if they can make that meeting in Letterkenny at 2.00pm from Dublin by train and bus. When was the last time Harney had to catch a 66A into Dublin from Lucan? That would certainly save a few quid.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Time to privatise CIE.

Infact it's time to privatise the whole government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They cling to, and prop up FF. They cannot walk away from the decisions of their coalition partner and say "Nothing to do with me, I was out that day".

The same way FF can not walk away from health and blame the PD's.

They're all in it together. They are the Government.

They stand for low energy lightbulbs and bicycles :D
    The twin pillars of their contribution to governmnet policy :rolleyes:
    RiverWilde wrote: »
    If I had my way I'd make the govt. travel by bus and train everywhere ... see if they can make that meeting in Letterkenny at 2.00pm from Dublin by train and bus. When was the last time Harney had to catch a 66A into Dublin from Lucan? That would certainly save a few quid.

Riv

Harney doesn't do buses or trains, she just flies courtersy of us :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Time to privatise CIE.

...which will result in higher fares and curtailing of services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

exactly what happened with the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

jmayo wrote: »
    They stand for low energy lightbulbs and bicycles :D

Not at all....didn't they save me 6 grand and 450 a year on me new Beemer...:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Nodin wrote: »
    ...which will result in higher fares and curtailing of services.

Is this not happening anyway?
    The problem with the Greens is, the principals have abandoned their principles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

jmayo wrote: »
    Harney doesn't do buses or trains, she just flies courtersy of us :rolleyes:

Harney should do Loreal ads - coz she's worth it! :eek: I bet she'd love it. She could do the whole hair flick thing etc etc.

Riv

Advertisement