Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Entitled to Tax Back?...Going back to college?

• 18-12-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I'll be going back to college to do a Masters in January. I've been working fulltime for the last 6 years since finishing my degree. Am I entitled to tax back does anyone know? (By the way I'll be studying in the States...if that makes a difference?)

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Submit form p50 from revenue.ie with your P45, and ask for P21 balancing statements for the last 4 years and you should get some refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

eth0_ wrote: »
    Submit form p50 from revenue.ie with your P45, and ask for P21 balancing statements for the last 4 years and you should get some refunded.

I'll try that, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    As the title says, I'll be going back to college to do a Masters in January. I've been working fulltime for the last 6 years since finishing my degree. Am I entitled to tax back does anyone know? (By the way I'll be studying in the States...if that makes a difference?)

cheers

If tax is deducted correctly by the employer i.e the employer works on the correct details issued out to them by Revenue then nobody should overpay tax. However it does happen that too much tax may have been deducted especially if you change from one job to another.
    In saying this, it is no harm to contact revenue and request a review for the previous four years and also to claim any tax credits that may be due to you i.e rent credit, Trade union credit etc.

In relation to you going abroad to study, it depends on when you are going i.e will it be mid year, end of year or at the beginning of the year? If you are working up until you go i.e you leave in June of this year then depending on your income and how much credits you have used, you maybe entitled to some of the tax you paid back. As a previous poster said, you have to submit a P50 form to revenue accompanied with your p45 which you receive from your employer. This must not be submitted sooner than 4 weeks after you cease employment otherwise revenue will return it to you. Each claim you submit then will need to be done on a 4 week basis. Revenue will issue out a form for you to fill in every four weeks in order for you to receive you tax back until the year is up or until the amount of tax you are due back is paid in full.

As regards U.S, if you are working over there and making an income then technically you are suppose to inform revenue especially if you have also worked in ireland within the same year and are looking for a review done then for the year, as a review is a balancing statement of your Total income whether in ireland or abroad - i posted this just to make you aware of it.

Any questions, fire ahead! :)

Advertisement