Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Wind and the Magnetosphere

Options
  • 18-12-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,504 ✭✭✭✭

http://gizmodo.com/5112096/huge-hole-found-on-earths-magnetic-field-run-around-in-panic-now

magnetichole2.jpg
    NASA's Themis, a satellite flotilla studying geomagnetic disturbances, have discovered a large hole on Earth's magnetic field, which protects us against solar particles, which can cause severe disturbances in power grids, computers, and communication. Updated.
    What we observed was the breach in the levee. This has taken us completely by surprise. The opening was huge - four times wider than Earth itself, this kind of influx is an order of magnitude greater than what we thought was possible.
    That's what Jimmy Raeder, a University of New Hampshire physicist says, but but don't fret, dear readers, because according to Marit Oieroset—Professor of the University of California at Berkeley— even while "it was growing rather fast" the hole only lasted for an hour. During that time, the amount of solar wind getting into the Earth's surface was twenty times higher than usual.
    solar_winds_171208_2.jpgThe news here is that while scientists thought that the solar breach happened when the Earth's and the sun magnetic fields were in opposite directions, the data gathered from Themis has found exactly the opposite. In other words: These people really don't have a clue! RUN TO THE SHELTERS NOW!

This got me into thinking: If this Mayan Event happens on December 21, 2012, and the polar shift occurs - what effect might this have on the magnetosphere and its ability to repel solar wind? What are the side effects of increased solar wind exposure? What are the effects of direct solar wind exposure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

I've been thinking alot about this recently,I hope Lidl start doing those underground bunkers soon.I guess if the magnetosphere is weakened by solar wind bombardment then it might allow some cosmic rays to old el paso and join the party?

And another question if I may,What's the story with the magnetic pole reversal thing?I know it happens but what effect does it have on all of us animals?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Overheal wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/5112096/huge-hole-found-on-earths-magnetic-field-run-around-in-panic-now

magnetichole2.jpg

This got me into thinking: If this Mayan Event happens on December 21, 2012, and the polar shift occurs - what effect might this have on the magnetosphere and its ability to repel solar wind? What are the side effects of increased solar wind exposure? What are the effects of direct solar wind exposure?

Since it is generally acepted that a full polar shift would take 5000+ years or more to fully complete, it is unlikely.

A weaker gravatational field is obviously allows more solar radiation through, but the atmosphere is actually a much more important filter for solar radiation.

Apparently 40,000 years ago, the magnetic field was in the order of 20 percent to 30 percent of what it is now and there were no disasterous effects.

Also there there is no evidence that there were any mass extinctions to life the last time there was a polar shift about 800,000 years ago.

Advertisement