Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Lights at the Court House/Town Hall Theatre

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice that the traffic lights at the Court House/Town Hall Theatre are sequenced so that the pedestrian crossing always gets a turn after the lights for traffic coming from Saint Francis Street (Eglington Street) go to red? This always happens even if there is no pedestrian in sight and the button has not been pressed.

Totally crazy that traffic going in both directions on Saint Vincent's Avenue gets stopped for an unnecessary additional 40 seconds when there is no pedestrian crossing the road.

Don't see any logic for it at all.

Comments

KevR wrote: »
    Don't see any logic for it at all.
    It's the middle of the city.

If you want junctions where cars have priority try the Headford road roundabout or any other of the 100 roundabouts in this city where we pedestrians have wait for 5 minutes and then do Olympic sprints to cross the road without getting knocked down.

If I had my way I would replace every single roundabout in this city with traffic lights. I do not give a **** how much this would slow down traffic - it would make this city a lot more pedestrian and cyclist friendly.

KevR wrote: »
    40 seconds

I just noticed this bit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Please note that the button for the ped crossing was ripped off at the corner of Francis St, crossing to the Court House.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Not to mention the number of pedestrian buttons that simply don't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It's the middle of the city.

If you want junctions where cars have priority try the Headford road roundabout or any other of the 100 roundabouts in this city where we pedestrians have wait for 5 minutes and then do Olympic sprints to cross the road without getting knocked down.

If I had my way I would replace every single roundabout in this city with traffic lights. I do not give a **** how much this would slow down traffic - it would make this city a lot more pedestrian and cyclist friendly.

So even if there's no pedrestrian wishing to cross the pedestrian light should still go green?

Maybe I'm wrong to be annoyed at being held up here many times late at night, waiting for nobody to cross the road! Surely if this was a good idea they would have this done at every other set of traffic lights in Galway City Centre, other Irish towns & cities and cities abroad. I have never seen this anywhere else except at these traffic lights (although anyone who has seen it elsewhere can feel free to point it out to me).

Fact is it would cause massive delays in any town/city if this was implemented on a wide scale. The system where the pedestrian pushes a button and then gets an opportunity to cross (at the same point in the cycle of the lights) makes more sense and does not take any priority away from the pedestrian.

I wasn't having a go at pedestrians, I walk and cycle lots of places myself. I don't mind pressing the button at a crossing as a pedestrian.

And by the way, I have long been of the opinion that traffic lights instead of some of Galway's main roundabouts would be much better from a traffic flow point of view and obviously a safety point of view for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement