Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason theres so few vegetarians

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I was chatting to my friend yesterday about this (both vegetarians) and we came to the conclusion that we believe the MAIN reason why the vast majority of people are meat-eaters is because they don't think, nor do they have to think (because of factory farming/marketing/etc of meat). I'm only vegetarian 3 years now and this was definitely the reason why I ate meat for so long.

Before that I was wandering into KFC, enjoying a bucket of chicken/etc and the thought never even entered my mind how this chicken died, if it was cruelly treated, etc. Same idea regarding health issues, (this might be a controversial opinion, but statistically vegetarians don't get certain types of cancer and other illnesses as much).

Then one day I started to question things, and after finding out as much info as possible at the time I made the decision and have never looked back.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Edit - I have full respect for the people who know exactly how animals are treated, how they die, the risks involved in eating meat, etc and still make the conscious decision to eat meat. It's the ones who don't think I'm talking about here.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It was the ame for me as a child. Why question what the yum food your parents giving you is? When I thought about what it was and could cook for myself I changed my diet.
    Most of my secondary friends are veggie now, as is my sister. I'm only to blame for a few. ;-)

I agree some don't think about it and some do. Some are bothered, some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Yeah I'd say for a lot of people it's because it's the default choice. I'd say a fair percentage of meat eaters would turn veggie if they actually thought about where their food came from and researched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this issue recently, but I've decided to remain a meat-eater. Animal welfare and cruelty would be my main reason to turn vegetarian, but I just feel the problem of cruelty etc is just too big for me to stop by going veggie.

Just reading the thread about all of the various products that contain meat was eye-opening - it seems like their are animal products in almost everything!

If I were to stop eating meat, I still think that I'd be causing harm to animals with the rest of my lifestyle.

Instead, I try to keep myself as well-informed as possible about the law on animal welfare and the policies of KFC/McDonalds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

At least you thought about it. Most people don't. My view however would be that while I don't help much by being veggie, I am not contributing to it as much as I would be if I was eating meat.

I also find that as a veggie, people often ask why, if they do I will tell them, hopefully making them more aware of their own choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this issue recently, but I've decided to remain a meat-eater. Animal welfare and cruelty would be my main reason to turn vegetarian, but I just feel the problem of cruelty etc is just too big for me to stop by going veggie.

If everyone thought like that, there's zero chance of the cruelty ever ending. Fair play to you for considering the welfare of the animals you are eating. Bt you alone stopping eating meat wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, at least you would be standing up for something you believe in. There's far too many people around without an ounce of courage in them (not directed at you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Bt you alone stopping eating meat wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, at least you would be standing up for something you believe in.

I agree here. But at least you are well informed and make the educated choice. I hope that includes eating free-range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm not a veggie, but have been considering giving up meat quite a bit recently. I make sure to only buy free range/organic/humane products, and have always felt a pang of guilt whenever I eat meat, especially off the bone. (at least if you're eating a nondescript lump of meat, it's hard to imagine it being alive...)

The only thing stopping me is the pure convenience of meat... I find it hard enough to plan out my meals as it is, but if you took meat out of the equation I'd be totally lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

tman wrote: »
    The only thing stopping me is the pure convenience of meat... I find it hard enough to plan out my meals as it is, but if you took meat out of the equation I'd be totally lost.

Have you tried replacing meat with fake meats like Quorn? It might sound horrible but a lot of them are quite nice.

yes, meat subsitutes are awfully easy to prepare. Check out http://www.quorn.co.uk/CMSPage.aspx?ssbid=2 and http://www.frys-special.com/Prod_Select.asp There is a Tesco range and a Dunnes range which are easily obtainable also.

But with a little thought, cooking a meal will be easy. In fact, you will enjoy it! Go on, give it a shot. And come bak to us if you need meal ideas or advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say for a lot of people it's because it's the default choice. I'd say a fair percentage of meat eaters would turn veggie if they actually thought about where their food came from and researched it.
    Eh... I love meat. I don't really care how the meat is treated before it becomes meat. I prefer the meat to eat grass, as it tastes nicer when it appears on my plate, but meh. I could live off meat, but I prefer a mix of meat, veg, and dairy products. I couldn't live off veg.

I'd say many people have an idea on how the animals are treated, but put it in the back of their minds when eating it, as it's easier to stay healthy by having a healthy mix of meat and veg, as opposed to a lot of veg.

I am aware, that if I were to only eat veg, I'd have to eat a larger range of veg, to keep healthy. But I see it easier to eat meat and some veg to stay healthy, than to eat a large amount of veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I'd say a fair percentage of meat eaters would turn veggie if they actually thought about where their food came from and researched it.

I'd say a fair percentage of meat eaters would completely disagree with the sentiment of the veggies in this here thread.

I know where my food came from. I know how animals are slaughtered. I know it's horrific and in-humane. But dear god, it tastes good... and is good for you (mostly).

Quorn and other fake meats have their qualities, but aren't actually as tastey as the meat itself. You can go 'round in circles about the rights of animals etc. but in reality this is the way the world works, and it's always worked this way.

The suggestion that because I eat meat means I don't "think" is absurd. It's worth pointing out that my girlfriend is a veggie, so I know how "the other side" lives (or eats).

Maybe there'd be more vegetarians if the vegetarians out there didn't make statements about meat-eaters not "thinking" or being "ignorant" and trying to push vegetarianism onto others. I've nothing against veggies. I could easily survive on the veggie stuff my girlfriend cooks all the time. Most of it is tastier then the crap I have most of the time anyway. But you'll never beat a well-cooked chicken or beef-based meal.. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If we where not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of food.
    Seriously though, it doesnt bother me where it comes from. I'd still eat it anyways. Had me some feed of sausages when everyone was throwing them out a few weeks ago. Feck it sure tis only a bit of mad stuff in the meat. Still tasted the same.
    I wouldnt be a big meat eater or a veggie eater. I only eat spuds and sausages or eggs and chips. Thats basically my full diet. Apart from when I treat meself to a pizza. No wonder Im so unhealthy.

Quorn and other fake meats have their qualities, but aren't actually as tastey as the meat itself.
    They were only suggested because it can be a good start for someone who wants to be veggie but is not the best cook. It can help the transition. I know that some people haven't a notion when it comes to cooking anything but meat and two veg.
    and is good for you (mostly)
    eh. have a read of
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367439
    The suggestion that because I eat meat means I don't "think" is absurd
    ...read the first post again
    why the vast majority of people are meat-eaters is because they don't think
    Not aimed at everyone. So presume you aren't included in this sub category. Clearly you've thought about it.
    Happy to eat your cat/kitten/dog/puppy are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

yes, meat subsitutes are awfully easy to prepare. Check out http://www.quorn.co.uk/CMSPage.aspx?ssbid=2 and http://www.frys-special.com/Prod_Select.asp There is a Tesco range and a Dunnes range which are easily obtainable also.

But with a little thought, cooking a meal will be easy. In fact, you will enjoy it! Go on, give it a shot. And come bak to us if you need meal ideas or advice!

where can yuo buy that frys stuff? and thanks for the quorn recipe link - some great lookin stuff there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

seanybiker wrote: »
    Seriously though, it doesnt bother me where it comes from. I'd still eat it anyways. Had me some feed of sausages when everyone was throwing them out a few weeks ago. Feck it sure tis only a bit of mad stuff in the meat. Still tasted the same.
    I wouldnt be a big meat eater or a veggie eater. I only eat spuds and sausages or eggs and chips. Thats basically my full diet. Apart from when I treat meself to a pizza. No wonder Im so unhealthy.

wow - what do you weigh??

but in reality this is the way the world works, and it's always worked this way.

This is completely false. For a start, elephants, gorillas, giraffes, rhinos, etc are all vegetarian and survive just fine. Our species only started eating meat when fire was discovered. We would get very sick or else die if we regularly ate raw meat. This point was covered very well by a previous poster:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57676632&postcount=40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

in reality this is the way the world works, and it's always worked this way.
    This argument always irks me. I fail to see why, just because something has been done throughout history, it is valid and should be continued. History is full of customs which were perfectly acceptable at the time but would be considered barbaric by modern standards.
    Maybe there'd be more vegetarians if the vegetarians out there didn't make statements about meat-eaters not "thinking" or being "ignorant" and trying to push vegetarianism onto others.
    Errr... how is anyone here trying to push vegetarianism on others? This is the vegetarian forum... just about everyone who posts here would already be vegetarian/vegan or at least considering it. It's not like this topic was posted in AH or something.
    If anything, you're the one attempting to "push" your views upon people.

who007 wrote: »
    where can yuo buy that frys stuff? and thanks for the quorn recipe link - some great lookin stuff there!

I've seen a good range in Nourish on Wicklow St (Dublin City Centre) or the Health Store some times have the odd product (see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58284595&postcount=3 for list of stores). Not sure where you are but they are Dublin places. If Galway city, the Evergreen beside Tesco has a big range. Otherwise your local healthfood store (preferably with a freezer compartment) should be able to order them in for you.

Inglorious wrote: »
    Errr... how is anyone here trying to push vegetarianism on others? This is the vegetarian forum... just about everyone who posts here would already be vegetarian/vegan or at least considering it. It's not like this topic was posted in AH or something.
    If anything, you're the one attempting to "push" your views upon people.

Exactly! You've said it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

This is completely false. For a start, elephants, gorillas, giraffes, rhinos, etc are all vegetarian and survive just fine. Our species only started eating meat when fire was discovered.

Point taken, but I'm a human, and have been raised to eat meat my entire life. I don't JUST eat meat, but it would remain a huge portion of my diet.
    We would get very sick or else die if we regularly ate raw meat.

If it's prepared right you can eat raw meat... just ask Japanese people. I have had raw chicken and raw ham from a Japanese restaurant before. Disgusting, but I'm still alive.... but sure that's beside the point.
    Inglorious wrote: »
    This argument always irks me. I fail to see why, just because something has been done throughout history, it is valid and should be continued. History is full of customs which were perfectly acceptable at the time but would be considered barbaric by modern standards.

Are you saying that eating meat is barbaric? I don't necessarily agree with the article, but read this. A quick google search will bring up more similar ideas that walk all over vegetarianism (not as a diet, but as a conscious decision to not eat animals for the sake of their rights)...

This line had me in stitches...

You're missing out on some amazing foods mate. Not just the meat stuff, even veggie stuff needs some exploration. Veggie stir-fry is to die for. Make it meaty with some chopped up chicken breast... mmmm

• Advertisement

If it's prepared right you can eat raw meat...

:rolleyes:

more similar ideas that walk all over vegetarianism
    That article did no such thing, you cannot compare the once-off killing of animals in their natural habitat to the on-going torture that is factory farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Are you saying that eating meat is barbaric? I don't necessarily agree with the article, but read this. A quick google search will bring up more similar ideas that walk all over vegetarianism (not as a diet, but as a conscious decision to not eat animals for the sake of their rights)...

That link is complete nonsense for too many reasons to go into....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

people eat meat because it's tasty (and made of food, as was already pointed out).

i know where my food comes from, how it lived and how it died (i watch all the documentaries on that kind of thing) and make point of not eating anything i wouldn't be willing to kill myself. i feel that if you're willing to eat an animal you should be willing to kill it and (having grown up in the country) I have killed chickens and rabbits in the past that i've eaten and whilst I've never killed a pig or a cow i've no doubt in my mind that I could if necessary.

animals are tasty and i'll continue to enjoy eating them as long as i live. can't imagine a life without meat, it's just not natural. every time i see any kind of vegetarian dish i can't help but think it would taste better with meat in it.

i like the name 'meatatarian'. :D

if i was at a bbq the only non-meat that would be eaten would be a burger bun and maybe some onions. meat is just far too tasty not to eat it. if god hadn't meant us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    can't imagine a life without meat, it's just not natural.

I could argue the opposite, it's not natural for humans to consume meat. Reasons behind this argument: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57676632&postcount=40 If you are going to make a statement like vegetarianism is not natural, at least back it up with a point.
    i like the name 'meatatarian'. :D
    Aren't ya great. The correct term is omnivore.
    if i was at a bbq the only non-meat that would be eaten would be a burger bun and maybe some onions.

Yeah because all we eat are meat-dishes without the meat :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

vibe666 wrote: »
    i know where my food comes from, how it lived and how it died (i watch all the documentaries on that kind of thing) and make point of not eating anything i wouldn't be willing to kill myself. i feel that if you're willing to eat an animal you should be willing to kill it and (having grown up in the country) I have killed chickens and rabbits in the past that i've eaten and whilst I've never killed a pig or a cow i've no doubt in my mind that I could if necessary.
    It isn't just about how the animal is killed but also the living conditions of the animal before it's killed.

You really think that watching a documentary on TV gives you complete knowledge and understanding of the specific conditions under which those Tesco chicken fillets were produced?

From what I can see here, the reasons people give for eating meat are
    a) they like it and
    b) it's edible (ie it's food)

Fair enough - but then we move onto the questions of animal welfare and, if you want to look at it from a selfish point of view, quality. Not to mention sustainability and other environmental factors.

As it stands, consumers aren't required to ask these questions and so they don't. Until such time as consumer are forced to be fully aware of where their meat and fish comes from and the true costs (social, environmental etc) are internalised in the price, the status quo will continue. Meat is far too cheap and those who don't eat meat essentially subsidise meat eaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

:rolleyes:

That article did no such thing, you cannot compare the once-off killing of animals in their natural habitat to the on-going torture that is factory farming.

oh rolleyes, so many uses. The same rolleyes could be applied to veg, potatoes are poisonous when raw for example. They have to be prepared correctly, just like the raw meat example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

potatoes are poisonous when raw for example. They have to be prepared correctly, just like the raw meat example.

What are you talking about? Plenty of people eat potato raw. In China it's quite common, and there are a fair few salad recipes that have raw potato as an ingredient.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It can contain toxicity. It is most not int he potato itself, moreso the plant. However exposure to light, damage, age can cause more toxicity in a potato. They will go green in areas of high toxicity. You have to cook over 170/80 degrees or something to partly destroy the 'badness' so boiled potatoes are the same as raw healthwise I think. Yes, a lot of poeple eat them raw, and in huge amounts. I think you can go into comas and die from the substance in potato/tomato/tobacco etc plants. But well, how many potatoes would you need to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I was chatting to my friend yesterday about this (both vegetarians) and we came to the conclusion that we believe the MAIN reason why the vast majority of people are meat-eaters is because they don't think, nor do they have to think (because of factory farming/marketing/etc of meat). I'm only vegetarian 3 years now and this was definitely the reason why I ate meat for so long.

Before that I was wandering into KFC, enjoying a bucket of chicken/etc and the thought never even entered my mind how this chicken died, if it was cruelly treated, etc. Same idea regarding health issues, (this might be a controversial opinion, but statistically vegetarians don't get certain types of cancer and other illnesses as much).

Then one day I started to question things, and after finding out as much info as possible at the time I made the decision and have never looked back.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Edit - I have full respect for the people who know exactly how animals are treated, how they die, the risks involved in eating meat, etc and still make the conscious decision to eat meat. It's the ones who don't think I'm talking about here.

I don't think this is a very good way of thinking. Sure it's easy to imagine that your social sub-group is intellectualy superior and extra individual with respect to everyone else, but it's a bit silly to do so, and childish.

I think the reason many people are "ignorant" of how meat is prepared , etc, is that they don't care, they don't care enough to find out. If they did find out, they wouldn't care. And I don't think vegetarianism is really compatible with the consumerism and nihilism which are fashionable today. And since many vegetarians see themselves as fancy freethinkers of those categories, perhaps it is they who do not do enough thinking.

Even those who have considered every possibility, and every idea about vegetarianisme, I don't think they think more than regular people, they just think about different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Do "vegetarians" who have concern for cruelty to animals also decline from purchasing products containing leather?

Advertisement