Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Tax Back

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hiya Guys,

Been working in Oz for just about 2 Months and wondering am i entitled to claim tax back or is it just my super i get back. I know how to claim the super back but i have heard you can claim some of your tax back is this true? And if so would you reccomend a Tax Back company?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You do it yourself at the end of the tax year which is June. There's an online programme you download and fill in. It's very easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Keano1

Thanks for that so i dont have to be in Oz to do as i will be home by then.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can but just check the site to be sure with regard to bank account details and that.

Thanks for that do you know if you use one of the Tax back companies do you get paid in a couple of weeks or do you have to wait till June.

Thanks Again

Tax can only be claimed once the tax year is finished so you apply after June 30 and it takes maybe 10 to 14 days to come through.

Tax back companies are the biggest rip off going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Tax can only be claimed once the tax year is finished so you apply after June 30 and it takes maybe 10 to 14 days to come through.
    You can lodge a tax return before june if you leave the country as a WHV.
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/14747.htm
    Tax Office policy is to accept early lodgment of returns for individuals before the end of the financial year only in certain circumstances. We will accept your return prior to the end of the financial year:

* if you are a non-resident of Australia for tax purposes and
    o you are leaving Australia permanently, and
    o you will no longer derive Australian sourced income (excluding interest, dividend and royalty income),
    or
    * if you are a resident of Australia for tax purposes and
    o you are leaving Australia, and
    o ceasing to be a resident of Australia for tax purposes, and
    o you will no longer derive Australian sourced income (excluding interest, dividend and royalty income).

Ahhh. Didn't realise that. You still only get the money back after though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Ahhh. Didn't realise that. You still only get the money back after though right?

Yeah takes a bit longer though 4-8 weeks and you must mail it in rather than online, same forms etc, but with an added "I declare I'm leaving this sunburnt country to go back to cold recession Ireland" or something to that effect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

In my experience Tax Accountants can be a good idea to get you a better return, if you don't know what you are entitled to claim. Best to do your research as to what you can claim through the tax office. If you're feeling lazy RJ Sanderson do tax returns online, and they've always given me a good refund, so I thought I'd be nice to give them a plug. :)http://www.rjsanderson.com.au/

Great Lads thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Hey guys,
    Was working in OZ for a while got my tax back and super is on the way.
    But i cant remember whether there was a state pension I was paying into ?
    Is there ? Is it possible to claim this back?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

State pension? :confused: We don't have such here, only superannuation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The other thing to remember is the Travellers Refund Scheme (TRS)

When you are departing you can claim back the GST on goods you purchased in the last 30 days. From memory it has to be over AU$300 on the one invoice, you have to have the goods with you & the Tax Invoice. It's handy if you are looking at buying some thing like a Camera, Jewellery, Laptop etc.

Advertisement