Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much did you pay for your first car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Ahh come on man, nothing wrong with wanting a nice car

I hope you aren't being serious...nice car??
    This looks good value to me.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-fx/200851191223702/advert

Could it be a scam? Very cheap.

It's a 9 year old heap of what was never a popular of good car with 120k miles on the clock €1650 is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

ninty9er wrote: »
    I hope you aren't being serious...nice car??

It's a 9 year old heap of what was never a popular of good car with 120k miles on the clock €1650 is expensive.

Its no Rsx wrztech I suppose :rolleyes:

Still not bad for 1100e, 120k isnt that bad thats like 15k per year.

What's wrong with Hyundai?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I paid nothing for my car!:D It's a 96 opel corsa. Crap but if I do get afew dings in it, it woun't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

What's wrong with Hyundai?

Nothing , they make fine diggers and other plant machines

stick on a breaker or a grapple on that coupe and they'll have a customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Hey all!

Tis Mr Boardsie08's daughter here! :D

My dad showed me this thread, thanks for all the comments guys!

I've given a lot of thought to what you've all said, makes a lot of sense!

Definitely has me thinking twice now.

One thing to note though, think my Dad got confused re: the price of the coupe, I was telling him that it would be around 12k to get an 04 here, I'm actually looking at one in the UK, and it works out at around 6K with VRT included etc..

I'm definitely not looking for a "boy racer" car, have no intentions of showing off, going speeding etc.. anyways I'm only interested in the 1.6 version to keep tax/insurance down, and from what I hear the coupes are quite sluggish anyhow, so I think that rules out the speeding anyhow! lol

The reason why I'm anxious to go for coupe now is what with being sterling being so low I feel like it's a good time to pounce so to speak, and I think that 6k all in for the coupe is pretty good.

I'm not too worried about depreciation - *if* I do get it, I'd be hanging onto it for 4/5 years probably anyhow unless there's some major flaw in it and it's causing a lot of problems.

I wouldn't be taking out any finance either, have cash ready!

Re: Ford Pumas.. gah! Hate them! Hairdressers car! Besides, I was checking out prices on them just to compare to a coupe and they seem to be around the same price, so all things being equal, price etc.. I'd definitely pick a coupe over a puma anyday!

Yeah, yeah, ok, so I am a little superficial when it comes to looks of the car! :pac:

I'm definitely staying clear from the likes of a Punto, heard they're more trouble than they're worth.

I quite like Toyota Yaris aswell mainly being that it's a Toyota, we used to always get Toyotas going back years ago and never had any trouble with them so they're reliable.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for anything "flash" per se, but lord knows I've always had a soft spot for coupes! Always promised myself I'd get one at some stage.

I agree about it being a little silly perhaps getting a car like that to practice on, howver my thinking is that I'd buy now, get it stamped as being off the road for a few months and get my lessons out of the way on an old family car (99 Rover 75), it probably sounds foolish to be thinking of buying a car now and not to use it for say 6 months down the road but with the sterling rate atm it's very tempting..

Still haven't decided what I'll do yet, I just feel that if I get the car it'll motivate me to get lessons asap and motivate me more if you know what I mean? As right now there's no push on me to get a full licence.

Anyways, guys, 6k for a 04 coupe, that's pretty good, right? :cool:

I had a read of your post and although you have the right idea regarding sterling, I still think you'd be mad to buy a car and keep it on blocks for six months. 6k euro for a landed (inc VRT) '04 coupe sounds a bit far fetched, these are going for 12 - 18k here. Can you give us some more details about it.

I think the best thing would be bank the money get the lessons in your own car, something for a couple of hundred euros, get at least 12 months driving on your own in and out of town etc.

Although its a very hard decision as you seem to have got a bargain in that coupe and it could be difficult to turn down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I learnt to drive in my ma's car, put a good few scratches in it (nothing worse than she did herself though!) and then once I passed my test a few months ago I spent €3,600 on my own car, an 02 Skoda Fabia, which remains scratch free so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Why dont you set up a poll- to buy or not to buy -it should brighten up the argument:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hey all!

Tis Mr Boardsie08's daughter here! :D

My dad showed me this thread, thanks for all the comments guys!

I've given a lot of thought to what you've all said, makes a lot of sense!

Definitely has me thinking twice now.

One thing to note though, think my Dad got confused re: the price of the coupe, I was telling him that it would be around 12k to get an 04 here, I'm actually looking at one in the UK, and it works out at around 6K with VRT included etc..

I'm definitely not looking for a "boy racer" car, have no intentions of showing off, going speeding etc.. anyways I'm only interested in the 1.6 version to keep tax/insurance down, and from what I hear the coupes are quite sluggish anyhow, so I think that rules out the speeding anyhow! lol

The reason why I'm anxious to go for coupe now is what with being sterling being so low I feel like it's a good time to pounce so to speak, and I think that 6k all in for the coupe is pretty good.

I'm not too worried about depreciation - *if* I do get it, I'd be hanging onto it for 4/5 years probably anyhow unless there's some major flaw in it and it's causing a lot of problems.

I wouldn't be taking out any finance either, have cash ready!

Re: Ford Pumas.. gah! Hate them! Hairdressers car! Besides, I was checking out prices on them just to compare to a coupe and they seem to be around the same price, so all things being equal, price etc.. I'd definitely pick a coupe over a puma anyday!

Yeah, yeah, ok, so I am a little superficial when it comes to looks of the car! :pac:

I'm definitely staying clear from the likes of a Punto, heard they're more trouble than they're worth.

I quite like Toyota Yaris aswell mainly being that it's a Toyota, we used to always get Toyotas going back years ago and never had any trouble with them so they're reliable.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for anything "flash" per se, but lord knows I've always had a soft spot for coupes! Always promised myself I'd get one at some stage.

I agree about it being a little silly perhaps getting a car like that to practice on, howver my thinking is that I'd buy now, get it stamped as being off the road for a few months and get my lessons out of the way on an old family car (99 Rover 75), it probably sounds foolish to be thinking of buying a car now and not to use it for say 6 months down the road but with the sterling rate atm it's very tempting..

Still haven't decided what I'll do yet, I just feel that if I get the car it'll motivate me to get lessons asap and motivate me more if you know what I mean? As right now there's no push on me to get a full licence.

Anyways, guys, 6k for a 04 coupe, that's pretty good, right? :cool:
    I was looking these up recently for the wife, and I can tell you this for a fact. Any '04 Coupe that you have landed back here for €6k is a bag of shyte. That's a cert. I was inspecting in detail many adds in autotrader, and getting a mint 04 is going to cost at least 2 or 3k more.
    And a puma is a better handling car than a coupe, and no more or less hairdressery! Still, learn to drive then consider buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Re: Ford Pumas.. gah! Hate them! Hairdressers car!

So's the Coupe:)

Buy the sterling, cool your boots and apply for the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My first car was an '00 Ford Fiesta zetec 1.25, back in 2005. Paid €5k for it but I already had my full licence by then and a few years driving experience on motorbikes before that.

Fun car to drive but it felt like it was decomposing. It ate its exhaust, door lock, and the speakers in the front doors during the time I had it. Fortunately the exhaust went during the dealer's short warranty period :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My first one was a 99 1.3L automatic Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback (bought in 2005) for €6200. After it was written off by a woman in a S40 on the N3 only 6 months later, I shouted for a few days at various people in her insurance company and got the full value back :) Used this then to buy a 98 coupe version and held onto that for about a year, till my mileage demanded a diesel.

Great cars though in fairness.. never had a day's bother with either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    My first one was a 99 1.3L automatic Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback (bought in 2005) for €6200. After it was written off by a woman in a S40 on the N3 only 6 months later, I shouted for a few days at various people in her insurance company and got the full value back :) Used this then to buy a 98 coupe version and held onto that for about a year, till my mileage demanded a diesel.

Great cars though in fairness.. never had a day's bother with either of them.

how heavy on fuel was the mirage auto? did it feel very sluggish or did it have some bite? 1.3 seems very low for an auto.

asking as i am interest in one on adverts.ie, have never driven an auto so appreciate any advice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

My first car was a 1.4 honda civic i bought off my mum.....was worth about 6k, i paid 3k for it :D And then sold it about 6 months ago for €3600!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I paid about €16,000 in July 2004 on my first car, a 97' Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 2.8 Commercial, back when I was 18. It cost me a FORTUNE to run in the 4 and a half years that I had it, I'd say in the region of an average of €1k a year in maintenence and repairs... tax and insurance were cheap though. I sold it about a month ago for €5k. In hindsight it was a very stupid buy!

I genuinely am suprised that I am (one of) the highest here so far, I would have thought that €10k-ish would have been a reasonable amount to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

One point to note here is that safety figures a lot more highly in peoples priorities today than it did in the past. If it all goes horribly wrong, an expensive (ie newer) car may help one survive to continue ones driving career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

1995 Opel Corsa for €1200, done the job. I'm not too impressed with Opel after that well of that era anyways, gearbox was horrible! I recently drove a 1994 Astra recently and the memories flooded back at how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just out of curiousity, for those 27 who voted under 500 (excluding those who got it free), what did you buy???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    how heavy on fuel was the mirage auto? did it feel very sluggish or did it have some bite? 1.3 seems very low for an auto.

asking as i am interest in one on adverts.ie, have never driven an auto so appreciate any advice :pac:

Ah I found them nippy enough (well not so much with a few people in the back) and was pretty snappy moving away from the lights for example. Wasn't bad on petrol either- full tank would do me about a week which included a daily commute from Blanch to Shankhill (via City Centre).

No comparison of course between them and the Auto 1.9 TDI Passat I moved up to, or the 2.0 TDI DSG version I currently have which is better again, but I was very fond of my Mirage - especially the coupe as it was a bit rarer at that stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

€50 for a 1990 vw polo, 1.0litre, a few years back:D

Needed a few bits doing to it to pass the nct - put it through and taxed it, drove it around for a few months and sold it for €550:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Mine was a fiat 500 which cost me 20 quid and my mate another 20. We used it on a dirt road for a few months and it eventually turned over and was parked there for several years. Seriously my first venture on the road was a 1969 mk2 Cortina. Great car , had it for a few years and have good memories. Might buy a classic 1600 e to rekindle the memories.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Just out of curiousity, for those 27 who voted under 500 (excluding those who got it free), what did you buy???
    94 VW Polo, €350 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I bought an 89 mini city for £400 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

€2800 for the car and 750 for the VRT, was a '96 Audi A4, i bought the car before i knew how to drive and left it sitting in my driveway for a month while i scraped up the cash to pay for the vrt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

£800 olde irish punts for my 1st jammer - and i drove the sh1te out of it for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I spent €500 on a 92 astra about six odd years ago and spent €4150 on the insurance at the time. Twas a deadly little car. Had to part ways with it after about nine or ten months though as it would have cost an arm and a leg to NCT it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

First Car 1991 Mitsi Colt IR£800 3 Years of driving , Broke re suspension other than that no problems ( came with EW/AC/EM/PS )
    Second Car 1994 Honda Integra €2500 4 year so of Diving no problems till i crashed
    Third Car 1995 Honda Integra €1000 Over a Year now , Need 330 worth of parts .So Far its been good enough

Thats Value for money

I dont recommend spending 12000 ur first car. like everyone else here is prob saying insane , More likely to do damage learning to drive and would feel like a waste in the long run

My next car will be a New Car 2011 Im saving for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

€3,500 for a 2 litre 1998 Almera, got it 4 years ago. Still going strong with nearly 160,000 miles on it, trouble free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

12k for a 04.... maybe like 2yrs ago, they can be got for 9-10k now,
    But if your not paying for it let her buy it out of her own money, and let her fund insurance, tax etc etc !! she won't be long at changing her mind!

If she is a first time driver she will be robbed on insurance

"oh I'm sorry love but we classify your 1.6fx Hyundai Lantra coupe as a sports car, and because your a first time driver, we'd like your right arm and leg in advance"

I paid just over 3000 for a 1st time car...... a hardy polo, and it needed some work too nothing major, I didnt mind the car was worth 6000 with the work done haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

€50 for a 1990 vw polo, 1.0litre, a few years back:D

Needed a few bits doing to it to pass the nct - put it through and taxed it, drove it around for a few months and sold it for €550:D:D

Hee hee, good old Polo. Bought a 1997 Polo in December 2007 for €800, got it fixed up a bit, passed my test in May 2008 and sold it for €1300. :pac:

Advertisement