Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Park, Newcastle

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Is Corrib Park in Newcastle a bad area (for a family) or is it not?

I've been there and it did not look menacing, or especially rundown, on the outside but that's definitely not enough information. And a search of the Net brought up a mention of it as a "no go area" on some forum back in 2004.

Also how about the other estates around there? Hazel Park, Cherry Park, then to go further, Dangan Heights...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I lived in laurel park across the way from corrib park, i did hear bad things but i have to agree with you on the houses not looking rundown or anything. Hazel and cherry park massive NUIG student estates. Further up dangan you go i think its more family orientated with the odd student gaf thrown in! are you thinking of buying or renting in the area?

I am sure it is lovely but it is too near the university and thus overrun with students.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I lived in laurel park across the way from corrib park, i did hear bad things but i have to agree with you on the houses not looking rundown or anything. Hazel and cherry park massive NUIG student estates. Further up dangan you go i think its more family orientated with the odd student gaf thrown in! are you thinking of buying or renting in the area?

I am thinking of renting; there is a Corrib Park house on Daft now.

What kind of bad things did you hear about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Corrib Park was originally designated as a Council Housing estate, however over the years has evolved into people settling and buying the houses. OK, it's no luxury haven, but i'd have no problem living there tbh. The majority of the people there are normal, run of the mill families. Of course you're going to have the odd brat, but don't you have that everywhere? I'd compare it with living in Knocknacarra except closer to town.

Not many students live in Corrib Park tbh. Mainly because they read reviews like the OP has read and thinks it's a 'no go' area which is bullcrap. Prob a good thing, as you could have a family living there and not have to deal with the loudness of students. Laurel is a step up again and is more populated with students, with a steady mix of students. So in conclusion:

Corrib Park: Majority of the dwellers are normal, run of the mill people who are living there long term, it's their home, happy out with familes

Laurel: 50 50 mix of the above and students, again no hassle... I wouldn't worry about parking my car there for the night in other words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

ah just alot of domestic disputes and some rough people living there, but you know how people like to exaggerate, good tip, drive past at night and see is there any trouble/loud noisy neighbours..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Lovely people in Corrib Park, was different in the past but very settled now. Laurel is lovely too but lots of students. Dangan very very quiet, if you have children would be great as is right beside the playing fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

drive past at night and see is there any trouble/loud noisy neighbours..
    Don't forget to count your wheels afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Lovely people in Corrib Park, was different in the past but very settled now. Laurel is lovely too but lots of students. Dangan very very quiet, if you have children would be great as is right beside the playing fields.

Where are the playing fields in Dangan? I only know the playground next to the shopping centre, which is somewhat of a long walk from Dangan.

EDIT: or do you mean the rugby fields? Our child is a tad too small for rugby yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

+1
    Don't forget to count your wheels afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

MichaelR wrote: »
    Where are the playing fields in Dangan? I only know the playground next to the shopping centre, which is somewhat of a long walk from Dangan.

EDIT: or do you mean the rugby fields? Our child is a tad too small for rugby yet :)

Before Dangan Heights, there's another estate on the left. Right accross from that is a road which leads down to the NUIG Dangan pitches. There's an astro-turf, running track and pitches, along with changing facilities - Lovely place for walking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Before Dangan Heights, there's another estate on the left

Dangan Court, Dun Dhangain (Sp??) and the Orchards all down that entrance - lovely place to live - im across the road on the way down to the pitches

Great for a family and i know that the house at the top of the entrance is for rent at the moment - i think its Remax Galway who are the agents and its approx. 1000e pm if i remember rightly - its on daft anyways

I only know this because a friend of mine was/is looking at house out here too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Dangan Court, Dun Dhangain (Sp??) and the Orchards all down that entrance - lovely place to live - im across the road on the way down to the pitches

Great for a family and i know that the house at the top of the entrance is for rent at the moment - i think its Remax Galway who are the agents and its approx. 1000e pm if i remember rightly - its on daft anyways

I only know this because a friend of mine was/is looking at house out here too

It's a great place for a party i hear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

...and the ghosts and haunted houses in corrib park add character...id snap it up but after seeing photo the house on the right is refurbished so expect students...if its on the street i think it is its very quiet there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 130r

Corrib park's no problem these days just like Shantalla. I was at a party in a friends there recently and we did get a bit of hassle from local heads popping over the back wall looking to gatecrash / take over but no great drama. You'll get a much bigger garden in Shantalla btw. You'll need the extension room though since the 1950's stock is tiny. Snipe lawn might be a good bet if your looking for something a bit more substantial. There are a couple of semi d's newly redeveloped on Snipe ave. also. It looks like student stock but might be worth a look.

It might never amount to anything but two Gluas light rail lines will intersect at the back of the hospital. Check www.all3e.ie to see the routes.

Some of the estates behind it like Inneshanagh might still be dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 130r

Sorry that was www.all3d.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The area is grand, very safe and very convenient to town. Further down the Siobhan Mckenna road is possibly a little more dodgy, tho i cannot categorically say that it is.

Dangan is a bit further away, and the houses are not as well built; Laurel park for example was an O Malley built estate so the houses are that bit more solid. There are a lot more families in Laurel park now also, but still some students.

One tip on the Corrib park houses, make sure it has been reinsulated etc, When those house were first built they lacked such things, but a lot of them have been refurbished over the years so it's not usually a problem in them anymore.

Happy house hunting!!!

Just to set the record straight, Dangan Heights was also built by O Malley, they are almost identical to Laurel Park. Contacts with O Malley so just want the facts exactly that.

Just to set the record straight, Dangan Heights was also built by O Malley, they are almost identical to Laurel Park. Contacts with O Malley so just want the facts exactly that.

They aren't identical to Laurel park. For a start there's no bungalows and the semi's are smaller.

Maybe O Malley did build them but they're a **** house by comparison.

And as somebody who lived in both, that's a fact;)

Interesting comment, between myself and another family member own one of each. Obviously meant the semi-detached when I said they were almost identical. Dangan admittedly has a bigger garden, double the insulation and a downstairs bathroom but Laurel is closer to town. Have never heard that opinion before but will take it on board when renting them out. The semis are bigger in Dangan by the way, just checked the two plans. That part baffled me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mark-zapcat

there is alot of heroin addicts/dealers in corrib park not an alarmist just telling you what i know

• Advertisement

Interesting comment, between myself and another family member own one of each. Obviously meant the semi-detached when I said they were almost identical. Dangan admittedly has a bigger garden, double the insulation and a downstairs bathroom but Laurel is closer to town. Have never heard that opinion before but will take it on board when renting them out. The semis are bigger in Dangan by the way, just checked the two plans. That part baffled me!

We're definately talking about different semi's then; no matter, mayb I have the wrong estate.

Interestingly; from your post I see evidence of a little bit of bragging(about the properties you own; happen some of us own houses in these area also but we don't believe in bragging about them on the internet:rolleyes:); and a certain amount of pedanticism....especially if you really did ACTUALLY check those plans for the sake of proving your point on a silly thread.....which is also a bit petty to be honest.

In another thread of yours, you wonder why you are single?? Perhaps the above is something you could work on....none are traits that men like particularly....just a thought....

Happy Christmas,

MH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

yeah if ur one of those absentee landlords :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... from your post I see evidence of a little bit of bragging(about the properties you own; happen some of us own houses in these area also but we don't believe in bragging about them on the internet:rolleyes:); and a certain amount of pedanticism....especially if you really did ACTUALLY check those plans for the sake of proving your point on a silly thread.....which is also a bit petty to be honest.

In another thread of yours, you wonder why you are single?? Perhaps the above is something you could work on....none are traits that men like particularly....just a thought....

Congratulations manukahoney, that post must be a strong contender for the "Jerk of the Year 2008" award.

There's no bragging there, simply statements of fact. Most property owners are aware of the "reputation" of their areas. Organised ones have plans and other useful documents filed and easily accessible, so checking them is no great drama, even for a "silly thread". (Threads on here can have more influence on public opinion than you might guess, BTW.)

No bragging, I've worked really hard to get where I am. As such, everyone who has ever bought knows the importance of checking plans and such. I'm probably single because I want the best for myself and won't settle and I've had to work hard, while most people I know got handouts I worked 30plus hours a week from fifth year on. I'm proud of myself but none of what you said, thanks for your opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Only a woman would stoop to your level, honestly Manukahoney, how did her other thread have anything to do with this? So glad to be a man, at least we play fair, catty. Been watching these boards but just had to reply to that, fight facts with facts, not hot air. If you owned a property there you'd know the layout at the very least, not to mention footage. Best of luck gg, hard work pays off, trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No bragging, I've worked really hard to get where I am. As such, everyone who has ever bought knows the importance of checking plans and such. I'm probably single because I want the best for myself and won't settle and I've had to work hard, while most people I know got handouts I worked 30plus hours a week from fifth year on. I'm proud of myself but none of what you said, thanks for your opinion though.

I thought you were single because you can't find a man?

Jesus Christ, everybody works "30 hours plus a week" unless they're in college. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 looney-toone

Im currently renring a house in Corrib Park.

I Love it!! I previously lived in CLifton Park and Hazel Park and they do not compare to Corrib Park.

My neighbours are so friendly and helpfull since the day I moved in. I am currently looking into buying a house there now!!!]

MOVE THERE!!! U wont regret it!!! Any previous problems have most certainly vanished!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i lived in corrib park for a semester and a half in 2005-2006. it was a grand estate but there were 3 burned out cars directly outside the door of my house in that time. my first night there involved hearing donuts coming from somewhere outside. when i walked out in the morning there was a burnt out car on the green (the green around the community centre/church/arch motors)

never had a problem with the estate at all, but the owner said that the cops from town and salthill try to pass responsability for that part of the westside onto each other.
    dunno how true that is tbh :D

Advertisement