Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

commuter races

• 18-12-2008 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

commuter races
    the fun way to get to work/college/actually i just got up this morning to race my arch nemesis into town, back off to bed now,

so anybody enjoy this?
    how do you usually start them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've got my own nemises.
    I don't know their name but they have a club racing jersey.
    It's a 6.5km commute and this guy used to beat me on a scooter, he realy is fast.

I do race him on the bike too, I'm getting closer or maybe he's just toying with me. :(

One of these days I'll beat him, knocks a good few minutes off the commute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I rarely encounter anyone fast enough on my commute;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

commuter races
    the fun way to get to work/college/actually i just got up this morning to race my arch nemesis into town, back off to bed now,

so anybody enjoy this?

I tend to pull up beside them, rev my engine, leer at their woman and zoom off with a squeal of burning tyres.

Failing that, I just overtake whoever is slower and if they overtake me, the race is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Anyone you meet is potential race material. See someone up ahead, the goal is to catch and pass asap. Someone jumps a red light, it's your duty to catch and pass 'em before the next, to prove that you're superior to them. This is modified somewhat if the RLJ'er is a pretty lady -then the plan is to catch up and stay looking at her bum for as long as possible (curse the bad -for me -sequence of lights that meant I lost the pretty girl on the langster last night)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

commuter races

so anybody enjoy this?

Yeah I used to race one lad who was on an MTB. He was as strong as an ox! I chatted to him one day and was very surprised to learn he didn't race. I'm pretty sure he was doing his damndest to stay in front of me, because I know I was! I haven't seen in him in over a year now.

How do they start? I guess when two people of similar ability sync up on a commute... a spark flies... the competitive nature is drawn out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Commuter racing is the best and purest form of racing there is.

I had a guy overtake me at the lights the other day at the start of my commute and initially was a bit narked, but then he set off and he was fast! Heart rate was up at 170+ chasing and before too long I was dropped. Only his bad luck and my superior knowledge of the all-out sprint necessary between one particular set of lights got me ahead (he was a red light observer like me.)

blorg wrote: »
    Only his bad luck and my superior knowledge of the all-out sprint necessary between one particular set of lights got me ahead

Tactical knowledge, I'm impressed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Wish I had a fellow commuter racer :( One guy last week (week before maybe) who sucked my wheel from Collins Ave to Santry, where he turned off, without saying a word :mad:. I quite enjoyed the workout of trying to drop him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Where around Dublin are the best stretches for races?

The Phoenix Park would be excellent, but there's never enough cyclists there to have a race.

I find the road that runs along the Grand Canal from the luas stop up to Ranelagh bridge good craic as there's usually a few cyclists and of various skills.

And as another posters said above, I can't understand how some of the guys on thick MTB tyres manage to keep up decent speeds! Often I've had some guy on a MTB just off my back wheel when I thought I was clipping along on my 700x25c's.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I only race people with bags of cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

el tonto wrote: »
    I only race people with bags of cans.
    :D:D

I only race with huge and slow mountain bikes.. half of the times i am second.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do the odd time, a few fast guys around, some on mountain bikes, massive calves on them, like the strong guy mentioned. I rememeber arriving in work one day sweating and panting like a madman, and a lad saying, "jesus what happened to you", "ah some bollix passed me out and I had to catch him".

Half the time you don't realise how much faster you are going.

Some also split off and take a different route, it is interesting to see if it is worthwhile, e.g. I am the same pace as one guy so it is good to see if his route really is a shortcut. But I am convinced some lads saunter off the normal route and go like the clappers to prove their route is best!

Around St Stephen's Green is good for finding couriers.

Speaking of racing, how many of you have gone out of your way (missed your usual turn, changed your route etc) just to win such a race? I know I have...

Speaking of racing, how many of you have gone out of your way (missed your usual turn, changed your route etc) just to win such a race? I know I have...

Back in my MTB commuting days, I deliberatly turned off my normal route in order to give up without loosing face. I tried to burn a roadie, got about 40 yards ahead of him and then ran out of steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Someone jumps a red light, it's your duty to catch and pass 'em before the next, to prove that you're superior to them.

I love doing that.
    This is modified somewhat if the RLJ'er is a pretty lady -then the plan is to catch up and stay looking at her bum for as long as possible

lol:D:D - I do this all the time! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

The quays from Heuston to O'Connell bridge is a great stretch for commuter racing. It has its hazards, but you get to know the lighting sequence, and it is possible to do it non stop of you pass through Kingsbridge at the right moment.

On my return journey I like to race whoever turns up from Heuston to Islandbridge on the gradual uphill stretch of John's Road. It is a tedious road at the best of times so it is good to have a reason to sprint it. Haven't been beaten on it yet:D

Beat two guys up Jervis St today, short enough sprint, but I love the sound of all the clanking of gears behind me when they tried to adjust to something quicker. When we got to the lights I stopped, but these two muppets (one on a POS mountain bike, the other on a Speciaized Sirrus), mount the foothpath and continue on up Parnell Street, scattering pedestrians as they go. They crossed Parnell St at the next junction, and the Sirrus guy looks back over his shoulder, beaming. I soaked up the atmosphere on the moral high ground...

Then there was that legendary joust on O'Connell St with the one we know as Verb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I only had one lad I could race with on my commutes, he kept up with me the entire drag from clonskeagh to goatstown on his singlespeed, fair play to him. Other than that it's all BSOs I usually get. But yeah it's vital to catch the RLJs and give them 'the look' :)

kenmc wrote: »
    catch the RLJs and give them 'the look' :)

I regularly do this as I pass people on the commute...

2005-06-30-lance-look.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Coming from Phoenix park to island bridge and to the grand canal .. I see this old guy (looked about 50) on a mountain bike .. and he overtook me as I was trying to get up the slope near N4 .. and the race was on .. Everytime I managed to come close .. he would beat me .. but I wasn't going to let myself be dropped by an old guy on a mountain bike ... :mad:

So the race was on in earnest after the luas stop and along grand canal .. and it took me the best part 2 miles to beat him ... :o

And then I see him take off at the lights barely pedalling ... and I look at his cranks .. and see a big battery pack ... :rolleyes: .. but was I knackered for the rest of my trip to Sandyford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Lambs Cross out the Enniskerry road is great, especially during the summer. Lots of ppl to catch and keep. Got severely toasted by a guy in a Winning Solutions jersey last summer, other than that it was all good :)

Coming from Phoenix park to island bridge and to the grand canal .. I see this old guy (looked about 50) on a mountain bike .. and he overtook me as I was trying to get up the slope near N4 .. and the race was on .. Everytime I managed to come close .. he would beat me .. but I wasn't going to let myself be dropped by an old guy on a mountain bike ... :mad:

So the race was on in earnest after the luas stop and along grand canal .. and it took me the best part 2 miles to beat him ... :o

And then I see him take off at the lights barely pedalling ... and I look at his cranks .. and see a big battery pack ... :rolleyes: .. but was I knackered for the rest of my trip to Sandyford

haha, great story.

That's my route too (or at least it was for the last two months, currently Caskleknock to D1). Haven't ever really come across any cyclists on the route though, usually I'm on my own till the first bridge after the luas stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Lambs Cross out the Enniskerry road is great, especially during the summer. Lots of ppl to catch and keep. Got severely toasted by a guy in a Winning Solutions jersey last summer, other than that it was all good :)

That was probably either Scott McDonald or Richie McCauley so no shame in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

This is modified somewhat if the RLJ'er is a pretty lady -then the plan is to catch up and stay looking at her bum for as long as possible (curse the bad -for me -sequence of lights that meant I lost the pretty girl on the langster last night)

This is the one time you're allowed run red lights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 crown of storms

kenmc wrote: »
    I only had one lad I could race with on my commutes, he kept up with me the entire drag from clonskeagh to goatstown on his singlespeed, fair play to him. :)

could have been me- i commute along that stretch a lot on my fixie- it's a satisfying hill to climb and race!

Good trail of destruction on the way home tonight. Some chap tired me out from ranelagh to clonskeagh, but he didn't take me over for some reason. A mtb man it appeared.

Was about to post about how I don't meet too many people faster than me on my commute earlier but I think a blorg-shaped object passed me out on the way home. Typical.

Myth wrote: »
    Was about to post about how I don't meet too many people faster than me on my commute earlier but I think a blorg-shaped object passed me out on the way home. Typical.
    Ha, were you the guy on the Giant FCR with mudguards at the junction of Clonskeagh Road/Milltown Road? As if so I reckoned you might have been a challenge all right, you were going faster than everyone else!

could have been me- i commute along that stretch a lot on my fixie- it's a satisfying hill to climb and race!

are you australian?

Verb wrote: »
    Good trail of destruction on the way home tonight. Some chap tired me out from ranelagh to clonskeagh, but he didn't take me over for some reason. A mtb man it appeared.
    Ha, were you the guy on the Giant FCR with mudguards at the junction of Clonskeagh Road/Milltown Road? As if so I reckoned you might have been a challenge all right, you were going faster than everyone else!

Ha must've just missed the lot of ye, i was on that road around 6:10 or so heading towards dundrum!

I commute it in the morning on my fixie and find it very good, the gradient is just gentle enough with my gearing that I can get up it at a very decent speed. Reckon I go up it just as quick as on the road bike. Coming back, now that is another matter, it is easy to spin out and the legs are going around like crazy. Managed to _just_ keep ahead of a guy on a Giant road bike one day but it was hard work. I think he was taking it easy and finding it all very amusing.

• Advertisement

Yup, that was me. My reaction when you overtook me was something like 'What the -'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep, there's only one other person who' s crazy enough to attempt the same commute as me, an English guy on a seriously flash racing bike. I can easily keep him when we're on the urban, but when he opens up on the flat, straight, I'm eating dust :(

hah, I must have passed you on the other side of the road as well, as I saw Blorg going by me. Just in Clonskeagh I think. I had my bright light on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Raam wrote: »
    I regularly do this as I pass people on the commute...

2005-06-30-lance-look.jpg

Ha, thats gas :D

I wish I lived closer to town, I can only race against motorists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

......Coming from Phoenix park to island bridge and to the grand canal .. I see this old guy (looked about 50) .......
    Careful careful, not all Boards members are young chappies :D (or lassies!), and don't underestimate the middle aged geezers. Don't forget 50 is the new 40! We might just give you a run for your money! Some great stories here guys and gals. Ilive in the sticks so bump into other cyclists about 2 or 3 times in the year :). Usually shoot the breeze ( no pun intended) and cycle together for a few kms. By the way a Happy Christmas to all Boardsies and I will eventually join you on one of your spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

unionman wrote: »
    On my return journey I like to race whoever turns up from Heuston to Islandbridge on the gradual uphill stretch of John's Road. It is a tedious road at the best of times so it is good to have a reason to sprint it. Haven't been beaten on it yet:D

Thems fighting words. Would be on for this in the new year. Need a bit of r&r first to sort out a chest problem. But you have got yourself a duel, boy.
    (BTW, I am ludicrously slow, but I am a sucker for a challenge).
    Was thinking, this could be like Fight Club, only with bikes, people challenging each other to random acts of commuter racing.

Remember, the first rule of bike club, is you do not talk about bike club.:)

• Advertisement

72hundred wrote: »
    The Phoenix Park would be excellent, but there's never enough cyclists there to have a race.
    Very easily arranged. I demand a challenge:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

ROK ON wrote: »
    Thems fighting words. Would be on for this in the new year. Need a bit of r&r first to sort out a chest problem. But you have got yourself a duel, boy.
    (BTW, I am ludicrously slow, but I am a sucker for a challenge).
    Was thinking, this could be like Fight Club, only with bikes, people challenging each other to random acts of commuter racing.

You're on:D

Sunday afternoon, chesterfield ave -long drag race down to Parkgate St entrance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

No one rocking on the Stillorgan Road...........

Sunday afternoon, chesterfield ave -long drag race down to Parkgate St entrance?
    Cycling down country this Sunday, but yes, a Sunday in January, and I would be on. However, that is hardly a commute.
    There should be commuting rules, such as each biker should have at least a backpack/panier full of work clothes/towels etc. Other than that, all is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Planet X wrote: »
    No one rocking on the Stillorgan Road...........

I am, some evenings, on the Belfield to the New Town Park Avenue junction. I rarely get in races, though. No one around.

Cycling to work in the mornings, around 8-25 from Dun Laoghaire to Town along the low road sometimes has competition. Not enough though, I love humiliating people on fixies!
    :D

Anyone use the Clontarf track?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I bunk off work at 4:30 Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Leeson St. to Stillorgan. Never anyone wanting to sweat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

when i get back on the bike i'd be up for something like that but i think i'd prefer a criterium style circuit.

niceonetom wrote: »
    when i get back on the bike i'd be up for something like that but i think i'd prefer a criterium style circuit.

Thats a great circuit. Used to detour during the summer to do it, but would head North at point c on your map. Lovely short sharp hill at the
    Military road, and drag out of Castleknock up to Mount Sackville rarely has any cars, so it would be good for an all out bunch up hill sprint.

I'd be up for that, and I think std commuter rules should apply -so a bag/panniers/etc that you'd normally carry, and you have to do it on your commuter bike -so fixies for the fixie riders, road bikes for the losers (sorry folks!), and we can see who's better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

hee hee...that will be some obstacle course on a sunday afternoon with all the kiddies jumping out of the parked cars all excited about their day in the zoo! :D

Very easily arranged. I demand a challenge:).
    niceonetom wrote: »

I'd be up for something like this in the New Year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I think you're forgetting the second rule of Bike Club.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 crown of storms

I commute it in the morning on my fixie and find it very good, the gradient is just gentle enough with my gearing that I can get up it at a very decent speed. Reckon I go up it just as quick as on the road bike. Coming back, now that is another matter, it is easy to spin out and the legs are going around like crazy.

i have two bikes with different gearing- 46/17(bowery) and 49/16 (pista)and i often wonder which is better for hills- the easier gear for climbing or the bigger gear for descending??
    although i find i'm using the bowery more in this wind!

• Advertisement
Advertisement