Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

commuter races

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jip wrote: »
    I did, it was probably the most enjoyably 'race' I had due to the absence of things like traffic lights and other traffic and the fact I could see it all play out ahead of me. I must admit I did grin a little as I went on by. Of course I didn't look over my shoulder until came near the gate, I didn't want to make it obvious I was racing too !
    You never look over your shoulder. If you look, you have lost the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

My excuse was that I was checking nothing was to my right as I moved around a pedestrian to exit the pedestrian gate ! It was purely out of safety reasons :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

surely

first rule of commuter races :

Dont talk about commuter races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anyway, they must have knackered themselves as I caught both and sailed on by them without either taking my wheel. How does the point system operate in the case of poaching another race :p

Sounds like a legit win. Well done.

As for points, I use the London system (with some modifications):-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5141166.stm

seamus wrote: »
    Passed a RLJ on a white Lapierre this morning - single-sided SPDs and a ballygowan water bottle. Didn't look like a serious rider though, so probably not who you're talking about.

That or else I'm getting slower! Looked like SPDs alright, didn't get close enough to see though.

Possibly the same fellah - had drops too. Sure I'll see what tomorrow morning brings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I think I might have a Nemesis! Cycling home tonight, had a fella behind me through the messy parts around Christchurch and onto the quays. He was never too far behind but when I got onto a nice long straight along Conyngham Road and put the head down a bit, he just wheelsucked! I was reasonalby pushing it and haven't had a challenge like that in a LONG time, but he was just there and from the sounds, even managing to freewheel regularly in the shadow of my fat ass.

I let up a bit through Chapelizod and he passed me on the hill up to the N4. Then I kept behind him, returning his favour, and though he appeared to try to drop me with a couple of reasonable accelerations up some of the inclines, he couldn't get rid of me that easily. I kept with him and we parted ways when he sat up and called a motorist trying to cut him off a c**t at Liffey Valley.

If you're him, in a (I think) Vermarc jersey, with strong looking legs, I've got a target now and something to train for. I'm Watching You!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What really annoys me is when I stop at lights and another cyclist comes up from behind and cycles straight through the junction. I keep having to overtake these goons and put them back in their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

What really annoys me is when I stop at lights and another cyclist comes up from behind and cycles straight through the junction. I keep having to overtake these goons and put them back in their place.

Generally these POB goons just get in your way on the narrow cycle lane. I actually think I'd topple over if I cycled at 15kph.

Very few road bike commuters out my way but when it does happen and a race ensues it seems to always occur on the days when I'm tired and I feel like taking an easy jaunt home. Before I know it my HR is in the 90's% my knees are buring like fire. "Nobody beats me on my turf!"

Try cycling the Grand Canal in the morning, you'll always meet several of these tools, and I know it shouldn't, but it bugs the **** out of me every time I stop at the lights and a few minutes later they'll catch up and either go on through the light or stop almost in the middle of the junction.

But it's an addiction for me, I just can't see to let is pass, like Hungycol I still feel like I have to stamp, or at least try to, some form of authority on proceedings
    when in such a situation.
    It's good for interval training though, I really notice how good my recovery is when I'm out for my evenings runs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Just think of it as an extra challenge, that you have you travel fast enough between lights that they can't catch up with you whilst you're stopped.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    Generally these POB goons just get in your way on the narrow cycle lane. I actually think I'd topple over if I cycled at 15kph.

What's a POB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Donny5 wrote: »
    What's a POB?

It's what a Type 2 Fred calls a Type 1 Fred.

Clear? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What's a POB?
    POB = person on bike

EDIT: Too slow:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I thought it was Pedestrian On Bike

Pedestrian On a Bike I think coined by Caroline_ie many moons ago. There is, of course iPOB which are worse still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Pedestrian On a Bike I think coined by Caroline_ie many moons ago. There is, of course iPOB which are worse still.

so is an iPOB then a POB with an iPod?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy wrote: »
    POB = person on bike
    Vélo wrote: »
    I thought it was Pedestrian On Bike
    Pedestrian On a Bike I think coined by Caroline_ie many moons ago.
    I stand corrected.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Rob_l wrote: »
    so is an iPOB then a POB with an iPod?

No, these are iPOBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hey, I brought the term POB to this forum.

I think...

but I stole it from Dave Moulton.

Pedestrian On Bike, eh? No offence to anyone, but that sounds a little pretentious. Dave Moulton is right about one thing, though: owning a set of golf clubs doesn't make you a golfer, but golfing does. Just like cycling makes you a cyclist.

You don't hear rally drivers calling ordinary drivers PICs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pedestrian On Bike, eh? No offence to anyone, but that sounds a little pretentious. Dave Moulton is right about one thing, though: owning a set of golf clubs doesn't make you a golfer, but golfing does. Just like cycling makes you a cyclist.

First rule of the cycling forum: Don't take anything seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I'm thankfull for these goons. I've never real found anyone with pace on my route so i wait at red lights while these pass and then go like the clappers when the lights go green, good fun if they get a big lead on you

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    First rule of the cycling forum: Don't take anything seriously.

I thought it was... don't talk about the cycling forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I thought it was... don't talk about the cycling forum?

Sorry mate, that's the second rule :)

Just wanted to post about my one and only commuter race. Cycling up a hill and gaining on this oul lad, little fella on a little racer, in his jeans and all that. Thought, this'll be no bother, i'll just pass him and be on my merry way.

It's a narrow road so I jump up on a completely pedestrian free foot path (I understand this dq'd me but I was new to commuter racing so didn't know better). I jumped off the kerb again in front of my would be scalp and no sooner was I in front of him when he sailed by on the outside of me, I was up out of the seat giving it loads but he was gone, left me for dead, I cycled home very red faced.

Anyhoo, I was in the lbs today picking up an altura jacket and I was telling the shopkeep of the incident, when and where etc. We were talking about the embarassingly yellow jacket I bought and some equally embarassing trouser clips so I relayed the embarassing story.

He knew exactly who the guy was, apparently he cycle 100 miles every Sunday and keeps to a certain slow speed on that hill as some sort of training technique but when he puts the foot down, he can burn most. Didn't know whether this made me feel better or worse :)

Well I had two races ruined yesterday evening by red light running and path jumping. The first one was looking like it could be a good one, spotted a guy dressed as if he was sponsored by Specialized, helmet, cycling shorts, sunglasses and quite a tasty looking MTB. Just as I caught him he and another guy went through a red light long the canal. That was that I thought until I spotted him again and caught him. The fecker then just drafted me until he took a left, jumped onto a footpath to cut a corner and back into a bus lane.

I was kanckered then so set in for a comfy ride until I came behind another guy in heavy traffic so took it handy. We came up behind some oul lad which slowed us right down and as I was on the outside anyway went by both, which was by no means an invitation to a race. However this guy passed me about half way up Kyber Road in the Phoenix Park and I left him at it. But then I saw him at the top, looking tired and taking some big gulps from his water bottle so availed of the opportunity to catch him again which I did. He pulled away a bit due to me being a little more cautious in pulling out in front of cars at the park exit and was about to catch him again until he went through the red light at Auburn Avenue.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had my first "commuter" race this morning.

Cycling in from Skerries, this guy joined from a side road about a mile into my journey. He stuck on my wheel for a short while, then I got away from him on a downward slope. However coming into Lusk I could feel him getting closer, and when I looked around he was about 100 metres behind, but slowly drawing me in.

Fortunately in Lusk the proverbial 3 busses arrived together and I managed to get in front of them while he was stuck behind. I then stayed well ahead until hitting the dual carriageway just before the M1 roundabout. Again I felt his presence behind me, and when I turned round he was again gradually catching me up.

I managed to get to the front of the traffic at the lights at the motorway junction, and probably gained a couple of hundred metres on him. Heading down the Swords bypass though, he started hunting me down again. I was pushing hard to lose him, but he was slowly but surely gaining (I know I should not look back, but I couldn't resist it).

Fortunately I had to turn off the bypass at the third ropundabout, and he was still about 100 metres behind me. The race had gone on for getting on for 15km in total, and I was delighted to get my first "win" under my belt.

If you were drinving that JCB this morning, I hereby claim my victory (even if you had no idea you were in a race):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My granny walks for exercise.
    Walking is like running except slower.
    Therefore she must be a runner???

I've not had a compact v triple v standard thread for a while so I'm owed this.

Commuter races and all those that partake are the saddest individuals and deserved to be beaten around the head with a U-lock.

tunney wrote: »
    Commuter races and all those that partake are the saddest individuals and deserved to be beaten around the head with a U-lock.

This from a man who plays virtual reality racing in his shed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

I don't partake in gay activities, but I don't go over to the Gay and Lesbian forum to tell people I don't, or what I think of those who do.

Its a shame i didn't post my thread yesterday then, I was going to ask why i shouldn't buy a triple!

Instead I used a google search of these forums and got so many different views in some cases from users changing their opinion from that of three years ago to their present stance.

I didn't and this is what happened, so Im sorry next time I'll just post my pointless threads :(

I don't partake in gay activities, but I don't go over to the Gay and Lesbian forum to tell people I don't, or what I think of those who do.

Aye - but if you were forced to be involved in gay activities, or even if gay activities involving you happened without your knowledge, you'd probably have more of an opinion :)

True that, but if I was forced into such an activity the last place I'd be telling people is on the interweb !

Anyway, I'm more of a poacher, if I see someone up for it or initiates one I'll partake in it (race that is), I wouldn't be one to start such a thing. Kind of like a cruiser in a gay club who's too shy to approach a guy but loves it when hit on :p

Gay activities:confused:? If a gay guy plays football does this make it a gay activity?

What are gay activities? Watching Strictly Come Dancing??!

Jaysus, this thread has been hit with the touchiness hammer, you know what I mean. If you don't, I'll simply spell it out for you. As a man I don't indulge with intercourse of the sexual kind with other men as I'm not gay, it's as simple as that.

If you want to read anything different in that it's your issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Gay activities:confused:? If a gay guy plays football does this make it a gay activity?

What are gay activities? Watching Strictly Come Dancing??!

Here you go.

gaycyc1-715842.jpg

It was you drafting behind me the other day, wasn't it! Admit it! You won't get to Ironman next year taking it easy like that :D

pope_facepalm.jpg

Oh my god, my eyes !!!!!!

How could a man do something like that !

a liquigas kit !?!?

Vélo wrote: »
    Here you go.

gaycyc1-715842.jpg
    Erm....maybe I'm a bit naive, but doesn't the 'girl' in this picture have slightly too hairy legs? Maybe that's what caused the crash...

• Advertisement

Seeing the picture once was bad enough, please don't quote it!

My granny walks for exercise.
    Walking is like running except slower.
    Therefore she must be a walker???

I'm not going to call her a Stationary Person Temporarily Moving On A Street, because I'm not a twat.

Well, not a pretentious twat.

Well, maybe I'm both, but PWSPOBs are pricks.

I'm not going to call her a Stationary Person Temporarily Moving On A Street, because I'm not a twat.

Well, not a pretentious twat.

Well, maybe I'm both, but PWSPOBs are pricks.

If you are going to modify what I said and pass it off as a quote please indicate that you have.

Off Topic
    - Posts that stray off topic will be edited/deleted, depending on their relevance to the topic at hand

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=217760

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Oh dear...did someone get roasted on the way to work !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

dario28 wrote: »

Best so far was just turning up onto malahide road after fairview lights changed and starting to get moving when this guy dressed in full wet gear (lance armstrong shades) bearing in mind its about 18 degrees smokes me on a mountain bike, thats fair enough but the look he gives me makes mr competition come out , game on - he was hammering it even though there was a savage head wind, I couldnt understand it -how could such a gimpy chap on a gimpy bike go so fast , anyway with all my huff and puff I manage to over take him at the fire brigade training center and kept on cycling , red lights at parnell park and i stopped few mins later he pulls up beside me and he was actually on an electric bike - i was fairly wrecked but a good victory none the less -havent seen him since

Just an update - While waiting for the filter right to go green to go into Total fitness on Malahide road coming from town the same Mr T Osser came by done the weird look and went straight through the red light across the malahide road dodging cars and then went around the round-about the wrong way into the apartments opposite Tescos...unreal

dario28 wrote: »
    Just an update - While waiting for the filter right to go green to go into Total fitness on Malahide road coming from town the same Mr T Osser came by done the weird look and went straight through the red light across the malahide road dodging cars and then went around the round-about the wrong way into the apartments opposite Tescos...unreal

Wow - more whinging on the cycling board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

This has been a brilliant thread. I do a 18km round trip commute on a road bike most weekdays and I rarely see any commuter races. I have been involved in a few funny situations with lads on hybrids with panniers etc. I don't know what the crack is with these lads but on three occasions I have pulled up behind them at lights and after they have given myself and the bike a good look over they tear away from the lights. I usually just sit on their heels and have a good laugh at them turning the head left and right to see if i've slowed. Now that I know it's a proper sport i'll make more of an effort. Anyone else had this with lads on Hybrids? I've never had it with lads on road bikes.

Also, a good road for a drag race would be from Church St up through Broadstone and finish at the fire station. Can be a bit tight if traffic is heavy but you get two good long slopes to battle it out on.

D1gger wrote: »
    This has been a brilliant thread. I do a 18km round trip commute on a road bike most weekdays and I rarely see any commuter races. I have been involved in a few funny situations with lads on hybrids with panniers etc. I don't know what the crack is with these lads but on three occasions I have pulled up behind them at lights and after they have given myself and the bike a good look over they tear away from the lights. I usually just sit on their heels and have a good laugh at them turning the head left and right to see if i've slowed. Now that I know it's a proper sport i'll make more of an effort. Anyone else had this with lads on Hybrids? I've never had it with lads on road bikes.

Also, a good road for a drag race would be from Church St up through Broadstone and finish at the fire station. Can be a bit tight if traffic is heavy but you get two good long slopes to battle it out on.

It's bad form to look back. You must never indicate a race is on, but assume tacit competition with all other cyclists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If the number of people interested in "commuter racing" actually raced their bike for real, the sport would be very healthy in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement