Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much did you pay for your first car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

boardsie08 wrote: »
    My daughters planning on buying her first car, she has her heart set on a 04 Hyundai Coupe for around 12k. I think it's a bit much to spend on your first car when you're a learner and have never driven before but she's determined to get it.

Just wondering how much you all spent on your first car, did you get a "banger" or did you get yourself something you really wanted?

Probably not the best idea seeing as she can't drive, Pick up a banger for a few hundred quid, learn to drive in that for a couple of months then get the hyundai around March or Feb. You can afford to scrap the banger then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

€5k for a 00 Corsa in early 06....even a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ninty9er wrote: »
    €5k for a 00 Corsa in early 06....even a bit much.

"You can rob your friends, but screw your family" - Dodgey Uncle:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

very OTT for something you cant take out on the road by yourself.

ITs a very expensive ornament and by the time she has it on the road by herself it will be worth peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I presume she just wants a flash car. I'd advise against this the temptation is there to drive fast/show off. Stay away from the boy racer image imo. Get her a 1.2 Ibiza or something. You'd get an early 02-07 model for a little over 3 grand with a bit of looking. Looks nice but not the end of the world if she puts a few dings on it.

12k for a 5yr old Hyundai is pure madness.

Car loans are a bad bad idea for a first car(presuming she gets one).

• Advertisement

Is she prepared to lose 7k on it in 2yrs time?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/200849191076432/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Still driving my first car. Only driving 2 years myself though. Bought it exactly this time 2 years ago for €7,500. Golf MK iv (2000).

On your daughter.....12k is way too much. You say she is determined to get it? If she was, then she'd be working hard herself (away from her studies) to contribute to the cost. 3-4k is plenty to spend, and you can still get a nice enough car for her, albeit a few years older. After she's driven it for a year, then maybe talk about your Coupes etc.

I presume she just wants a flash car. I'd advise against this the temptation is there to drive fast/show off. Stay away from the boy racer image imo. Get her a 1.2 Ibiza or something. You'd get an early 02-07 model for a little over 3 grand with a bit of looking. Looks nice but not the end of the world if she puts a few dings on it.

12k for a 5yr old Hyundai is pure madness.

Car loans are a bad bad idea for a first car(presuming she gets one).
    a good point there.

there is a sales technque called divisional selling - say a sky package is 40 per month and 480 a year. The seller says just over a euro a day never almost 500 a year.

if she is looking at the finance packages go thru with her what they are plus the running costs in terms of tax,insurance and petrol.just the basics.

having looked at these and what the alternative ways she can spend her dosh its up to you.

if you are being asked to guarantee a loan i wouldnt co-sign any loan for a car just cos she sets her heart on it.

otherwise once this is done and she is happy let her off.

i am not saying she will thank you but you can lead a horse to water........

The purchase cost is imo the least important expense involved in getting a car. Can she handle €2500 in fuel €400 in servicing €3500 in depreciation €1500 in insurance and €500 in road tax per annum. €8400 in running cost is a lot if you're not earning a decent salary. Thats presuming nothing goes tits up... and it is a Hyundai.

Nobody thinks about this when they're buying their first car.

I'd be buying a micra/starlet if I were her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Hey all!

Tis Mr Boardsie08's daughter here! :D

My dad showed me this thread, thanks for all the comments guys!

I've given a lot of thought to what you've all said, makes a lot of sense!

Definitely has me thinking twice now.

One thing to note though, think my Dad got confused re: the price of the coupe, I was telling him that it would be around 12k to get an 04 here, I'm actually looking at one in the UK, and it works out at around 6K with VRT included etc..

I'm definitely not looking for a "boy racer" car, have no intentions of showing off, going speeding etc.. anyways I'm only interested in the 1.6 version to keep tax/insurance down, and from what I hear the coupes are quite sluggish anyhow, so I think that rules out the speeding anyhow! lol

The reason why I'm anxious to go for coupe now is what with being sterling being so low I feel like it's a good time to pounce so to speak, and I think that 6k all in for the coupe is pretty good.

I'm not too worried about depreciation - *if* I do get it, I'd be hanging onto it for 4/5 years probably anyhow unless there's some major flaw in it and it's causing a lot of problems.

I wouldn't be taking out any finance either, have cash ready!

Re: Ford Pumas.. gah! Hate them! Hairdressers car! Besides, I was checking out prices on them just to compare to a coupe and they seem to be around the same price, so all things being equal, price etc.. I'd definitely pick a coupe over a puma anyday!

Yeah, yeah, ok, so I am a little superficial when it comes to looks of the car! :pac:

I'm definitely staying clear from the likes of a Punto, heard they're more trouble than they're worth.

I quite like Toyota Yaris aswell mainly being that it's a Toyota, we used to always get Toyotas going back years ago and never had any trouble with them so they're reliable.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for anything "flash" per se, but lord knows I've always had a soft spot for coupes! Always promised myself I'd get one at some stage.

I agree about it being a little silly perhaps getting a car like that to practice on, howver my thinking is that I'd buy now, get it stamped as being off the road for a few months and get my lessons out of the way on an old family car (99 Rover 75), it probably sounds foolish to be thinking of buying a car now and not to use it for say 6 months down the road but with the sterling rate atm it's very tempting..

Still haven't decided what I'll do yet, I just feel that if I get the car it'll motivate me to get lessons asap and motivate me more if you know what I mean? As right now there's no push on me to get a full licence.

Anyways, guys, 6k for a 04 coupe, that's pretty good, right? :cool:

• Advertisement

kids dont think depreciation

work out the cost difference - Micra vs Hyundi

its christmas ......so XX for hairdo XX for taxis XX for this and that
    xx for summer holiday.

Put down the stuff she likes and thats the sarcrafice she makes to get the car.

So when your friends go on holiday you will drop them off and deliver them at the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Re: Ford Pumas.. gah! Hate them! Hairdressers car! Besides, I was checking out prices on them just to compare to a coupe and they seem to be around the same price, so all things being equal, price etc.. I'd definitely pick a coupe over a puma anyday!
    I agree about it being a little silly perhaps getting a car like that to practice on, howver my thinking is that I'd buy now, get it stamped as being off the road for a few months and get my lessons out of the way on an old family car (99 Rover 75), it probably sounds foolish to be thinking of buying a car now and not to use it for say 6 months down the road but with the sterling rate atm it's very tempting..

People who call cars "hair dressers cars" in the first place will most likely consider a Hyundai Coupe one too!

If you are going to gamble on the exchange rates, then why not buy the sterling now, but not the car?

I would get the lessons, and then test drive a few cars in the new year. No point picking your car without driving it.

Hey all!

Tis Mr Boardsie08's daughter here! :D

I'm definitely not looking for a "boy racer" car, have no intentions of showing off, going speeding etc.. anyways I'm only interested in the 1.6 version to keep tax/insurance down, and from what I hear the coupes are quite sluggish anyhow, so I think that rules out the speeding anyhow! lol

Still haven't decided what I'll do yet, I just feel that if I get the car it'll motivate me to get lessons asap and motivate me more if you know what I mean? As right now there's no push on me to get a full licence.

Anyways, guys, 6k for a 04 coupe, that's pretty good, right? :cool:

Ms Boardsie08. I wouldnt buy a car if I wasnt running it and if the price is too good look out for crash repairs and the like as they can knock 25% of the value of a car. Leaving it lie up its depreciating.The AA do a car check service in the UK - however if a car is checked by a professional it can invalidate a warranty.

That said - its your own money so if you can afford it........dont let me put you off

But then again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eoin wrote: »
    If you are going to gamble on the exchange rates, then why not buy the sterling now, but not the car?
    Very good point. Buying a car now and leaving it unused for six months is akin to taking a couple of grand and burning it in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I spent €600 on an absolute banger in January.

My sister spent €20K on her first car at the same time.

She's damaged her car at least six times, nothing serious but stupid learner mistakes like not judging distances right. She's had a panel replaced and a bumper replaced. I didn't put a single dent in my car. I think it's because when you have an expensive car you're extra worried about putting dents in it so you're more likely to do so. In a banger you don't really care and don't spend your whole time trying to 'avoid' accidents. Don't know if that makes sense.

When I got my second car I spent €2700. Having paid for my first car myself and seeing how crap it was I really appreciated my second car, which was paid for by my OH, much much more. I spend lots of time making sure it looks nice and am emmensely proud of it. I'm so glad my parents didn't buy me a car, which they probably would have done for my 21st 8 months later as I appreciate my car so much now, and am so proud that I got my first car myself.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I spent €600 on an absolute banger in January.

When I got my second car I spent €2700. .....I really appreciated my second car, which was paid for by my OH, ........I'm so glad my parents didn't buy me a car, ....... as I appreciate my car so much now, and am so proud that I got it myself.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I paid over 2,500 pounds for a 88 colt back in the 90s.

and a pile of shyte it was.......

CDfm wrote: »
    :confused:

I meant that I got my first car myself.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I meant that I got my first car myself.
    Gotcha - I was teasing.

But you are dead right about learning in a banger or tin can.

Cinquecento I imagine would be a great learner car and cheap too.

What did you use.

I nearly bought a Cinquecento but decided it was too risky.

My car was a mint green 95 Opel Corsa. It really was a banger. It had no paint on the bonnet as someone poured battery acid on it before I got it. Interior lights only worked now and again so I could only drive at night if I had someone in the car who could lean over with a torch/phone and tell me what speed I was going. There was a hole in the exhaust. It leaked from numerous places. The engine fan didn't work so during the summer, even though we didn't get good weather, I often had to pull over to the side of the road, pop the bonnet and wait for the engine to cool down. There were many many other things wrong and numerous things I fixed.

Even though my 'new car' is only 4 years younger I appreciate it so much. Nothing like getting into it for a long drive and not having to go 'oh no, what's the noise/smell'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I paid 2000 for a 99 citroen xsara in may.

I got a load of bumps and put a load of cracks on my car. I had it on the road since aug. I drove it in a wall in sept. Got it fixed up. And trashed it in nov. Wont be worth fixing now. And i've about 30 driving lessons since jan. And need more.

So op, and ops daughter please dont spend much on a car. You might be so sorry. You'd be able to gft a reasonable car for 3000 to 4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

€2,500 for a 96 VW Polo 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

95 peugeot 106 1100e a few years ago.Sold it and got a 99 Corolla.

OP why dont you buy her a 97-00 hyundai coupe?

You'd get a nice one for 2-3000e easy.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Coupe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Tony Broke wrote: »

OP why dont you buy a 97-00 hyundai coupe?

Exactly - it still looks the same
    I have no intentions of showing off,

Yeah, yeah, ok, so I am a little superficial when it comes to looks of the car! :pac:

I just feel that if I get the car it'll motivate me to get lessons asap and motivate me more if you know what I mean? As right now there's no push on me to get a full licence.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have never heard such a disrespect for money

I'm 21, and for what I've read here I'm honestly ashamed to be young

we're not all this dumb - trust me

Just... please don't tell us you have a provisional license too
    As right now there's no push on me to get a full licence.

too late.....

I suppose thats the problem with common sense

Its just not that common :(

Flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Exactly - it still looks the same

I have never heard such a disrespect for money

I'm 21, and for what I've read here I'm honestly ashamed to be young

we're not all this dumb - trust me

Just... please don't tell us you have a provisional license too

Ahh come on man, nothing wrong with wanting a nice car :pac:

I agree with you fully that she should probably have a full license before getting such a nice car.Then again, life is short and your only young once so why not get a nice car for yourself, as long as you get plenty of lessons/practice and take it easy out there?

@ OP I wouldn't bother getting something from the UK yet, there will be plenty of deals for a long while both here and in the UK.Having such a car while you cant drive it unaccompanied is madness.

Get a 00 or so Hyundai for 2.5k or less, then when you have your test passed and have a ncb get the better Celica.

This looks good value to me.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-fx/200851191223702/advert

Could it be a scam? Very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nothing wrong with Punto's if you take care of them. I've had mine over 5 months now and not one single problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This looks good value to me.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-fx/200851191223702/advert

Could it be a scam? Very cheap.

Doesn't seem surprisingly cheap enough to be a scam. 8 years old with over 120K on the clock plus a putrid interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

For first car she should be looking at a 1l !!!Yaris!!! or similar Fiesta,Corsa,Starlet,Punto pug 106... etc etc... Small easy to manuver good seating position if your sensible 1-2k and try to get one with power steering learn how to drive pass test then reward herself with something decent and sell on the old car for same as bought after 6 months to a year.. 12k for first car is madness.
    What age is she though maybe she can afford it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Why when I looked at the second pic did the words Elizabeth Duke
    pop into my mind :confused:

It has cruise control though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Why when I looked at the second pic did the words Elizabeth Duke
    pop into my mind :confused:

I agree it does look like cack.

Advertisement